Gransnet forums

News & politics

X R rebellion at Canary Wharf this morning

(88 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:07:16

XR have shattered numerous large windows in the HSBC building at Canary Wharf this morning.

Do they not realise that replacing these will contribute to climate damage which is what they protest about.

This is just wanton criminal damage!

Janburry Fri 23-Apr-21 12:06:56

Whitewavemark2 caught our attention yes but all l thought about was the violence and not the subject, l support the ideals but I'm sure there must be a better way to get the point across. Every peace rally I've seen on TV ended in violence and destruction its very sad

Cunco Fri 23-Apr-21 11:52:31

There are far better and more direct ways to support children in the 'third world' or women's rights than smashing HSBC's windows in London. I am sure I could find a justification for many such criminal acts if I didn't think this was self-indulgent protest. In practical terms, this will achieve little and set even more people against the protesters.

It is not like the suffragettes who had a justified specific grievance for which there was a solution. As we know, women's suffrage did not create equality but it was an important, necessary step forward.

What we need on climate change, an issue that is recognised and being addressed to a degree, are constructive solutions to get from where we are to where we would like to be. Smashing windows is not one of them.

Rosie51 Fri 23-Apr-21 11:38:51

trisher do you have a car or ever go in one? What if I object to individual polluting by such vehicles and decide to slash the tyres, break the lights and windscreens as my protest. Still OK with "criminal damage" as a means of protest? (no idea why you put it in quotation marks). Ability to pay for said damage is irrelevant. I assume you dismiss peaceful protest as preferred by Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

eazybee Fri 23-Apr-21 11:38:51

People causing criminal damage as a means of making protests throughout history were suffering far greater injustices than these Extinction Rebellion supporters. They have the right of free speech, the use of all forms of media, written and spoken, are articulate and able to promote their views freely at conferences, meetings and platforms open to all.
This criminal behaviour is a direct result of the intolerance of these protesters towards those whom they decide, arbitrarily,are not supporting their cause.
Mob violence.
One of the women arrested, Valerie Brown, considers herself to be a suitable candidate for the position of Mayor of London.

effalump Fri 23-Apr-21 11:35:55

You only have to look at the amount of trash left behind (I'm thinking about the sit-ins in London a couple of years ago) to see that the majority of XR are in it for their 15 minutes of fame and have absolutely no interest, or just plain ignorance, of anything to do with climate change. Criminal damage is never acceptable.

trisher Fri 23-Apr-21 11:35:23

But of course the suffragettes just wanted to "cause mayhem" and "feel important". That's why they were prepared to be imprisoned and force fed, it made them feel really good!!!!

trisher Fri 23-Apr-21 11:32:51

It's in a great tradition of women's militancy. In June 1909
“^At nine o’clock, a group of thirteen women, using small stones wrapped in brown paper, began to break windows at the Privy Council, Treasury, and Home Offices. To avoid injuring anyone within, pieces of string had been tied to the stones, which were swung against the windows while held by the string, and then dropped through the holes. The window-breakers were arrested immediately.^

Despite their determination, the deliberate action of criminal damage didn’t come easy to some of the saboteurs; one noted

To women of culture and refinement and of sheltered upbringing the deliberate act of throwing a stone, even as a protest, in order to break a window, requires an enormous amount of moral courage. After much tension and hesitation, I threw my stone at the window… I was immediately arrested and marched off by two policemen.

These were the women who won the vote.
Let's hope the ones breaking windows today herald a greener agenda.

moorlikeit Fri 23-Apr-21 11:16:18

I am totally with those who condemn this wanton vandalism. It plays into the hands of their opponents by discrediting the Extinction Rebellion organisation. If I didn't think some members of this organisation were stupid enough to behave like this, it could almost be the work of agents provocateurs. Climate change deniers will be laughing their heads off.
I have a theory that otherwise honourable and just causes/organisations attract those who just want to cause mayhem and feel important. They could just as easily have taken up a n other cause. Pathetic.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Apr-21 11:16:00

Nine women have been charged with Criminal Damage after yesterday’s XR stunt in Canary Wharf and IMO rightly so.

harrigran Fri 23-Apr-21 11:11:24

I do wish I was in a position of authority, I would bring back the stocks and put the protesters in them and allow people to pelt them with rotten fruit and vegetables, a perfect use of inedible produce.
This is the polite version. What I would really like to do to these people causing criminal damage is best left unsaid.

lemongrove Fri 23-Apr-21 10:23:40

So what trisher they are a business and no doubt have insurance anyway.That isn’t the point.
In any case they do more harm than good by their extreme actions.
A bit like the Animal Rights people, their protests if peaceful do good, are thought provoking, their so called liberation of animals is simply cruel, the animals are picked off or die of hunger.

trisher Fri 23-Apr-21 10:11:01

Protestors have been causing "criminal damage" throughout history. It's highly unlikely that any of the freedoms and democracy we currently enjoy would have been gained without them. You might ask why on earth isn't the history of protest taught in schools, instead of wars and battles, but actually it's obvious isn't it?
As for the protestors paying for the damage, do you really not appreciate how much financial organisations like HSBC are making and how little they are contibuting towards any sort of green agenda? Paying for a few windows is just a drop in the ocean for them.

Smileless2012 Thu 22-Apr-21 15:21:21

If this latest incident has been caused by radical extremists and anarchists who've infiltrated XR then XR needs to distance themselves from this criminal act.

As you say Callistemon this type of behaviour will antagonise and alienate some who may support the cause but not some of the methods used, including paying people to create chaos and cause criminal damage.

Callistemon Thu 22-Apr-21 15:03:05

The problem with many well-meaning and worthwhile protest movements is that they can be infiltrated by radical extremists and anarchists who have their own agenda.

This then detracts from the message which needs to be portrayed because their actions antagonise people instead of getting them onside.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 13:59:35

Hope they are made to pay for the massive damage they caused, this is rent-a-mob territory.
Like all extremists they don’t care two hoots about anyone else, and enjoy a bit of anarchy and showing off holier than thou credentials.

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 12:17:26

PippaZ ... Can't imagine why people want little ole me to look things up for them! how strange.

trisher Thu 22-Apr-21 11:49:28

The Huffpost has an article about it. The total cost of the London demonstration included feeding demonstrators, but also the costumes, equipment etc needed to stage events www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/extinction-rebellion-protests-funding_uk_5da09183e4b02c9da0495bba

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 11:41:23

lemsip

Extinction Rebellion PAYING protestors £200,000 to cause chaos and grind London to a halt
EXTINCTION REBELLION is paying its campaigners up to £400 a week to cause chaos on the streets of the UK, it has been revealed.

some of the people doing the damage are out of work on benefits but paid buy any 'cause' they join to do the damage and take the consequences.

The DM and Express far-right rubbish on something that was originally reported in 2019.

There is an article - if you want information - that tells you where the money goes and who is funding Extinction Rebellion (why the need to shout?) ...

But you didn't look for that one did you Lemsip?

eazybee Thu 22-Apr-21 11:29:04

Wanton criminal damage.
No surprise in the people who advocate and support it.

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 11:28:07

Vampirequeen. I'm surprised that people who comment on here apparently don't keep up with the news and current affairs if discussing topical subjects.
Been all over the the news.
I remembered this so googled the words 'extinction rebellion. paid agitators' quite simple. a page full from different sources popped up

Sarnia Thu 22-Apr-21 11:11:16

I can't be doing with this lot. Last year it costs councils thousands of pounds to clear skip loads of rubbish from the streets after their protests and encampments. Several pop-up tents left behind which, I might add, are mostly recyclable. Hypocrites. I put out around 10 large purple sacks of litter picked rubbish every fortnight and recycle my household items. So before anyone thinks I am against the environment, I am not.

vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 11:05:12

lemsip

Extinction Rebellion PAYING protestors £200,000 to cause chaos and grind London to a halt
EXTINCTION REBELLION is paying its campaigners up to £400 a week to cause chaos on the streets of the UK, it has been revealed.

some of the people doing the damage are out of work on benefits but paid buy any 'cause' they join to do the damage and take the consequences.

Can I see the evidence for this statement please as I've never heard/seen it before and would like to find out more about it?

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 10:40:54

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:33:46

agree grandmajet

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:32:53

Every action produces a reaction, whether it be good or bad.

That applies to looking to alternative fuel sources also.

Unless we are all prepared to go back to cave dwelling with no technology , to lead our lives in the 21st century we all leave our own carbon footprints .

If each person on the planet does what they can it will help a little.