That the SNP will do well
That Labour in Wales will do well
That Laurence Fox and Shaun Bailey will be humiliated in London
That my local council will stay LD
That Labour will hang onto its Mayors and do badly elsewhere

This is not a difficult prediction

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 09:39:25

trisher

Interesting isn't it in the same edition of the Guardian there is an article about Andy Burnham returned as Manchester mayor with 67% of the vote. Is it perhaps another sign that politics is all about personalities and not policies these days?

So do you see this as a pretty man with a nice personality winning something akin to a Miss/Mr Manchester competitions? Or is it the case that he is someone who fought for the people he represents and got their votes that way? Even though it is difficult in current times it might be worth thinking that what he believes and achieves is actually what they want.

Yours is a very sad view brought about almost entirely by Johnson and his Tories who will milk the feelings rather than the thinking as the way to total power.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-May-21 09:46:13

If IDs are made compulsory if you vote, then every individual reaching voting age should be sent one automatically at the age of voting. Johnson isn’t making it compulsory, banking on the fact that the young are like him at 50odd and somewhat chaotic, so many will not get an ID in time to vote. The vast majority of the young vote for a left of Tory party.

Voting fraud in the U.K. is absolutely minimal, so there is no issue with that whatever Johnson says.

ug will be pleased to know that this is right out of Trumps “how to suppress the vote” book.

trisher Tue 11-May-21 09:51:13

PippaZ

trisher

Interesting isn't it in the same edition of the Guardian there is an article about Andy Burnham returned as Manchester mayor with 67% of the vote. Is it perhaps another sign that politics is all about personalities and not policies these days?

So do you see this as a pretty man with a nice personality winning something akin to a Miss/Mr Manchester competitions? Or is it the case that he is someone who fought for the people he represents and got their votes that way? Even though it is difficult in current times it might be worth thinking that what he believes and achieves is actually what they want.

Yours is a very sad view brought about almost entirely by Johnson and his Tories who will milk the feelings rather than the thinking as the way to total power.

Wow if someone can misrepresent a statement you've done it so well! First of all personality has nothing to do with looks so your "pretty man" statement must be drawn from your own perception of Andy Burnham (MILF suddenly has a new meaning!!!)
As I wasn't just discussing him but the two Mayoral elections where the candidates gained a huge proportion of the votes, you seem to have ignored the other Mayor.
And as both of them had entirely opposing policies , it seemed reasonable to assume that personality had something to do with it.
Do you really think that in one area 70%+ of the population are Tories and in another almost 70% are Labour? Or could it be that they vote for someone who does something and what that something is doesn't really matter?
My own opinion of Andy Burnham really has nothing to do with this.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 09:54:34

Whitewavemark2

If IDs are made compulsory if you vote, then every individual reaching voting age should be sent one automatically at the age of voting. Johnson isn’t making it compulsory, banking on the fact that the young are like him at 50odd and somewhat chaotic, so many will not get an ID in time to vote. The vast majority of the young vote for a left of Tory party.

Voting fraud in the U.K. is absolutely minimal, so there is no issue with that whatever Johnson says.

ug will be pleased to know that this is right out of Trumps “how to suppress the vote” book.

That is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Either we have proper ID for all or not. This is an incredibly divisive proposal.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 09:56:26

You have a filthy mind trisher.

Alegrias1 Tue 11-May-21 09:56:30

If ID cards are introduced that might get me out on the streets to demonstrate. And it will be noisy angry

Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-May-21 10:06:17

Alegrias1

If ID cards are introduced that might get me out on the streets to demonstrate. And it will be noisy angry

? - see you in 10 years then.

Prisons are going to be packed!

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 10:08:48

Alegrias1

I know Alegrais. But ID checks in return for a vote sounds awful too.

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 10:55:38

PippaZ

Alegrias1

I know Alegrais. But ID checks in return for a vote sounds awful too.

Especially when it cannot be applied to postal voting; which is where the potential for fraud is much greater.
It makes it look more like voter suppression than a move of any practical benefit.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 12:40:42

I missed Labour Nik Johnson's win in the mayoral election for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, which was a Labour gain.

Labour won 11 of the 13 mayoral elections, so maybe Starmer should see if they have any tips.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 12:52:30

Not only that, but the Tories lost overall control of the county of Cambridgeshire (a Labour/LibDem working agreement is looking likely) and Labour retained the City of Cambridge. Cambridge already has a Labour MP.

I live in Essex, but in the district bordering Cambridgeshire and we've just replaced a Tory with an independent. It's all quite strange.

varian Tue 11-May-21 13:34:52

Perhaps Johnson has noticed that voter suppression helped Trump!

lemongrove Tue 11-May-21 13:54:23

trisher ?
Poor you, accused of being taken in by both a pretty face and the Tories ......as if!
It did make me smile though, so not all bad.

trisher Tue 11-May-21 15:12:28

Thanks lemon your sympathy is appreciated. And actually I'm contemplating making this my standard for male politicians now-"Has he got a pretty face?". Bit difficult to find many to vote for though!