Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid funeral rules ..yes it's about PP funeral

(121 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 06:57:05

The rules say only 30 people can attend a funeral and a lot has been made of the fact that the RF are following this rule. Now it seems that 30 people are going to be in the chapel but 750 members of the armed forces will be in attendance to do a bit of marching and band playing.

How come 30 means 30 to the rest of us but 30 can be 780 for this funeral?

Not being particularly anti RF. Just seems an unnecessary Covid spreading risk.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 09:26:53

Its all relative Alegrias. Much less than in non COVID times but either way, for me, best avoided, nice day at seaside planned.

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 09:30:20

As for the suggestion that there is a parallel between this and the army being involved in vaccines.....well, I am actually speechless.
Why speechless, Alegrias? OK I didn't mean the nature of the actual jobs if that's how it sounded, but the way in which troops live and work together en masse and in close proximity to each other.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:30:28

People are legally allowed to work

Military marching bands marching = their work

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 09:32:02

GrannyGravy13

Exactly GrannyGravy. And by it's very nature involving large numbers of people in close proximity.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 09:33:02

GrannyGravy13

That is undoubtedly true- but the issue for some is if they should be allowed to work in that particular way at this particular time

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 09:33:23

The beaches in Wales are swamped , the weekend it will be worse

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 09:36:33

GrannyGravy13
Military marching bandsmarching= their work

That is undoubtedly true- but the issue for some is if they should be allowed to work in that particular way at this particular time.
Actually you might be right. Wasn't there some kind of military band performance recorded somewhere where they were very spaced apart? It might have been at Chritsmas with Huw Edwards BBC.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:36:49

I quote Elliannne - This is just the same sort of work they get called on to do. Marching around playing a trumpet at a funeral isn't the same as organising country-wide life saving medical interventions. But you explained what you mean, I apologise if I misunderstood.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:38:47

There have been far more scenarios that I have found unacceptable under the current Covid restrictions, many before the rule of six applied.

We have an AC in the Forces, this is their job they have continued to work through all lockdowns.

I dread to think what the outcry would have been if Prince Philip’s death had occurred outside of this pandemic?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:40:48

Sorry prematurely posted.

Ceremonial duties is something that a lot of serving military personnel look forward to. After all they can be deployed to a war zone with less than 24 hours notice.

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 09:41:02

Alegrias1

I quote Elliannne - This is just the same sort of work they get called on to do. Marching around playing a trumpet at a funeral isn't the same as organising country-wide life saving medical interventions. But you explained what you mean, I apologise if I misunderstood.

Yep, that's why I went back and altered it. It's the physical aspect of the work being discussed not the actual job.
No worries.

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 09:44:39

GrannyGravy13

Sorry prematurely posted.

Ceremonial duties is something that a lot of serving military personnel look forward to. After all they can be deployed to a war zone with less than 24 hours notice.

Yes, the bandsmen spend hours practising, rehearsing etc. They need a boost to their morale to get out and play. We had several bandsmens' children at our school and I learnt a lot about their lives and work.

vegansrock Thu 15-Apr-21 09:44:42

That IRA funeral with marching band in NI caused a stir.....just sayin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:46:41

vegansrock

Yes it did, but I doubt if we shall see hundreds of people? including politicians walking through the streets behind the cortège?

Anniebach Thu 15-Apr-21 09:46:47

Was it not because of a woman who walked behind the coffin,
something to do with politics

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 09:47:00

vegansrock

I was thinking of that

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 09:47:51

for me, best avoided, nice day at seaside planned.
Shame it's a Saturday suziewoozie. Take care, the beaches are pretty packed over the weekend. (As this thread is all about social distancing.)

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 09:52:36

Ellianne

^for me, best avoided, nice day at seaside planned.^
Shame it's a Saturday suziewoozie. Take care, the beaches are pretty packed over the weekend. (As this thread is all about social distancing.)

I know where I’m going - I’m not daft and I’m not sharing so there ?.

MaizieD Thu 15-Apr-21 09:53:24

How many funerals have people seen on TV where the deceased is extremely well known and very well liked and the route of the funeral cortege is lined with hundreds of people paying their respects? I really can't see that the presence of a military band is really much different in virus spreading terms.

Outdoor gatherings of lots of people, such as the rush to the coast last summer, have NOT been associated with any superspreading of the virus. The bandsmen will be fine, especially if there's a bit of a breeze to blow the aerosols away.

As for the 'It's not fair', brigade, well, it's not fair that 53% of voters didn't vote tory in 2019, or that 48% of voters have been yanked out of the EU against their will. As we are incessantly told, 'Life's not fair'; so let's hope they get over it in much the same way that we in the 53% & 48% have had to...

MaizieD Thu 15-Apr-21 09:55:44

Anniebach

Was it not because of a woman who walked behind the coffin,
something to do with politics

Wasn't she Deputy Leader of the NI Assembly? A Nationalist.

vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 10:05:31

Didn't PP say he wanted a no fuss funeral. Seems to me that 750 military personnel including marching bands is a heck of a lot of fuss. Not exactly following his wishes is it?

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 10:07:09

vampirequeen

Didn't PP say he wanted a no fuss funeral. Seems to me that 750 military personnel including marching bands is a heck of a lot of fuss. Not exactly following his wishes is it?

When PP says ‘no fuss’ I don’t quite think it means the same as when our granddad says it.

Ellianne Thu 15-Apr-21 10:08:52

grin
Yep.

Greyduster Thu 15-Apr-21 10:15:40

I shouldn’t think there will be a lot of “matching about” Going on. I expect if there is a route lining military contingent, they will, under normal pre pandemic rules be three feet apart anyway. They will probably be a bit wider apart on Saturday. All personnel taking part will have been tested for Covid. Scaled down or not, it will be a most moving occasion for all concerned.

trisher Thu 15-Apr-21 10:22:13

GrannyGravy13

Yes but the guidelines say that you should take all precautions necessary at work- so social distancing, masks etc.
It would have been possible to reduce the number of military personnel involved and have them marching whilst observing these precautions. A military band isn't necessary either. Just think how much more impressive and a reflection of the times this would have been if perhaps 3 or 4 pipers had led the procession all socially distanced. And the messgae sent out to the general public would have been so much better. As it is many will look and see a crowd of military people and think if it's OK for them it's OK for me.