Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sophie Wessex

(109 Posts)
Ngaio1 Mon 12-Apr-21 10:09:43

I have long been an admirer of Sophie. I found it very moving to see how much emotion she showed when talking about the DOE. Pleased that the Queen has this lovely lady to support her at this very sad time.

Grandma70s Mon 12-Apr-21 10:21:42

I agree, lovely person. I was also pleased to see their daughter Louise looking so well. There were terrible problems surrounding her birth, for both mother and baby.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 10:29:12

And she was forgiven for very crass behaviour at one time. I wonder why that can’t be extended to a certain other woman who married in?

luluaugust Mon 12-Apr-21 10:36:43

I guess Fergie has got used to it now grin

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 10:37:22

For the avoidance of doubt, it’s obviously nice that she and Edward were able to re-establish themselves and be such stalwarts - I’m just pointing out they made mistakes and were forgiven.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 10:38:20

luluaugust

I guess Fergie has got used to it now grin

??? forgotten about her - she’s beyond redemption

luluaugust Mon 12-Apr-21 10:43:59

I think we may see the start of sorting things out this week. Sophie stayed out of the limelight for a long time and came back to public life whilst giving steady support to the Queen.

eazybee Mon 12-Apr-21 10:56:32

Sophie Wessex made one big mistake; she was foolish and inexperienced, and very much set up; an unpleasant media sting.

Tangerine Mon 12-Apr-21 11:01:21

Slightly off topic, but I'd like to see William and Harry slightly reconcile when they meet at their grandfather's funeral.

It will take work and time but they were close once and it would be good if that could happen again. I suspect the Queen would like it too.

Yes, I like Sophie too. Why shouldn't she make one mistake anyway? Most people make mistakes.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 11:03:38

eazybee

Sophie Wessex made one big mistake; she was foolish and inexperienced, and very much set up; an unpleasant media sting.

She was a similar age to MM, had been married for two years and in a relationship with him for about 8. She had a PR background and the advantage of growing up the UK in terms of being aware. I love the term media sting - she was after making a quick buck and apparently said some pretty unwise things about several people - both royal and political. But she was given another chance

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 11:07:27

Yes, Sophie did make a mistake. It was whilst she was still working just after her marriage. It just goes to show how less than honourable people will try to use and manipulate the royals for their own benefit.
I like what I’ve seen of Sophie. I think Sophie and Edward have both stepped up to the mark since they stopped working commercially. Neither Sophie nor Edward have ever given an interview critical of the RF. They learnt from their early mistakes and moved forward providing a completely supportive role to the monarchy. I’ve heard that the Queen is extremely fond of Sophie. I can see why.

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Apr-21 11:12:57

It’s nice to think the Queen is close to Sophie and from what I see is close to Camilla too these days. Since losing her mum and her sister it is good to know her Majesty has these family members who she seems very fond of, and they of her.

Casdon Mon 12-Apr-21 11:14:02

I think Sophie was a quick learner, one mistake and she’s kept her own counsel ever since. She has the major strength for a royal of not being a personal publicity seeker, in fact she seems quite the opposite. Maybe she learned from Princess Anne, and is humble enough to take advice, they do walk a very narrow tightrope of public opinion.

trisher Mon 12-Apr-21 11:15:13

Usual Good v. Bad Royals. Sophie, Anne= good. Fergie, Meghan=bad. It's speculation and imagination fuelled by press and media reports. You don't know any of them.

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Apr-21 11:16:19

You’re right trisher but I am happy to give my speculative opinion,

Casdon Mon 12-Apr-21 11:17:09

You do know which ones court publicity though trisher because they are quoted ad nauseum when they raise their heads about the parapet.

Callistemon Mon 12-Apr-21 11:21:17

Sophie made a mistake, learnt by it quickly and has kept a low profile since.

Meghan and Sarah went to America and courted publicity.
To be fair, Sarah has learnt by her mistakes, although she was a very slow learner!

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 11:33:02

I don’t believe in the good royal, bad royal theory. People, whether public figures or private citizens, are judged by what they do. Thus many people intensely dislike Piers Morgan (as an example.) Usually people who don’t like him judge him by what he does, as indeed his fans judge him by what he does. He’s liked or disliked according to his actions. Most people, whether they like him or dislike him, do not know him and have never met him. I use him as an example only.
It’s the same with the royals. People form a judgment based on the behaviour of well known people. Sophie has shown herself to be supportive to the RF and appears very pleasant when she occasionally speaks. This is what she is judged on. She appears likeable, she supports the monarch, she keeps her council, and she learns from mistakes. That would appear to be why she is seen in a favourable light.

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 11:34:22

.....Sarah has learnt by her mistakes, although she was a very slow learner!
gringringrin

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 11:34:23

trisher

Usual Good v. Bad Royals. Sophie, Anne= good. Fergie, Meghan=bad. It's speculation and imagination fuelled by press and media reports. You don't know any of them.

That was my point.

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 11:36:20

If we were only allowed an opinion on our direct experiences, then we’d have very few opinions.

Lillie Mon 12-Apr-21 11:39:40

From what I have seen, I would like Sophie as a friend. She looks kind and caring.
I would also like Fergie as a friend for some fun and laughs.
I would like Zara as a daughter in law, maybe The Duchess of Cambridge too.
From what I have seen, I would not like Meghan in any form, other than maybe respecting her as mother to my grandchild.
Why, I do not know? Just gut feelings.

trisher Mon 12-Apr-21 11:42:45

So Edward and Sophie, failed businesses, which both used royal connections to establish, but were still unsuccessful, so they fell back on the family firm. =good royals.
Meghan and Harry who seem to have become independent and are earning money=bad royals.
Is that how it works then? The spongers are OK the others aren't?

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Apr-21 11:52:56

My opinion was of the people rather than their business acumen.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 11:53:56

Another who's in the same league as Kate, middle class parents with no particular background that stands out but nevertheless a very nice " ordinary "person.