Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Cameron and the Greenhill scandal

(152 Posts)
seamstress Wed 14-Apr-21 08:34:03

news.sky.com/story/greensill-what-is-the-lobbying-scandal-and-why-is-david-cameron-involved-12272518

I surprised people on here aren't interested in this. Even the Daily Telegraph are having a go. Or is it just that we are so use to corruption in our current government we cease to care?

Alexa Wed 14-Apr-21 09:27:01

The Greenhill narrative is hard to follow and I guess that is why many people are not on the streets rioting and demonstrating against our dear rulers.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 09:27:13

GrannyGravy13

David Cameron shouldn’t have lobbied so aggresively however, as far as I am aware no Government funds were made available to the company DC was employed by.

They were given access to large loans pre-pandemic and MH was also in the picture ( quelle surprise). I’ll try and find a link

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:27:15

Alegrias1

You're right GG13. I think the difference here is that he was in public office.

Unfortunately public office is not what it used to be, or is it?

Perhaps it’s always been rife with corruption and dodgy deals but before the worldwide web us minions never got hear/learn of the extent as it was hushed up and rumours of such deeds squashed.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:27:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post.

Alexa Wed 14-Apr-21 09:27:54

Greensill

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:30:12

Cameron’s link with pigs has followed him all his life. Now his snout is firmly in the trough.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:32:53

“The one on the right has announced a review into the dodgy dealings of the one on the left. Why do I doubt it will be thorough and impartial?”

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:34:12

In the words of sainted Ted Hastings: What has happened to us? When did we stop caring about honesty and integrity?

Polarbear2 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:35:38

I read just today that MPs should swear an oath of truth, integrity etc and should be held to that in the way other professionals are. But then I thought don’t they do that already?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:36:57

Alegrias1

In the words of sainted Ted Hastings: ^What has happened to us? When did we stop caring about honesty and integrity?^

Mother of God!! What is happening to our country?

seamstress Wed 14-Apr-21 09:41:40

Even when a government created enquiry finds failings, things are just ignored- Pritti Patel broke the ministerial code- no problem.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 09:45:52

GG here’s a link to the pre-pandemic meeting
Matt Hancock 'had private drink' with David Cameron and Lex Greensill www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56706619

MaizieD Wed 14-Apr-21 09:46:41

Whitewavemark2

“The one on the right has announced a review into the dodgy dealings of the one on the left. Why do I doubt it will be thorough and impartial?”

I think it's just a dead cat. Why are Cameron's dodgy dealings being supposedly investigated (it's my understanding that the remit of the review isn't actually dealing with Dodgy Dave) when the government is spending large sums of money trying to fend off judicial reviews of their own extremely dodgy behaviour in relation to covid contracts?

I care very deeply about the corruption displayed by this government, seamstress and because of it I make a regular donation to the Good Law Project, which appears to be the only entity able to hold them to account.

I say able because the government has found that it can ignore all the other usual accountability measures with absolutely no detriment to them.

MaizieD Wed 14-Apr-21 09:52:41

Polarbear2

I read just today that MPs should swear an oath of truth, integrity etc and should be held to that in the way other professionals are. But then I thought don’t they do that already?

When a corrupt Prime Minister is the sole judge of whether or not his ministers have breached the Ministerial Code (which he breaches all the time) what do you think?

How much chance is there of 'professional standards' being adhered to?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:53:07

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

I think it's just a dead cat. Why are Cameron's dodgy dealings being supposedly investigated (it's my understanding that the remit of the review isn't actually dealing with Dodgy Dave) when the government is spending large sums of money trying to fend off judicial reviews of their own extremely dodgy behaviour in relation to covid contracts?

I care very deeply about the corruption displayed by this government, seamstress and because of it I make a regular donation to the Good Law Project, which appears to be the only entity able to hold them to account.

I say able because the government has found that it can ignore all the other usual accountability measures with absolutely no detriment to them.

I’m also contributing to the Good Law Project. I started to do so because I am so worried at the direction this country is taking and the governments ability to do so without hindrance from a docile media.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:55:05

suziewoozie

GG here’s a link to the pre-pandemic meeting
Matt Hancock 'had private drink' with David Cameron and Lex Greensill www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56706619

Thanks, I had seen this on the BBC website.

Polarbear2 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:01:06

MaizieD

Polarbear2

When a corrupt Prime Minister is the sole judge of whether or not his ministers have breached the Ministerial Code (which he breaches all the time) what do you think?

How much chance is there of 'professional standards' being adhered to?

Indeed. So -naive I know - an ombudsman or suchlike? Surely they should have the highest standards? Sorry I know I’m being super naive. But they should!!!

seamstress Wed 14-Apr-21 10:04:40

But why would these companies pay huge sums for the services of Dodgy Dave, who isn't particularly bright or experienced in commercial matters- can't be for his contacts book can it?

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:09:57

I don’t know what he did, we switched the news off when this story came on. Nothing that happens in politics surprises me. I wouldn’t trust any of them.

Daisymae Wed 14-Apr-21 10:12:01

It seems from what we know that lobbying has gone to a new level. There needs to be an investigation with teeth, new rules, legislation and consequences. It seems to be though that this is unlikely to happen when those currently in power are the lobbyists of tomorrow and have a lot to lose. People don't go into politics for the salary, its either conviction or the perks.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 10:14:53

DiscoDancer1975

I don’t know what he did, we switched the news off when this story came on. Nothing that happens in politics surprises me. I wouldn’t trust any of them.

And that’s exactly what they rely on and why they get away with it. And before some of you continue with ‘they’re all the same ‘ narrative - no they are not, there are honourable exceptions for example Gordon Brown.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:17:05

How could us all ‘knowing’ about the things they do, stop them? If only it were that simple.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 10:18:20

Daisymae

It seems from what we know that lobbying has gone to a new level. There needs to be an investigation with teeth, new rules, legislation and consequences. It seems to be though that this is unlikely to happen when those currently in power are the lobbyists of tomorrow and have a lot to lose. People don't go into politics for the salary, its either conviction or the perks.

Yes I agree about a new level ( or rather depth). Also I would say a qualitative change not just a quantitive one. A commentator yesterday said the situation was aggravated by PMs and ministers bring younger and seeing politics not as a destination in itself but a stage on the way to making money.

lemongrove Wed 14-Apr-21 10:20:26

Alegrias1

I think Cameron is just a bit thick, really, and was just doing what he thought was the normal thing to do for people of privilege.

The attitude that they are all at it so we shouldn't get too upset by it is what got us into this situation in the first place. We are entitled to expect more of people in public office.

1. No, he certainly wasn’t and isn’t thick
2. Yes, many politicians from all parties try and do what he is alleged to have done
3. If true, was it wrong? Yes.
4.Should it be investigated? Yes.
5.Is it being investigated? Yes.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Apr-21 10:22:39

DiscoDancer1975

How could us all ‘knowing’ about the things they do, stop them? If only it were that simple.

It would be a start to have an informed electorate