Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone understand why Johnson is so far ahead in the polls?

(1001 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Apr-21 07:16:19

I don’t.

MayBee70 Sat 08-May-21 12:20:42

Urmstongran

I think it says about me growstuff that I was sick and tired of those Brexit deniers trying every which way to thwart the result of the referendum. All those ‘indicative votes’ in the HoC. Such arrant disregard for the result that they did not like and refused to accept. Bye bye!

Didn’t Johnson himself try to thwart Mays attempts to ‘get brexit done’ as well, though? It wasn’t just those campaigning for a people’s vote, which included, imo the decent MP’s in the Conservative party such as Dominic Grieve. All of whom have now been pushed out of the party.

Urmstongran Sat 08-May-21 12:29:15

Ah time to stop chasing our tails over Brexit MayBee. I know, I’m as bad. Therein lies madness. It done ✅

What is the point of Labour anymore? They don't represent the working classes, especially the those of the original native population. When in power they presided over the import of millions of cheap labour suppressing wages for the last 20 odd years whilst the cost of living went up.

The only action on investment in infrastructure and housing has actually been from the Conservative Party.

Labour are patronizing and actually often demeaning towards the average working person (yes I’m looking at you Lady Nugee). who really only want the simple aspirations of possibly owning their own home, raising up their children in reasonable comfort and security and save up for their old age.

It's a simple formula that they don't get at all.

So again I would ask why would anyone vote Labour when at least under a Conservative agenda the emphasis is on opportunity and and encouragement for everyone to better themselves.

MayBee70 Sat 08-May-21 12:34:00

No, they give an illusion of people being able to better themselves. To do that they should put more money into schools. And don’t try to tell me that they’re doing that. A friend of mine was a Tory councillor and he left the party a couple of years ago because he was so disgusted with them.

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 12:36:13

PippaZ here is the gist of what he said taken from the BBC web site.

Khalid Mahmood - who was until a few weeks ago a shadow defence minister - says: A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party. They mean well, of course, but their politics – obsessed with identity, division and even tech utopianism – have more in common with those of Californian high society than the kind of people who voted in Hartlepool yesterday.The loudest voices in the Labour movement over the past year in particular have focused more on pulling down Churchill’s statue than they have on helping people pull themselves up in the world. A bit of superficial flag-waving – reinforced by urgent memos from party HQ – isn’t going to fix that. We fix that by supporting jobs in these so-called left behind areas – with changes to public procurement, for example, that bring jobs back to the UK and support manufacturing jobs, including those in high tech, advanced manufacturing.

Confirming what I have felt for some time that the Labour Party is now the party of the urban elite and chattering classes.

MerylStreep Sat 08-May-21 12:39:32

GrannyGravy
Is it the same as this one.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/08/labours-khalid-mahmood-says-party-has-become-london-centric

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 12:39:59

Thanks M0nica but is stopped reading after the first line. I really have had quite enough of culture wars articles and posts that are totally devoid of politics and policy.

MayBee70 Sat 08-May-21 12:40:40

But why do their voters turn to the Tories who are still, imo the party of the rich and privileged?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 12:42:22

PippaZ

GrannyGravy13

Khalid Mahmood Labour MP for Birmingham has written a good article in the spectator www.spectator.co.uk it sums up where Labour have gone wrong (in my opinion)

It seems to be behind a pay wall GrannyGravy13.

I just clicked on the arrow of the paywall details (top right) and it let me read the article.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 12:43:50

MerylStreep

GrannyGravy
Is it the same as this one.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/08/labours-khalid-mahmood-says-party-has-become-london-centric

Seems to be.

suziewoozie Sat 08-May-21 12:44:42

Urmstongran

Ah time to stop chasing our tails over Brexit MayBee. I know, I’m as bad. Therein lies madness. It done ✅

What is the point of Labour anymore? They don't represent the working classes, especially the those of the original native population. When in power they presided over the import of millions of cheap labour suppressing wages for the last 20 odd years whilst the cost of living went up.

The only action on investment in infrastructure and housing has actually been from the Conservative Party.

Labour are patronizing and actually often demeaning towards the average working person (yes I’m looking at you Lady Nugee). who really only want the simple aspirations of possibly owning their own home, raising up their children in reasonable comfort and security and save up for their old age.

It's a simple formula that they don't get at all.

