Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is wrong with John Lewis?

(234 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:50:18

Carrie Symonds was reportedly appalled at the “John Lewis nightmare” after Theresa May moved out. I have seen pictures of May in the flat and I think it looks absolutely fine. Very British in taste as you would expect.

I nearly always shop in John Lewis for stuff, so do I assume my taste is a nightmare?

Apparently John Betjamin that very British poet remarked that when the end of the world came, he hoped to be in a John Lewis store as nothing unpleasant can ever happen there.

Perhaps that it the point - it is all so bland and British that it becomes a nightmare of boredom?

Whatdayisit Sun 02-May-21 11:30:40

Reasons Labour will not win a GE again
SNP in Scotland have took the Labour seats .
Boundary changes in 2010 putting tories in former safe Labour seat eg Outwood and Morley and even the former Hemsworth constituency incorporates some of the most expensive streets in West Yorkshire.
Rightwing/Murdoch media.
Former 'working class' voters are more inclined to vote for their own aspiring interests such as lower tax and things like what BoJo has done with his decor does not bother them because it doesn't affect them.
Kier Starmer is showing himself to be a pretty weak and ineffective leader.
It comes to something when people looked to Piers Morgan more than the leader of the opposition to hold the Government to account in a pandemic.

Bernthefern Sun 02-May-21 21:10:36

Love it, Carrie Antoinette. Sums it up perfectly.

Bernthefern Sun 02-May-21 21:17:05

The only problem with John Lewis is that it’s not exclusive or expensive enough for Carrie Antoinette, as another contributor accurately dubbed her. Doubt that Boris gives a damn, judging by his own dishevelled appearance.

FarawayGran Mon 03-May-21 03:11:50

Ah, Grammaretto! You have brought joy into my life.
I was very upset when that woman (forgotten her name) said she was going to destroy the haberdashery section in Edinburgh's JL. There is nothing like it - anywhere!
I am delighted to see that they have changed their mind.
Now that we can get out and about having had our jabs/jags I shall be back ASAP
As far as the original post, I agree that the MPs should be allocated flats. Furnished from JL of course

vegansrock Mon 03-May-21 04:26:02

When you think about it - it’s appropriate that Johnson’s flat is done up like a tart’s boudoir.

M0nica Mon 03-May-21 19:00:27

vegansrock grin

Oldbat1 Mon 03-May-21 19:10:49

Daughter loves John Lewis but I find it expensive. Mind you I did buy a washing machine from them branded JL and it is 10yrs old now and still going strong. It was in the sale and came with 5yrs guarantee.

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 19:21:45

What is wrong with John Lewis?

and came with 5yrs guarantee.
Just as well it didn't go wrong, Oldbat because the guarantee is hardly worth the paper it's written on.

Perhaps Carrie has a point!