Gransnet forums

News & politics

They don’t help themselves do they?

(400 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 10:52:14

I can hardly believe I’m going to post this but does anyone else find it hard to believe that Harry and Andrew who actually saw active service for Queen and country are to wear suits for the funeral rather than uniform? I understand why this decision has been made and I think it stinks quite frankly - designed to humlitate. I don’t know why they’re not wearing sackcloth and ashes actually - petty, vindictive, what a lovely family they are.

lemongrove Fri 16-Apr-21 13:20:16

The thread was started as yet another way by the OP to rubbish the RF. What I find interesting is that the posters who intensely dislike the RF find anything to do with Diana and now Harry and Meghan sympathetic subjects. Presumably because they all in turn trashed the RF in tv interviews.
So Harry and Meghan=good the rest of the RF=bad.
I’m a Republican and the least I would like to see for the future is a very slimmed down Monarchy, but can see that what Harry and Meghan did in rubbishing his family on tv was appalling, and it seems, full of lies or half truths at the best.
I also think that this funeral has actually done ( or will do) the RF some good and go some way to repairing what the Sussex’s tried to do.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Apr-21 13:30:11

One of the most annoying things about GN is how people come on and say "what she really meant was ...."

I suppose I fall into the "intensely dislike" category since I don't see the point of any of the positions that they fill. Well, maybe the Queen and the heir. Do we need a Earl of Forfar? But I think Diana was anything but sympathetic. Manipulative, media savvy, a bit lost, probably a good mum.

I think that saying the funeral will do them some good is particularly bad taste though. Although I'm sure you're not the only one thinking that Lemon.

Grany Fri 16-Apr-21 13:33:18

@simonmaginn
Just heard some Tory say the Royal Family are 'the least privileged family, because they give up so much to serve us' and I'm starting to wonder if we're all in some kind of bizarre experiment now to see how much we can take before our heads explode.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Apr-21 13:38:07

Grany ?

Someone on Radio Scotland this morning was telling us how artistic the DoE was and how he used to design jewellery.

It is not speaking ill of the dead to say some commentators need to take a good hard look at how they are portraying this event.

JaneJudge Fri 16-Apr-21 13:48:55

I am not a fan of the Royal family, as I've said before. I do however dislike the slagging off of Diana. As a woman I feel she was really vulnerable, she had an unsettled childhood and then was married off to the future King who was in love with someone else she herself suffered lots of health issues and then met an untimely death in her 30s leaving 2 young children. It was tragic and it would have been tragic if it happened to anyone. I don't know why she can't be forgiven and left to rest peace (and I am not even religious!)

Grany Fri 16-Apr-21 13:54:39

Yes it's way over the top we must not forget the monarchy and keep them It's all planned the media Tories elite BBC in league The Royals at the top of the pile all as subjects know our place The rich are geting richer the poor get poorer nothing changes.

suziewoozie Fri 16-Apr-21 14:09:27

Does anyone else want to come to the seaside with me? We are planning a fish and chip lunch and until then are back on radio and tv total blackout.
Jane there is not ime an ounce of Christian based forgiveness or compassion on GN for the baddies and especially Diana. It tends to be the heathens who are more understanding of the complexities of human beings. Maybe it’s getting caught up in the dichotomy of heaven and hell that leads to such a binary view of so much.
No doubt someone will be along in a moment to explain what I really meant or to misquote/ misinterpret me ?

Parsley3 Fri 16-Apr-21 15:08:22

Anniebach

Yes, he lied, you are confusing trashy with trashing , perhaps I
should have said ‘bitched’ not trashing

Perhaps you should have but what difference does it make? It is not wise for any of them to be interviewed on television about the state of their marriage, their adultery, friendship with a convicted criminal or family relationships? Whether they trashed, bitched or were just pathetic these interviews were all cringeworthy.

lemongrove Fri 16-Apr-21 15:48:02

suziewoozie

Does anyone else want to come to the seaside with me? We are planning a fish and chip lunch and until then are back on radio and tv total blackout.
Jane there is not ime an ounce of Christian based forgiveness or compassion on GN for the baddies and especially Diana. It tends to be the heathens who are more understanding of the complexities of human beings. Maybe it’s getting caught up in the dichotomy of heaven and hell that leads to such a binary view of so much.
No doubt someone will be along in a moment to explain what I really meant or to misquote/ misinterpret me ?

