Gransnet forums

News & politics

The working classes just aren't very bright so have no chance of bettering themselves

(268 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 06-May-21 22:31:36

No, I didn't say that. It's the conclusion of a sociologist writing for 'Conservative Home' today.

According to Emeritus Professor Saunders:

There is huge political resistance to accepting this, yet we know that cognitive ability, measured by IQ testing, is at least 50 per cent heritable. Recent research also shows that propensity to work hard (measured, for example, by conscientiousness scores on psychometric tests) is quite highly heritable too.

Fifth, unequal educational achievement by children from different social class backgrounds is largely (though not entirely) explained by differences in average ability levels between them. Analyse all the factors that might affect children’s educational performance, and you’ll find that IQ test scores are far stronger predictors than all the social and environmental factors (parental class, parent’s education, parents’ income, parental encouragement, parental interest, enrolment in a private school, etc.) put together. On average, cognitive ability is higher among middle class children than working class children, and that is the main reason they tend to do better in school.

What have people been accusing Labour of? Talking down to the working classes?

But here are the tories being told that the working classes are thick and lazy and there's no point in trying to educate them to a higher standard or push to improve social mobility.

Contemptuous or what?

www.conservativehome.com/platform/2021/05/peter-saunders-the-myth-of-social-immobility-politicians-who-champion-meritocracy-are-pursuing-something-weve-basically-already-got.html

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 07:18:39

Reports like this take us back centuries.

Even Dickens recognised that the poor are poor not because of their ability, but because of many other factors. He made reference to Malthusian eugenics in his writing. One of course Christmas Carol

suziewoozie Fri 07-May-21 07:33:06

M0nica

Keepingquiet The advantages of any old oys network is limited to a handful of the top schools, Eton, Harrow, Marlborough. For the majority of privately educated children attending local private day schools, there are no networking advantages whatsoever.

Both my children went to local private secondary schools, it was the early 1980s, state schools were struggling, I do not think either of their schools had or has any kind of network that could benefit them or any of their fellow pupils. Certainly none that operates at the high level people normally associate with the Old Boys/Girls network.

I think you can certainly include the top London day schools - both single sex and co-ed and some others outside of London. Add up these numbers over the years at any one point in time and there is a very far reaching interconnected series of powerful, influential networks. I’ve seen in frequently in operation( with certain girls’ schools) and am in awe of it.

silverlining48 Fri 07-May-21 07:41:09

The conundrum of the working class Tory vote was a topic debated and researched 40 years ago while studying sociology. I couldn’t understand it then and still can’t now.

Alexa Fri 07-May-21 07:44:04

"different social class backgrounds" says the Professor. His categories are simplistic. There are attitudes towards learning that correlate with other attitudes such as freedom to explore and to be eccentric. Social class is not defined by degree of intelligence, social class is nothing but a moveable heuristic.

In the olden days when we worked at heavy industry such as mining and other heavy industries, and labour -intensive agricultural methods the idea of 'the working class' was a useful one including for philanthropist politicians and employers. However now that workers are socially mobile the old conservative attitude is no longer the case that social classes are rigidly maintained .

Instead of heritable social class, poverty and parameters of poverty are more to the point of social mobility and intelligence.

Katie59 Fri 07-May-21 07:49:09

keepingquiet

Private education much extolled by the Tories has very little to do with education and everything to do with networking.

Networking is absolutely correct at every level, including “working class”, dad or mum have a word with their boss, that little Jimmy or Mary are leaving school is there a job going. This runs through society right to the top, the youngsters get a foot on the career ladder it’s intelligence and hard work that determines how high they get. Once Mary has got a job it’s up to her show how smart she is, how good her work is how well she gets on with her co-workers.

I can think of several “cultures” that recruit from within their own community, regardless of that, you have to perform these days, you have to be very smart to get to the top. If there is one skill that you need to make the difference it is communication, the ability to persuade others.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 07:54:20

It may be more helpful if you think in terms of economic class or position.

