Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do leaflets help you to vote?

(36 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 03-May-21 19:58:51

We currently have a Labour Council.
I’ve had leaflets from:
Green Party-will make things greener and work to provide more charging points for the electric car I can’t afford.
Labour-will do a long list of things (including all the things they haven’t done whilst they’ve been in charge of the council.)
Conservative-will do a long list of things, starting with fixing road surfaces, not just topping up potholes.
Lib-Dem haven’t posted leaflets-saving paper?
Which of these is most convincing? I’m not asking for how people will vote, just an opinion on the leaflets.

Aveline Tue 04-May-21 08:57:11

Liz46 your local man sounds great. I wish we had more like him.

Alegrias1 Tue 04-May-21 09:19:02

Lovetopaint037

Urmstongran

??

The SNP had two Scottish-born actors on a live stream today telling Scots to vote for independence. One lives in New York and the other lives in Las Vegas.

I thought as you and Sean Connery also came to mind. He had a lot to say about what Scotland should do although living in the States. Why actors should be taken notice of when spouting politics is a mystery to me or why they think they are important enough or have the right to tell us how to vote just because we see them on the tv or on a film.

Well David Bowie felt the need to ask Naomi Campbell to tell us to stay in the union in 2014 so I guess anything goes.

BTW - Sean Connery lived in the Bahamas.

MaizieD Tue 04-May-21 11:49:31

Well, I hope people in Southend are shocked by the message from their tory MP. More or less says that if they don't vote for a tory council the government won't give them any money.
I wonder if that is illegal for an election leaflet?

Witzend Tue 04-May-21 11:55:58

We’ve had a whole booklet for Thursday - for the mayor and 2 different London assembly members.

So many candidates, with their ‘vote for me!’ blurbs!

I already knew who I was going to vote for, though - none of the ‘fringe’ candidates but the (depressingly) least worst of the others. Which isn’t saying much, but I’d never not vote or spoil my ballot paper.

Mollygo Tue 04-May-21 13:05:41

MaizieD

Well, I hope people in Southend are shocked by the message from their tory MP. More or less says that if they don't vote for a tory council the government won't give them any money.

Certainly hope it’s illegal. I think, if it’s not fake news, that David Ames will live to regret it. If it prompts constituents to do the opposite of his suggestion, any shortage of money will be loudly proclaimed by the council.

suziewoozie Tue 04-May-21 14:16:35

MaizieD

I was truly shocked by this - not that it would happen ( because it has been happening and will continue to do so) but that they now feel they can act with such impunity so openly. But then, what a role model they have

timetogo2016 Tue 04-May-21 14:17:21

My grey bin loves them.

varian Tue 04-May-21 16:44:18

MaizieD

Government facing legal challenge over ‘pork-barrel’ levelling-up fund funnelling cash to Tory areas

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/levelling-up-fund-pork-barrel-good-law-b1826803.html

annodomini Tue 04-May-21 17:23:14

I have, in the past, spent many hours stooped over a keyboard, compiling election leaflets. I must admit that I always suspected what a number of you have said: that leaflets didn't influence you; and they quickly ended up in the bin! However, I managed to get elected twice though I think my agent wrote my leaflets. My party's record on our council spoke for itself.

Mollygo Tue 04-May-21 18:11:42

Congratulations annodomini, both for getting elected twice and for your party having a good record.
Just as a matter of interest, before elections I do read them and put their ‘what we will do’ on a spreadsheet so I can compare their performance with what they offered or promised. Then they are recycled so that they do at least some good.