?
This gave me a laugh suzie ...your disingenuous comments always do.

lemongrove Fri 16-Apr-21 15:50:08

Alegrias1

One of the most annoying things about GN is how people come on and say "what she really meant was ...."

I suppose I fall into the "intensely dislike" category since I don't see the point of any of the positions that they fill. Well, maybe the Queen and the heir. Do we need a Earl of Forfar? But I think Diana was anything but sympathetic. Manipulative, media savvy, a bit lost, probably a good mum.

I think that saying the funeral will do them some good is particularly bad taste though. Although I'm sure you're not the only one thinking that Lemon.

Since Prince Philip actually died last week, then there has to be a funeral!
Not bad taste at all to think that it may be an occasion at which the RF could mend bridges.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Apr-21 16:03:15

What, really? You don't think its bad taste to say that a funeral could do the family some good? How bizarre.

Remember when some politician said 9:11 would be a good day to hide bad news? Same thing.

Elegran Fri 16-Apr-21 16:27:51

Weddings and funerals force divided families to get together. They can be occasions when hatchets are buried and estrangements mended. so yes, it is possible for a funeral to be an opportunity for healing, as well as an time to mourn a loss. Not the funeral ceremony itself, but more the shared meals and the enforced contact with others who share that loss.

Possible, not quaranteed.

Callistemon Fri 16-Apr-21 16:35:22

What, really? You don't think its bad taste to say that a funeral could do the family some good?

I think they can, in my experience it brought an estranged family back together again.
Not my family but people I know who had been estranged for some time were reconciled, mourned together and are still reconciled.

Alegrias1 Fri 16-Apr-21 16:37:08

Just me then. Okey dokey.

Callistemon Fri 16-Apr-21 16:41:44

Alegrias1

What, really? You don't think its bad taste to say that a funeral could do the family some good? How bizarre.

Remember when some politician said 9:11 would be a good day to hide bad news? Same thing.

Actually, I see it as the total opposite.

Instead of bad feelings being hidden, not spoken about, the people concerned may realise that what caused the estrangement was just not worth it and perhaps talk or apologise and reconcile.

A death in the family, a funeral, is often the time to re-evaluate, realise that life is indeed too short for differences to cause estrangement plus, of course, there could be sorrow and some remorse that things were not sorted sooner.

millymouge Fri 16-Apr-21 16:42:27

suziewoozie reserve me a place please.

varian Fri 16-Apr-21 18:19:05

It is to be expected that 99 year old Prince Philip has died.
We can all sympathise with his family, especially his wife, the Queen, but he was 99 years old.

It is very sad that 52 year old actress Helen McCrory has died of cancer
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56770593

It was utterly tragic that 36 year old nurse Areema Nasreen died of covid.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-51952607

Bridgeit Fri 16-Apr-21 18:20:27

How exactly will it Humiliate? what a load of tosh .

varian Fri 16-Apr-21 18:23:46

???? Bridgeit

Aveline Fri 16-Apr-21 18:26:20

I suspect its all going to be a bit awkward for them all just when the Queen needs them to pull together. They are human after all and it must be extremely hard to swallow all that was said in that interview. I see chilly manners being to the fore but precious little real warmth. He'll be back to California ASAP. Just my opinion as are all the other posters as none of us know the real story.

Elegran Fri 16-Apr-21 18:26:35

I think Bridget is replying to a post several pages back.

Elegran Fri 16-Apr-21 18:28:10

Just seen a typo in my most recent post. Quaranteed should have read guaranteed. That virus gets everywhere.

Aveline Fri 16-Apr-21 18:32:03

I quite liked 'quaranteed'. It covered a lot of bases.

trisher Fri 16-Apr-21 18:44:40

suzie I'm already at the seaside and my media blackout has been operational for some time. Whenever someone
is introduced and begins "Well I first met PP...." the off button is operated. Hope it's a sunny day and I'll do a lovely walk on the beach.