Gransnet forums

News & politics

Biden does the right thing (although perhaps not for the right reasons)

(58 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 27-Apr-21 08:56:12

From the FT this morning:

US president Joe Biden is this week expected to roll out a series of tax increases on the wealthy, including a near-doubling of levies on capital gains and dividends, in order to fund a new education and child care spending package that could top $1.5tn.

Obviously, as those who have any grasp of MMT will know, this is not going to fund the new education and child care spending package - new money printed by the sovereign state will do that.

However, it has never been just or helpful for some people to pay say 40% on all their earning while some pay 40% on some and only 20% on another proportion of it.

To line up taxation on earned and capital produced income is long overdue. It seems that Biden will do this; it is about time we did the same in our country. This will, in itself, help to tackle inequality. It will narrow the gap between the lowest earners and the highest - the dangerous gap that causes an already unequal society to become even more unequal. It will also help to end the vast amount of tax abuse. If you pay the same on both it is easier to spot the abuse.

I can already hear the screaming from those who have closed their minds to all the explanation about MMT over the last years. Some can give a better explanation than I can but they are more and more explaining to those who just don't want to hear. It may be beyond their comprehension or beyond their politics - who knows - but ignoring the truth is not going to improve the country.

The equality between taxation on income earned from work and income earned from capital is long overdue.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Apr-21 17:15:14

Just trying to catch up. This has strayed a lot from Biden and turned into an economic theory lesson?. Which is good I guess for anyone interested.

My economic theoretical knowledge is relatively limited as I only touched on the basics in my degree as it wasn't a full blown economics degree.

I have tried to keep up since but definitely have gaps in my knowledge.

One thing having a degree does teach you is how much you don’t know ??

CraftyGranny Tue 27-Apr-21 18:34:45

Whitewavemark2

Unigran4

I worked for RM and became a PHG at my local DO. I worked directly under the DOM and was responsible for ordering DBFs, FFs and LFs. I also compiled P118s and DHs......... need I go on?

How many of you understood that? I wouldn't expect you to because it is the jargon peculiar to my walk of life. Similarly, I, like others on here,do not understand the jargon the OP is using (and I am absolutely sure the OP didn't understand my first paragraph).

If you want us all to join the debate, please speak in clear language we can all understand

????

RM = Royal Mail

PHG = post person higher grade

DO = delivery office

DOM = Delivery office manager

I’m stuck on the various forms, but am guessing the P118s are time sheets or duty sheeets. Stuck on DHs .

I might add that I have never worked for RM?

I bet that took a bit of googling Whitewave

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:46:32

????

I need my effort marked

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 10:25:47

The key pieces of the plan from CNN:

Raise the top marginal rate to 39.6% from 37% (back to the top rate prior to the 2017 tax cuts.)
Enhanced Internal Revenue Service enforcement
Raise capital gains rate for people making more than $1 million to 39.6%, from 20%. (The 3.8% Affordable Care Act surtax would still apply, which would push the number north of 43%)

People briefed on the proposal say several other elements are under discussion, including increasing a tax on assets when transferred after death.

It seems inheritance has not been forgotten. I do hope our opposition parties are watching this carefully.

varian Wed 28-Apr-21 18:56:14

I think that Joe Biden has been underestimated because of his age. He looks to me like a man in a hurry to get things done while he can.

PippaZ Wed 28-Apr-21 18:59:04

That would make sense, wouldn't it varian.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Apr-21 19:52:58

He has his eyes on the mid terms.