But of course we do know that class is not just about the level of income, it come with differing values, expectation and culture.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 07:55:57

silverlining48

The conundrum of the working class Tory vote was a topic debated and researched 40 years ago while studying sociology. I couldn’t understand it then and still can’t now.

???

Many would agree

keepingquiet Fri 07-May-21 07:56:15

MOnica- I was just putting the case forward that people who can afford private education (ie mostly not working class in the sense this guy refers to) are no more intelligent, hard working or even well educated than students in state schools. Private schools are not subject to the same level of scrutiny as state schools, and education is not simply about qualifications. It is also about making a better connected pathway to good careers.
The housing market has reflected for years the importance of a 'good' school' and parents go to extreme lengths at times to get their children into those schools.
So, you may be an exception but 'good' schools encourage a kind of snobbery reflected in the article that encourages unhealthy divisions in our society.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 07:59:04

Frankly from what I have seen at good private schools and the level of resources and assistance given to the children, it would be difficult to fail.

PippaZ Fri 07-May-21 08:07:50

Whether or not this is an article of some standing I find the drift I see in it, towards eugenics, i.e., accepting that some, from a certain background, cannot improve their lives, worrying. But then he seems to say that they can and they are but we must accept that we can do no better than we are doing for some people.

To be honest, I find the whole article very confusing and would do whichever platform it was on. My inbuilt bias finds it worrying that the platform is Conservative Home. From memory, I believe that those in favour of the eugenics theories in Britain in the 1930s were often found among the far-right and in Universities.

Could someone please tell me what he is saying?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 08:09:26

And conversely we can be very proud of our children and grandchildren who have succeeded and gone on to get good degrees or happy productive lives despite the comparative lack of resources and crowded classrooms etc.

Arguably you might say that they succeeded where many who have been spoon fed all their lives would have failed.

All power to our children???

Bit controversial I know but adds to the pattern of life

vampirequeen Fri 07-May-21 08:13:12

Welcome to the 2021 version Brave New World. Ruling by the 'super intelligent' elite, organising by the 'intelligent' middle classes and work done by the 'low intelligence' workers.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 08:15:21

PippaZ

Whether or not this is an article of some standing I find the drift I see in it, towards eugenics, i.e., accepting that some, from a certain background, cannot improve their lives, worrying. But then he seems to say that they can and they are but we must accept that we can do no better than we are doing for some people.

To be honest, I find the whole article very confusing and would do whichever platform it was on. My inbuilt bias finds it worrying that the platform is Conservative Home. From memory, I believe that those in favour of the eugenics theories in Britain in the 1930s were often found among the far-right and in Universities.

Could someone please tell me what he is saying?

Poor article, nothing to do with you pippa

Eugenics was used by the Nazis to explain their society.

Remember the great Aryan Race and of course the Holocaust?

All based on eugenics.

You get the ultimate novel about eugenics in Aldous Huxley Brave New World, where society assumes that people are born into a particular class so they decided to by passed the stage of free birth and simply planned and produced the number of workers or intellectual etc that was needed - in the laboratory.

A much tidier way of proceeding

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 08:15:49

vampirequeen

Welcome to the 2021 version Brave New World. Ruling by the 'super intelligent' elite, organising by the 'intelligent' middle classes and work done by the 'low intelligence' workers.

Snap?

Marydoll Fri 07-May-21 08:17:54

As a teacher, who has always worked with disadvantaged and disengaged pupils, I have always believed that education is the way out of poverty and encouraged my pupils to reach for the sky. My husband and I are prime examples of what can be achieved.

I came from a very poor, Irish immigrant family, brought up on benefits as my father was chronically ill for most of his working life and my mother had to give up her job as a midwifery sister to care for him.
I went to a grammar school, run by nuns and many of the pupils were from well off families. I was looked down on by staff and pupils and humilitated on a daily basis because I received free school meals.
There was obvious discrimination towards pupils who were less well off.

