Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some recent Labour Politicians/Councill ors misdemeanours (for balance)

(40 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 14:17:29

The last six months

MP Apsana Begum - charged - Fraud

MP Claudia Webbe - charged - Harassment

Cllr Asaf Azfal - charged - Fraud

Cllr Chaudhary Iqbal jailed - Fraud

Derek Hatton arrested - Fraud

Mayor of Liverpool arrested - Fraud

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Apr-21 14:19:13

Good to see that they have been charged or arrested though, and not getting away with corruption, fraud etc.

growstuff Mon 26-Apr-21 14:21:48

Whitewavemark2

Good to see that they have been charged or arrested though, and not getting away with corruption, fraud etc.

Exactly! It's certainly good to see they've been charged, so when are those in government going to be charged?

EllanVannin Mon 26-Apr-21 14:27:01

I won't hold my breath.

keepingquiet Mon 26-Apr-21 15:54:59

Yep- they've all been charged. Also they are not in power and 'running' I would replace with 'destroying' the country. Labour has zero power and has not been in government for 11 years. Funny how they still get the flack though...

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 16:12:36

Oh come on GG ????Balance? Balance? ?????

lemongrove Mon 26-Apr-21 16:19:14

I think you will find that the Mayor of Liverpool had quite a bit of power! Which he misused of course.
Probably the tip of the iceberg and shows that MP’s and Councillors from both major parties like to shove their snouts in the corruption trough.

MaizieD Mon 26-Apr-21 16:25:43

lemongrove

I think you will find that the Mayor of Liverpool had quite a bit of power! Which he misused of course.
Probably the tip of the iceberg and shows that MP’s and Councillors from both major parties like to shove their snouts in the corruption trough.

So it's absolutely fine for PMs and ex PMs to do the same?

Pantglas2 Mon 26-Apr-21 16:28:40

Just to add to the pot, check out BBC Wales website on Labour administration issuing contracts to Labour companies without due tender process, cue wailing from tories and Plaid Cymru...

growstuff Mon 26-Apr-21 16:29:31

Joe Anderson was caught and is being prosecuted.

lemongrove Mon 26-Apr-21 16:32:22

It’s never fine for anyone, PM or MP or Councillor, if proven corruption, fraud, has taken place.Note the word proven.

AGAA4 Mon 26-Apr-21 16:33:49

Are there any honest politicians?

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 16:34:59

growstuff

He hasn’t been charged yet has he? Did I miss that?

growstuff Mon 26-Apr-21 16:35:13

Undoubtedly, but you don't get to hear about them because they just get on with doing their job.

growstuff Mon 26-Apr-21 16:35:48

suziewoozie

growstuff

He hasn’t been charged yet has he? Did I miss that?

My mistake.

Galaxy Mon 26-Apr-21 16:36:51

So by this logic if your house is broken into the thieves should not be prosecuted because some other thieves broke into the house down the road.

growstuff Mon 26-Apr-21 16:38:38

I give you Lord Hanningfield, former Tory leader of Essex County Council.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_White,_Baron_Hanningfield

This is a silly game.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 16:48:55

I was a bit surprised to see this thread started by a normally very sensible right of centre poster? It has made me think that the right are getting a tad twitchy about the variety of allegations swirling around No 10. But grows right, it’s a silly game and no matter how long a list is posted of offenders on both sides, it will do nothing to mask the stench emanating from No 10.

MaizieD Mon 26-Apr-21 16:55:17

suziewoozie

I was a bit surprised to see this thread started by a normally very sensible right of centre poster? It has made me think that the right are getting a tad twitchy about the variety of allegations swirling around No 10. But grows right, it’s a silly game and no matter how long a list is posted of offenders on both sides, it will do nothing to mask the stench emanating from No 10.

Precisely, suziewoozie ???

trisher Mon 26-Apr-21 17:16:53

Well the scales of justice remain heavily tilted if you are equating one woman perhaps moving up a housing list wrongly, with a PM getting a back hander from an unknown donor to do up his flat.

lemongrove Mon 26-Apr-21 17:20:26

growstuff

I give you Lord Hanningfield, former Tory leader of Essex County Council.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_White,_Baron_Hanningfield

This is a silly game.

Just as I said upthread, they are all at it.Both in the past and now.Both major political parties.

Dinahmo Mon 26-Apr-21 17:44:49

lemongrove Surely you can see the difference between councillors and MPs? It's much easier to investigate and charge the former than the latter. Remember when Durham police decided not to charge DC with breaking the rules. Although he wasn't (and isn't) and MP he had the backing of the PM. Even police chiefs don't want to upset the applecart.

lemongrove Mon 26-Apr-21 17:59:54

MP’s from all political parties have been charged with offences
In my lifetime Dinah and others investigated.Greed and corruption generally is a fact of life, both at Councillor level and at Minister level.If anyone naively thinks it’s only in one party ( not their own!) they need to think again and do some research.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 18:02:06

lemongrove

In my lifetime Dinah and others investigated.Greed and corruption generally is a fact of life, both at Councillor level and at Minister level.If anyone naively thinks it’s only in one party ( not their own!) they need to think again and do some research.

Your post pretty much sums up why I started this thread.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 18:02:27

lemongrove

Who has said it’s only one party? No one. But only one party is in Government at the moment and they are rotten and corrupt to the core - regardless of what any other elected politician has or has not done.