Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen and dedication to duty in the 21st Century

(286 Posts)
Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:19:02

Does dedication to duty overwhelm any other consideration when it comes to being Head of State?

Why can a person stay in post, with all the deference that entails, when someone else is doing all the "work"?

Is anyone else worried that a 95 year old lady believes she has to keep on keeping on when many, many other monarchs have moved on in life and their countries haven't crumbled?

Galaxy Tue 20-Apr-21 17:16:28

That doesnt answer why it's a good thing though, it's just the rules of succession, this is what I mean about just accepting something because it's always been that way without any critical thinking about why this in place.

lemongrove Tue 20-Apr-21 17:17:27

Not in the UK Alegrias and many countries haven’t given their royal families much choice in the matter.

If you are brought up to be the King or Queen then you probably do want it and consider it to be a duty that you do it well.It comes with great wealth and privileges attached.

Why sad? Nobody is forced into the job, there is always a family member waiting in the wings eagerly, next in line.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:19:23

I just cannot see the problem with The Queen continuing to be Monarch until she dies?

Senior Members of the Royal Family can carry out her day to day duties whilst she puts her feet up at home (whichever one she chooses)

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:30:01

The monarch is central to government in this country in that it is necessary for that person to sign every law, I believe. So let's not talk about smiling and waving and meeting distinguished visitors, any member of the family can do that. Apparently the job is much harder than that, I've been told.

So, that person has to always be reading and signing, reading and signing, reading and signing. You can't pass it on to another family member. If she passes that on, she's either no longer monarch, by definition, or she needs a regent. So she's never going to be able to put her feet up, ever. Unless she loses her marbles. God help her.

Anniebach Tue 20-Apr-21 17:31:18

She is not going to abdicate, that’s it.

lemongrove Tue 20-Apr-21 17:32:26

Take it up with the Palace Alegrias ?

Jabberwok Tue 20-Apr-21 17:35:43

Richard 11 was murdered, the Queen of Scots was a Scottish Queen before the joining of the crown and James 11 was thrown out against his will, he did not abdicate. There have been six murders but only one voluntary abdication. The Queen isn't being forced to do anything and the majority of us are perfectly happy and proud of our RF exactly the way they are and don't need any examples from Europe.

SueDonim Tue 20-Apr-21 17:39:53

Surely the Queen is gradually moving into retirement anyway. She doesn’t make overseas visits now and other members of the RF have stepped up in her place both abroad (in normal times) and in the UK. The only difference would be in the title, really. Queen Mother was her own mother’s choice and I think dowager is a horrible term, so gloomy.

Maybe with the passing of the DoE there will now be talks about how the RF proceeds from here. Old monarchs, if we continue as a monarchy, are going to be the norm in future, I suppose, given how the average human life span has extended in recent decades.

Galaxy Tue 20-Apr-21 17:46:17

Yes under no circumstances look at what other countries do or even think about why we do something.

Jabberwok Tue 20-Apr-21 17:52:01

No one is making the Queen do anything she doesn't want to do, the other royals will do a lot more as she does less. If she becomes totally incapacitated then maybe the Regency Act will go before Parliament and be acted upon, but even then she would still be Queen until she dies, just like George 111rd. This is how we do things in this country which has nothing to do with the country falling to bits or not. A good proportion of people do not want the Queen to abdicate unless that is HER wish, and I doubt very much that it is.

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:54:44

In February 1689, parliament declared that James's flight constituted an abdication and William and Mary were crowned joint monarchs. www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/james_ii.shtml#:~:text=This%2C%20together%20with%20James's%20attempts,prorogued%20it%20and%20ruled%20alone.&text=In%20February%201689%2C%20parliament%20declared,Mary%20were%20crowned%20joint%20monarchs.

....captured Richard II. The king abdicated and was imprisoned in Pontefract Castle.

www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/about-the-duchy/history/duke-and-monarch/

As for Mary - well, you didn't specify English monarchs since 1066....

Right, back to the matter in hand.

Sara1954 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:57:29

I hope she continues for as long as she wants to, I’m sure no one could criticise her for retiring, but I don’t think she will.
I think the Dukes funeral brought it home to me, how elderly and frail she is, but if she wants to continue, I’m sure she’ll have lots of support.

Calendargirl Tue 20-Apr-21 18:02:57

Galaxy

Well only if you believe duty is the be all and end all. Which I dont. I would have run screaming from that life as well and I am not American. It's probably indicative of common sense.

Well, you’re not Queen, so your idea of duty doesn’t count.

Calendargirl Tue 20-Apr-21 18:05:15

Anniebach

She is not going to abdicate, that’s it.

Exactly Anniebach

End of.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:10:46

I agree Anniebach

Ellianne Tue 20-Apr-21 18:14:10

It’s ridiculous and I've no idea why she can’t let the reigns go asluccasaid Prince Charles is an intelligent human and deserves to at least have a few years in the job.
I agree. I also think that service isn't about longevity, it's about what is achieved during that period. The Queen has gone above and beyond over many years.
Would anyone think any the less of her if she chose to retire? I doubt it.
Charles's reign may be short in comparison but could also be massively important if he slims down 'the firm' and implements some important changes to its function.

Jabberwok Tue 20-Apr-21 18:24:24

Sorry, only one voluntary abdication you can't count being ousted out or murdered. I can't see the Queen being forced to resign or murdered. The Queen of Scots was as foreign a Queen as was any other monarch at that time so can hardly count! Anyway the Queen will not abdicate regardless of the example set by European royals , whoever they are,and we don't want her to unless it's her choice.

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 18:36:36

JenniferEccles

Is there anyone who would do a better job than the Queen despite her 95 years? Anyone with a stronger sense of commitment and duty come what may?
I don’t think so.

That’s no reason not to give some a go.,

Somebody mentioned “pension age”. She’s way beyond that !

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 18:38:18

Jabberwok

Sorry, only one voluntary abdication you can't count being ousted out or murdered. I can't see the Queen being forced to resign or murdered. The Queen of Scots was as foreign a Queen as was any other monarch at that time so can hardly count! Anyway the Queen will not abdicate regardless of the example set by European royals , whoever they are,and we don't want her to unless it's her choice.

“We don’t want her to “. You know I think I might, as I could be vaguely interested to see Charles have a go .?

Pantglas2 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:42:53

Using the pension age argument rules Charles out surely, Lucca?

Lucca Tue 20-Apr-21 18:45:58

Pantglas2

Using the pension age argument rules Charles out surely, Lucca?

Strictly yes but what I meant was that the queen is definitely way way behind that !!

But I’d just like to say I’m discussing this without any particular agenda...makes no odds to me really what the royal family does! They are just there, a fact of life, I don’t have any feeling for them or against them.

Chestnut Tue 20-Apr-21 18:46:35

Whitewavemark2

suziewoozie

I think it’s incredibly arrogant and self obsessed to think you have to carry on regardless. It’s almost as if she believes in the ‘divine right of kings’.

I think to a degree she does believe that. She certainly believes she is God’s anointed.

Two shocking remarks which have left me shaking my head with disbelief. If you can say that about the Queen, who has served the country for 70 years, then you obviously hate the monarchy and all it stands for. One day people like you may get whatever it is you wish for, and this country will be a much worse place for it.

Anniebach Tue 20-Apr-21 19:02:31

When has the Queen said she is God’s anointed?

Anniebach Tue 20-Apr-21 19:05:14

Agree Chestnut , those views by those two republicans only
makes one wonder who they would want for president

SueDonim Tue 20-Apr-21 19:09:21

What do people think the gains and/or losses of the Queen retiring would be?