Gransnet forums

News & politics

X R rebellion at Canary Wharf this morning

(87 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:07:16

XR have shattered numerous large windows in the HSBC building at Canary Wharf this morning.

Do they not realise that replacing these will contribute to climate damage which is what they protest about.

This is just wanton criminal damage!

vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 08:15:50

Whilst I don't hold with window breaking it's keeping Climate Change in the forefront of the news.

fevertree Thu 22-Apr-21 08:40:58

vampire I'm surprised you would say that because Climate Change is in the forefront of the news almost daily anyway due to people like (off the top of my head, recently and ongoing) Prince William, always David Attenborough, a documentary on Greta Thunberg etc. So no need to break windows, surely.

Jaxjacky Thu 22-Apr-21 09:13:49

I don’t condone any vandalism and agree with you fevertree Greta is on BBC news this morning for instance and there are numerous instances across all media focused on climate change.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:15:34

Earth Day

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:17:20

The BBC are reporting 19 windows broken, looking at the footage they appear to be approximately 3M X 4M safety / security glass.

The carbon footprint to replace these is going to be substantial , the women involved were filming each other on mobile phones which also come with a carbon footprint

I and my family and friends do our bit but watching scenes like this morning make me really cross.

Right message totally wrong method of delivery, they should be looking to engage people worldwide not alienate them!

Smileless2012 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:18:43

IMO it is "just wanton criminal damage" GrannyGravy and I hope those responsible are identified and charged.

grandmajet Thu 22-Apr-21 09:21:08

I agree with every word you say, GrannyGravy. There seems to be a total lack of joined up thinking with some people, it is a shame when the basic message is an essential one.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 09:22:49

I know its Earth day, WWF who I support monthly have sent me information about it, they havent as yet smashed my windows.
I understand that in most movements to overcome injustice etc there are various forms of protest, but I quite like coherent protest.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:31:15

The women are mirroring the civil disobedience of the Suffragettes.

The criticism on this thread will also be mirrored by the criticism of the suffragettes.

Alexa Thu 22-Apr-21 09:35:08

Granny Gravy wrote:

"I and my family and friends do our bit but watching scenes like this morning make me really cross."

But people like us would not have sat up and paid attention unless active rebels did some flamboyant actions to get publicity.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:36:10

In the 21st Century, with worldwide MSM surely it is better to engage with the population than anger them.

I have yet to hear one proposal from XR.

It’s Earth day, why are they not being interviewed on TV, Radio or social media with a positive message for saving the planet?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:38:50

Alexa

Granny Gravy wrote:

"I and my family and friends do our bit but watching scenes like this morning make me really cross."

But people like us would not have sat up and paid attention unless active rebels did some flamboyant actions to get publicity.

Flamboyant actions? Hardly, their actions of wanton destruction have a substantial carbon footprint, the very thing that they are protesting about.

I get my information on climate from scientists and established organisations, XR are nothing more than vandals in my opinion.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:39:53

Reason for women at HSBC

Women and girls are bearing the full brunt of climate change in poor countries in regard to food shortage, health, water shortage and sanitation as well as usually the last to be rescued in an emergency such as flooding.

Reason for targeting HSBC.

Fossil files and their use will destroy this planet. HSBC has financed the use of fossil fuel with £80 billion since the Paris agreement.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 09:40:38

And there is a debate about a range of protests, outrage and stonewall spring to mind. We probably needed them both. However I understood what those groups were fighting for, they were coherent, it's the lack of coherence that worries me. I had no issue with most of the actions taken by Greenpeace for example, but the aims and strategy were clear.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:42:33

The protest at HSBC is very coherent.

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 09:43:18

Smileless2012

IMO it is "just wanton criminal damage" GrannyGravy and I hope those responsible are identified and charged.

Well it could be seen as "wanton criminal damage" or it could be that the other half of opinion on this see it as a way to try and make people realise just how slowly we are taking the end of our planet as we know it.

There are two sides to anything you give your opinion on.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:43:36

Whitewavemark2

Reason for women at HSBC

Women and girls are bearing the full brunt of climate change in poor countries in regard to food shortage, health, water shortage and sanitation as well as usually the last to be rescued in an emergency such as flooding.

Reason for targeting HSBC.

Fossil files and their use will destroy this planet. HSBC has financed the use of fossil fuel with £80 billion since the Paris agreement.

Maybe they should go and protest in China, Russia or even Germany who continue to advance their use of fossil fuels?

Of course they will not, it’s much easier to target a faceless organisation, no thought for the safety of people working in the building.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 09:44:21

It's quite complex though isnt it WW capitalism of which HSBC are a part, has contributed to the lifting out of poverty of women and girls. I distrust those who think there are simple answers to highly complex problems.

Rosie51 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:46:27

It does seem very at odds with the stated aim to actually cause more environmental damage and an increase in carbon output. I think some just enjoy the power trip of doing the damage to the "baddies" and blow the environmental impact. We had that with the ancient polluting fire engine with the dyed water a couple of years or so ago. Thousands of gallons of precious water wasted, London's air polluted, plus clean up costs because a certain faction wanted to make the protest their way with no regard to the environment at all. If I wanted to protest food and water poverty would it be a good idea to destroy a mass of edible food while pouring gallons of drinking water down the drain? They can protest against HSBC without causing criminal damage that will incur a carbon footprint to repair.

MaizieD Thu 22-Apr-21 09:50:34

Can you explain how capitalism has lifted women and girls out of poverty, Galaxy?

It may be a very first world problem, but in the UK it looks more as though capitalism has kept them in poverty with very low paid employment. Perhaps it's different in the third world...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:53:56

Shareholders are putting pressure onto HSBC to cut the funding of fossil fuels.

Look how the protest has caught your attention.

At the very least you may be giving the issue some thought, even if your conclusion is skewed.

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 09:54:12

I'm not sure what you are suggesting GrannyGravy. Would they be able to, for instance, protest in China or Russia? If not it's pretty useless to suggest it. I imagine people are protesting in Germany.

Why would they not want to make their government stop talking and do something?

The problem with each extreme of views is that some spend more time arguing against the other rather than achieving something. Perhaps we should have a thread called "Climate Change. What did you do to help overcome it on Earth Day?"

It's such a waste of our energy just to shout into the wind which is all many of those, who just sit and clack their needles while gossiping about what others do, achieve.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 09:56:12

In all developing countries as capitalism progresses the rate of absolute poverty decreases. This does not mean that hideous inequality doesnt exist.

trisher Thu 22-Apr-21 09:56:34

I was reminded of the suffragettes as well Whitewavemark2 It seems to me to be absolutely appropriate.
As for all the -I'm doing my bit, why are they causing damage? Even if ever single person on GN was to make themselves carbon neutral by 'doing their bit' it wouldn't compensate for the huge damage and destruction being done by big business.
It seems that the suffragettes were right, only now it's not just men who value property over people, it's most of us.