Gransnet forums

News & politics

They don’t help themselves do they?

(400 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 10:52:14

I can hardly believe I’m going to post this but does anyone else find it hard to believe that Harry and Andrew who actually saw active service for Queen and country are to wear suits for the funeral rather than uniform? I understand why this decision has been made and I think it stinks quite frankly - designed to humlitate. I don’t know why they’re not wearing sackcloth and ashes actually - petty, vindictive, what a lovely family they are.

Peasblossom Mon 12-Apr-21 12:31:34

Although the Queen can legally give permission for the wearing of uniform (Act 1894) in practice she does not do so.

It is an acknowledgement of sovereignty.

There was no decision to be made. It is standard protocol.

Chewbacca Mon 12-Apr-21 12:42:18

I don’t know why they’re not wearing sackcloth and ashes actually - petty, vindictive, what a lovely family they are.

A nasty, distasteful comment about a family in mourning. Whether you like the royal family or not, try to show a little respect for the bereaved soozy; your persistence in looking for things to be outraged about is becoming an embarrassment.

Lillie Mon 12-Apr-21 12:42:49

Will the funeral be televised?
One assumes so Aveline. My SiL (ex army Afghanistan) is miffed all the football has been cancelled! Nevermind who wears what.

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 12:47:15

It will be televised

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 12:48:03

Chewbacca

^I don’t know why they’re not wearing sackcloth and ashes actually - petty, vindictive, what a^ lovely family they are.

A nasty, distasteful comment about a family in mourning. Whether you like the royal family or not, try to show a little respect for the bereaved soozy; your persistence in looking for things to be outraged about is becoming an embarrassment.

I’m not embarrassed and I’m amazed anyone is embarrassed for me - you really don’t need to be.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 12-Apr-21 12:49:13

I think Boris is right not to attend the Funeral, it’s gone from a full Sate funeral to a Family one and he would be out of place there.
If the Queen doesn’t want members of the family to wear their uniforms then that’s her decision and as a Mother, Grandmother and Queen.
I don’t know why the OP is so bothered about it.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 12:51:37

Peasblossom

Although the Queen can legally give permission for the wearing of uniform (Act 1894) in practice she does not do so.

It is an acknowledgement of sovereignty.

There was no decision to be made. It is standard protocol.

That’s an interesting point - she never does. So there is no decision to be made (daft not to amend the legislation isn’t it) Thank you. They can both wear their medals if they wish I realise that.

ElaineI Mon 12-Apr-21 12:53:11

No idea why people are bothered about this or paying attention to gutter press. They wear what they wear! Wear PJS if they want. Why don't you ask them then you will know!

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 12:53:56

Oopsadaisy1

I think Boris is right not to attend the Funeral, it’s gone from a full Sate funeral to a Family one and he would be out of place there.
If the Queen doesn’t want members of the family to wear their uniforms then that’s her decision and as a Mother, Grandmother and Queen.
I don’t know why the OP is so bothered about it.

That’s not the issue now - I understand those two cannot, others will as they are entitled to. It’s not a family funeral iirc it’s a ceremonial funeral.

Smileless2012 Mon 12-Apr-21 12:57:18

The Duke of Windsor wasn't allowed to be in uniform for his brother's, the Queen's father's funeral.

One can only begin to imagine the outrage, especially from anti Royalists, if both PA and H were given permission to wear theirs.

Calendargirl Mon 12-Apr-21 12:57:23

I think it’s up to them what they wear. As for Boris, I’m quite sure as PM he would have gone to the funeral if it were not for Covid number restrictions. Why would he not?

Chewbacca Mon 12-Apr-21 13:00:22

Is it a slow news day?

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 13:02:05

Calendargirl

I think it’s up to them what they wear. As for Boris, I’m quite sure as PM he would have gone to the funeral if it were not for Covid number restrictions. Why would he not?

I don’t think it is - there is protocol and it’s a ceremonial funeral. Yes of course Johnson would have gone along with another 800 people from all over the world

JaneJudge Mon 12-Apr-21 13:04:33

I wouldn't have even noticed in all honesty, I don't know what people are supposed to do or not do or what is tradition and what isn't

Smileless2012 Mon 12-Apr-21 13:04:58

No it isn't "up to them" Calendargirl that's the point!!

Calendargirl Mon 12-Apr-21 13:05:03

If you’re talking about protocol suziewoozie then it’s a pity Meghan didn’t learn a bit more about it when she joined the RF.

Calendargirl Mon 12-Apr-21 13:06:25

Smileless2012

No it isn't "up to them" Calendargirl that's the point!!

If the Queen is happy about what they wear, that’s the only thing that matters. I’m sure it has been discussed with her.

Rosie51 Mon 12-Apr-21 13:07:45

suziewoozie have you spoken to Harry and Andrew to find out if they do want to wear uniform, despite not being entitled to?

As Smileless says there would be guaranteed outrage if they were given permission, especially for Andrew still under the allegations against him.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Apr-21 13:15:37

I am assuming that there will be no cameras in the Chapel?

I would therefore hope that the Queen enters the Chapel from the back to stop prurient eyes.

Grief is a private process.

Sago Mon 12-Apr-21 13:18:52

It’s seems bizarre that the OP stated on another thread that she preferred to leave the country for Royal events yet seems so interested in the minutiae.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 13:19:44

Smileless2012

The Duke of Windsor wasn't allowed to be in uniform for his brother's, the Queen's father's funeral.

One can only begin to imagine the outrage, especially from anti Royalists, if both PA and H were given permission to wear theirs.

Can you really ? My point was predicated upon the fact that they’d both seen active service and others who hadn’t will be in uniform. And as you know I’m anti the institution of the monarchy.

Caramac Mon 12-Apr-21 13:21:19

My ex-military son has no dress uniform and only a shirt and trousers from his service days. The trousers are great for me when gardening or birdwatching.
#missespointofthread

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 13:25:01

Sago

It’s seems bizarre that the OP stated on another thread that she preferred to leave the country for Royal events yet seems so interested in the minutiae.

Nothing bizarre about it at all. Understanding the minutiae of all matters royal is fascinating and confirms me in my views of the monarchy. I’m interested in many things I don’t approve of - it makes me better informed and I’ve learned from this thread about ex armed forces and the wearing of uniforms. I don’t approve of DC either and am more than interested in his shady dealings.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 13:25:23

Caramac

My ex-military son has no dress uniform and only a shirt and trousers from his service days. The trousers are great for me when gardening or birdwatching.
#missespointofthread

?????

Elegran Mon 12-Apr-21 13:45:20

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. What a useful thread - it could have been used to criticise the decision whichever way it went, and whether it was made by Harry or Andrew, by the RF, or by the military establishment. A gift to everyone wishing to stir it!