Sadly, my parents did not nurture nor encourage my ambition to go to university and my mother actively discouraged me. She wanted me out there earning money! Her words to me were, People like us, don't go to university.
I defied her and applied for university. When she demanded that I contribute to the housekeeping from my grant, I got a job in a bar to support myself.

I had no-one to network for me, everything I have achieved I have achieved through my own efforts and with the support of my husband who has the same ethos.
I have witnessed networking and nepotism in my teaching career, teachers with little experience or expertise being promoted because the HT and their parents were best friends.

It was a very difficult road, especially as I allowed myself to be ashamed of my background and had little or no confidence in my ability.
I am no longer ashamed, I am proud of what I have achieved, against all the odds.
I have continued to study all of my adult life because those certificates and degrees are the validndn

It does however, take a certain determination to better yourself and bolshiness to get there!

Marydoll Fri 07-May-21 08:19:46

Sorry! Validation that you can achieve anything!

PippaZ Fri 07-May-21 08:24:28

Although the Nazis used the theories of eugenics to argue for the Master Race it was a theory that was popular around the world in the 1930s. Hitler just had an opportunity to carry out weird selective breeding programmes on an industrial scale and those around the world - often upper class (very) and in Universities who backed it just went very quiet after the war.

This guy seems to be saying two different things but then this is an extract of a lengthier book. What I wonder is why Conservative Home published it? What is their intention?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 08:32:26

PippaZ

Although the Nazis used the theories of eugenics to argue for the Master Race it was a theory that was popular around the world in the 1930s. Hitler just had an opportunity to carry out weird selective breeding programmes on an industrial scale and those around the world - often upper class (very) and in Universities who backed it just went very quiet after the war.

This guy seems to be saying two different things but then this is an extract of a lengthier book. What I wonder is why Conservative Home published it? What is their intention?

Unclear I think, but there has been a report published by the government about social mobility 2021 which states that a very large majority of people are concerned about the lack of social mobility - 75%

Social mobility is relatively static in the U.K. compared to other developed countries, and we know this is related to wealth inequality.

It is doubtful that the government has any plan to actively intervene to bring greater equality and assist with greater social mobility other than the amorphous plan to “level up”

Quite a good wheeze therefore to blame the poor for their poverty

PippaZ Fri 07-May-21 08:47:28

Thanks, Whitewave. I hadn't seen that report.

Whether you feel IQ is totally inherited or not I really don't see how they can "level up" without doing something about wealth inequality. I can't see how this can happen without manipulating the tax system into a fairer one - would the Tories ever do that? I doubt it. I would think about voting for them if they did although I might not be able to get over the Johnson blockage.

Even if we have or were to have equality of opportunity we value some jobs disproportionately to others - whatever the IQ of the person doing them.

But, as you say, if we can blame the poor for their poverty there will always be some on the right - particularly, I feel some who have recently moved to the Conservative bugle, who want to see the "scroungers", etc. as being a cause, not an outcome.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 08:53:05

? * Johnson blockage* oh the vision this causes.

Ellianne Fri 07-May-21 08:54:40

Whitewavemark2

Frankly from what I have seen at good private schools and the level of resources and assistance given to the children, it would be difficult to fail.

Correct Whitewavemark2 unless a child goes off the rails, as can can happen to some. It is all down to expectations.

Although the old saying "money breeds money" stands for a lot, the skills in confidence, co operation and communication cannot be underestimated.

silverlining48 Fri 07-May-21 08:57:01

You have every right to be proud of your achievement Marydoll, and credit that you did this in difficult circumstances. That’s the thing, yes a few people manage to succeed despite financial and other problems but it’s more difficult and requires extra drive to even try.

MaizieD Fri 07-May-21 09:29:52

It's a gift for people who believe in eugenics and blaming the poor for their own poverty.

So how is that different from my interpretation, growstuff?

JaneJudge Fri 07-May-21 09:36:08

It has reminded me of this I wonder whether Professor Idiot understands simple cartoons

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-May-21 09:41:31

JaneJudge

It has reminded me of this I wonder whether Professor Idiot understands simple cartoons

?