Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some recent Labour Politicians/Councill ors misdemeanours (for balance)

(41 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 14:17:29

The last six months

MP Apsana Begum - charged - Fraud

MP Claudia Webbe - charged - Harassment

Cllr Asaf Azfal - charged - Fraud

Cllr Chaudhary Iqbal jailed - Fraud

Derek Hatton arrested - Fraud

Mayor of Liverpool arrested - Fraud

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 18:03:21

GrannyGravy13

lemongrove

MP’s from all political parties have been charged with offences
In my lifetime Dinah and others investigated.Greed and corruption generally is a fact of life, both at Councillor level and at Minister level.If anyone naively thinks it’s only in one party ( not their own!) they need to think again and do some research.

Your post pretty much sums up why I started this thread.

To excuse Johnson and his bandits?

vegansrock Mon 26-Apr-21 18:04:41

Since when did two wrongs make a right? However many other politicians are corrupt doesn’t make it OK that our government is even more corrupt does it? Oh yes not let’s forget Keir Starmer buying his disabled mother a field so she could keep running her donkey sanctuary. Scraping the barrel springs to mind.,

Casdon Mon 26-Apr-21 18:07:17

lemongrove You’re right there - here’s the list that’s on Wikipedia.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom
It’s never acceptable whoever it is, and at whatever level of politics they are. They are accountable.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 18:09:30

Casdon

It’s never acceptable whoever it is, and at whatever level of politics they are. They are accountable.

I think there are degrees of corruption - not that it’s ever acceptable but really surely it’s worse at the very heart of government?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 18:33:55

No suziewoozie corruption is bad whoever is in charge, whatever party they represent and wherever it is proven.

Proven is the key word!

Pantglas2 Mon 26-Apr-21 18:46:29

Oh Suzie, my mother taught me that stealing a penny was as bad as stealing a pound...

Casdon Mon 26-Apr-21 18:47:38

It’s amazing looking at the list from Wikipedia how many of the historic scandals are at the heart of government suziewoosie, I was quite shocked to see.
This one is in the early stages at the moment, and the accusations are mounting, we could be in a different place this time next week. I don’t think it’s going to go away.

Dinahmo Mon 26-Apr-21 18:57:41

I've glanced down the list of political scandals and guess that there are more involving Tories rather than the other parties.

There was a time when politicians resigned if found out. The last one was in 2016 - Stewart Hosie - SNP - caught cheating on his wife. Prior to that, in 2014 Maria Miller, Culture Secretary, over expense claims and Emily Thornberry over her white van man remarks.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 18:58:20

GrannyGravy13

No suziewoozie corruption is bad whoever is in charge, whatever party they represent and wherever it is proven.

Proven is the key word!

I don’t agree - there are degrees of all wrongdoing - else why do we have differential sentencing and degrees of eg physical violence?

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 19:18:59

Of course it matters whether it’s proved or not. The list you have included arrested, charged and found guilty so you didn’t seem to bothered about the proved bit. But my point is that not all cases of proved corruption are equal and any proved corruption from No 10 is worst of all

PippaZ Mon 26-Apr-21 19:26:26

suziewoozie

I was a bit surprised to see this thread started by a normally very sensible right of centre poster? It has made me think that the right are getting a tad twitchy about the variety of allegations swirling around No 10. But grows right, it’s a silly game and no matter how long a list is posted of offenders on both sides, it will do nothing to mask the stench emanating from No 10.

Every sign of it suziewoozie.

PippaZ Mon 26-Apr-21 19:28:26

Casdon

Interesting list Casdon.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 19:40:54

PippaZ and suziewoozie this previous Conservative voter is not a tad twitchy .

Degrees of wrong doing ?

PippaZ Mon 26-Apr-21 19:49:44

GrannyGravy13

Proven is the key word!

But of your list, five out of the six have not been proved but are going through the appropriate measures for someone who is suspected of an offence. How does this fit with your idea of "proven".

The issue with Johnson is he is a known and well reported repeated and habitual liar. He is using his access to power, given him by the people, to try and stop those things he is accused of being brought to any form of judgement.

When the leader of our country creates a moral cesspit it is difficult to understand where the morals of those who support him lie.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 19:52:04

GrannyGravy13

PippaZ and suziewoozie this previous Conservative voter is not a tad twitchy .

Degrees of wrong doing ?

Yes there are degrees of wrongdoing ??