So again I would ask why would anyone vote Labour when at least under a Conservative agenda the emphasis is on opportunity and and encouragement for everyone to better themselves.

Anyone who says ‘Lady Nugee’ has completely lost any right to being taken seriously ( in the same way as if they supported Trump and thought Biden had dementia).

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 12:46:20

PippaZ

Thanks M0nica but is stopped reading after the first line. I really have had quite enough of culture wars articles and posts that are totally devoid of politics and policy.

It appears that Labour voters (or should I say ex Labour voters) think what Khalid Mahmood has written rings true with them.

How else can the recent election results be explained (2019 & 2021)?

Mamie Sat 08-May-21 12:50:59

In other news the Conservatives have lost overall control of Tunbridge Wells Borough Council. ?

MayBee70 Sat 08-May-21 12:51:04

The referendum divided the country in a way I’ve never experienced before. The repercussions are going to last a generation at least. Divide and rule. It’s a bit like the miners strike but on an even larger scale. It opened up a Pandora’s box of prejudice and hatred. Along with the pandemic I sometimes don’t recognise the world I now live in. The only light at the end of the tunnel is the fact that America finally saw through Trump. And that gives me hope.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 12:51:28

Urmstongran I have a feeling that the Brexit phenomenon will carry on for many years to come a bit like England winning the World Cup in 1966!

Easier to blame something than look for solutions (and no I have no idea what the solution could be other than Labour actually listening to the man/women on the street as opposed to second guessing what they want them to think)

Urmstongran Sat 08-May-21 12:53:38

Well that’s me told sw. ??

MerylStreep Sat 08-May-21 12:55:10

To quote from Don McLean ( Vincent)
They would not listen, they’re not listening still,
Perhaps they never will.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 12:56:59

MayBee70

But why do their voters turn to the Tories who are still, imo the party of the rich and privileged?

Because this is Love Island thinking where just being seen or supporting some fluff means you can think you have a better life.

Or think a reverse The Voice where you can see them perform but they don't actually have a policy to tell you about (no real voice). A lot of it is vacuous nonsense about how people look, sound, how tall or short they are and if they, sin of sins are just normal human beings in all that variety.

It is all very depressing.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 12:58:30

MerylStreep

Perhaps they never will.

It will end up with Bye Bye Mr Labour Party , drove my Chevy to the polling booth and the votes were nigh!

suziewoozie Sat 08-May-21 12:59:05

MerylStreep

Perhaps they never will.

Well apart from it being about mental illness, ,totally apposite

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 12:59:15

PippaZ

MayBee70

Because this is Love Island thinking where just being seen or supporting some fluff means you can think you have a better life.

Or think a reverse The Voice where you can see them perform but they don't actually have a policy to tell you about (no real voice). A lot of it is vacuous nonsense about how people look, sound, how tall or short they are and if they, sin of sins are just normal human beings in all that variety.

I think you are spending far too much time watching trashy reality TV

Mollygo Sat 08-May-21 13:01:10

It is a good article GG13. I read it this morning but thought commenting on it would just get shouted down or that the article would be ignored by those convinced that only they are right. Thanks for posting about it.

MayBee70 Sat 08-May-21 13:11:31

Years ago someone said that many people were convinced they were going to win the lottery or win pop idol, even though they didn’t even enter it. I’m sure nothings changed.

MerylStreep Sat 08-May-21 13:14:22

MayBee70

Have you ever been to Hartlepool?
I have, and if I was a resident there I would be saying well actually, it couldn’t get any worse so let’s have a change
Plus, there’s nothing wrong in having aspirations. They might/might not come true but it’s always worth having them.

Luckygirl Sat 08-May-21 13:14:25

I feel deeply saddened at the state of current politics.

BJ is acknowledged (even by his supporters) to be a lying cheating buffoon. But these supporters continue to support him because they realise that the public is currently addicted to the cult of "personality" rather than true statespeople with integrity and the good of the country in their heart. They will hang on to anyone who they think might get the votes, regardless of that person's total absence of worth.

BJ's handling of the pandemic was incompetent and irresponsible and he has the deaths of thousands on his hands.

The vaccine programme has gone well, thankfully.

When will integrity be valued I wonder?

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 13:19:53

GrannyGravy13

PippaZ

MayBee70

I think you are spending far too much time watching trashy reality TV

I would be if I did grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion