Gransnet forums

News & politics

X R rebellion at Canary Wharf this morning

(87 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:36:10

In the 21st Century, with worldwide MSM surely it is better to engage with the population than anger them.

I have yet to hear one proposal from XR.

It’s Earth day, why are they not being interviewed on TV, Radio or social media with a positive message for saving the planet?

Alexa Thu 22-Apr-21 09:35:08

Granny Gravy wrote:

"I and my family and friends do our bit but watching scenes like this morning make me really cross."

But people like us would not have sat up and paid attention unless active rebels did some flamboyant actions to get publicity.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:31:15

The women are mirroring the civil disobedience of the Suffragettes.

The criticism on this thread will also be mirrored by the criticism of the suffragettes.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 09:22:49

I know its Earth day, WWF who I support monthly have sent me information about it, they havent as yet smashed my windows.
I understand that in most movements to overcome injustice etc there are various forms of protest, but I quite like coherent protest.

grandmajet Thu 22-Apr-21 09:21:08

I agree with every word you say, GrannyGravy. There seems to be a total lack of joined up thinking with some people, it is a shame when the basic message is an essential one.

Smileless2012 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:18:43

IMO it is "just wanton criminal damage" GrannyGravy and I hope those responsible are identified and charged.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:17:20

The BBC are reporting 19 windows broken, looking at the footage they appear to be approximately 3M X 4M safety / security glass.

The carbon footprint to replace these is going to be substantial , the women involved were filming each other on mobile phones which also come with a carbon footprint

I and my family and friends do our bit but watching scenes like this morning make me really cross.

Right message totally wrong method of delivery, they should be looking to engage people worldwide not alienate them!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:15:34

Earth Day

Jaxjacky Thu 22-Apr-21 09:13:49

I don’t condone any vandalism and agree with you fevertree Greta is on BBC news this morning for instance and there are numerous instances across all media focused on climate change.

fevertree Thu 22-Apr-21 08:40:58

vampire I'm surprised you would say that because Climate Change is in the forefront of the news almost daily anyway due to people like (off the top of my head, recently and ongoing) Prince William, always David Attenborough, a documentary on Greta Thunberg etc. So no need to break windows, surely.

vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 08:15:50

Whilst I don't hold with window breaking it's keeping Climate Change in the forefront of the news.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:07:16

XR have shattered numerous large windows in the HSBC building at Canary Wharf this morning.

Do they not realise that replacing these will contribute to climate damage which is what they protest about.

This is just wanton criminal damage!