Gransnet forums

News & politics

First RHS, now National Rail

(67 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 16:33:09

This country is spiralling into a collective madness. NR charged its web site to greyscale because of Prince Philip’s death. This rendered it inaccessible to users with certain visual impairments. Really ? I mean really?

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:51:59

I've decided that today I'm going to ignore everybody who tries to derail a thread into another topic or tries to belittle or scorn people who want to talk about something that they themselves aren't interested in or think is silly.

ommmmm.......

lemongrove Wed 14-Apr-21 09:58:07

Yes, meditation and yoga are good for calming???

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:59:23

??

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 10:02:26

lemongrove

Namsnanny

1) We live in a climate of fear, so sycophantic vertue signaling is the norm.

2) This is not what PP wanted! (But nowadays the dead count for nought)

3) Look at the USA when Michael Jackson (substitute any s'lebs name from MarilynM onwards) died. Similar madness.

4) Taking trisher's advice to keep calm and carry on would be a great idea......if only people would stop feeding the drama with posts such as these.

Yes, I was going to agree with trisher’s words too, and add that the angry posts from those working themselves up into a froth about anything to do with the arrangements for respect shown by institutions to the death of Prince Philip, should certainly calm down.It isn’t obligatory to start a moaning thread every day on GN.Other activities are available.?

Angry, froth, calm down, moaning ???????

lemongrove Wed 14-Apr-21 10:12:09

Yes suzie meditation/prayer/yoga excercises/ and good old gardening...all very good for the soul and prevent one from turning into ‘Outraged from Worthing’ so they say.

All businesses and institutions will want to mark the death of a senior member of the RF in some way, so it’s no good getting one’s knickers in a twist over it.

muse Wed 14-Apr-21 10:33:02

Alegrias1 I've tried to do that since joining GN in January. A thread had been derailed last week and someone commented about this only to be told it was par for the course and accept it.

OP title: First RHS, now National Rail. I was so angry to read what RHS did on the day and the chaos it caused. I found nothing to be gained by commenting on what had become a "moan" thread about this. Nothing is gained that way. Instead I went onto the RHS Facebook page and, with others, expressed my concern and anger about their action. I felt that was more productive.

I'm with Nansnanny on this: Taking trisher's advice to keep calm and carry on would be a great idea......if only people would stop feeding the drama with GN posts such as these.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Apr-21 11:16:45

Actually making things that are supposed to be accessible, inaccessible is worth getting your knickers in a twist about. Do you know how many lifts open onto steps for example? more than you would imagine. Or how many disabled toilets include a flight of stairs (why oh why) You only have to look at how upset people have been about people not wearing masks when some of those people will have been exempt from wearing them. We have a very long way to go for those with disabilities to have a country they can access easily. Even my daughters PIP assessment didn't have disabled parking and there were steps into the building...

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 11:20:23

First of all muse, I do generally agree with what you say.

But when people complain about threads turning into "moans" it gets my back up. If we are annoyed or angry about something, perhaps posting on this forum is a way of making that emotion heard. If a thread is all negative about something we can either add our agreement or try to put another point of view. I do feel that "moan" is used when a lot of posters are saying the same thing as each other and other posters just want to belittle them.

People can post about what they like. There are many threads that make me go "oh, not this again" I either stay off them or make my own views felt. I certainly don't feel its appropriate to tell people they are just moaning.

Its an internet discussion site, FGS. The thing that is "gained" is telling others how you feel.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 11:24:06

lemongrove

Yes suzie meditation/prayer/yoga excercises/ and good old gardening...all very good for the soul and prevent one from turning into ‘Outraged from Worthing’ so they say.

All businesses and institutions will want to mark the death of a senior member of the RF in some way, so it’s no good getting one’s knickers in a twist over it.

How very very patronising

JaneJudge Wed 14-Apr-21 11:38:10

Its an internet discussion site, FGS. The thing that is "gained" is telling others how you feel

You also you gain things by listening, even if you don't agree. Surely you've all had teenagers at some point

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 11:40:19

Actually, no.

Another good thing is not to make assumptions about people.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Apr-21 11:42:32

Very true! smile mine is doing my head in confused

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 12:13:31

muse

*Alegrias1 * I've tried to do that since joining GN in January. A thread had been derailed last week and someone commented about this only to be told it was par for the course and accept it.

OP title: First RHS, now National Rail. I was so angry to read what RHS did on the day and the chaos it caused. I found nothing to be gained by commenting on what had become a "moan" thread about this. Nothing is gained that way. Instead I went onto the RHS Facebook page and, with others, expressed my concern and anger about their action. I felt that was more productive.

I'm with Nansnanny on this: Taking trisher's advice to keep calm and carry on would be a great idea......if only people would stop feeding the drama with GN posts such as these.

Well I can ‘moan’ on here AND take other action. Funny that. And as Jane says the NR issue was also very unacceptable and said much about how far we have to go to become a truly disabled friendly society. I really don’t get how people have such strange ideas about the role and purpose of internet forums. And quite frankly if GN isn’t to your taste, then you have the option of not engaging don’t you and leave the rest of us to be unproductive, feed the drama and moan?

vegansrock Wed 14-Apr-21 15:02:26

I had an email from RHS, obviously stung by the criticisms offering me free entry without booking a slot anytime in the next month, £10 gift voucher to spend in the shop, grovelling obviously as so many have threatened to cancel their membership.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 15:37:14

vegansrock

I had an email from RHS, obviously stung by the criticisms offering me free entry without booking a slot anytime in the next month, £10 gift voucher to spend in the shop, grovelling obviously as so many have threatened to cancel their membership.

Good news - like the BBC forgetting who they are there for and whose money pays their salaries.

muse Wed 14-Apr-21 17:18:57

Well I can ‘moan’ on here AND take other action. Funny that
Why the sarcasm Suziewoozie?

Your understanding of what I said is inaccurate. I didn't say I moan about nothing on GN. My posting was with reference to only the RHS one. I said I wanted to do something productive and not just agree with other comments.

And quite frankly if GN isn’t to your taste, then you have the option of not engaging don’t you and leave the rest of us to be unproductive, feed the drama and moan? Again, why the need for sarcasm?

Incidentally, I do do both. I moan when I have something additional to add to a thread - not just repeat the same old, same old. There are times, I'd like to click a like tab. Unfortunately GNHQ don't give us this option. That would be really beneficial for some threads.