Gransnet forums

News & politics

That sculpture for the 999 cenotaph

(39 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 13:30:59

I think it is wonderful

LizH13 Fri 14-May-21 13:17:37

As I understand it this is a cenotaph to emergency workers and the NHS member is an addition because of the pandemic. Presumably the focus is on the nurse to encourage sympathetic donations. I’d be willing to donate if it was obvious that this is something that was planned pre-pandemic. There are to be other pandemic memorials that are already trying to raise money

ElderlyPerson Fri 14-May-21 13:19:47

jaylucy

From what I have seen so far, it will be stunning.
Maybe they should have a memorial somewhere too for all those that kept the country running - retail staff, teachers, postmen and women (sorry, post people doesn't sound right!), refuse staff , cleaners etc some of which carried on doing their jobs throughout, some of which lost their lives, many being paid minimum wages.

Postladies (plural of postlady).

..., postmen and postladies, ...

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 13:23:42

Post people? Post Non Binary people? I think the term ‘Posties’ may be best.?

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 13:26:12

olliebeak

How flaming typical that something like this just 'HAS' to be situated in London!

London is NOT all that easy - OR affordable - for many of us to get to!

Each Region should be able to have their own version of this.

Bring on Local Devolution!

Why? Are you suggesting that every area in the UK should have a copy of this sculpture?
London is fine, if anybody wants to see it they can take a train there.The rest of us who don’t feel a need to see it in person can see it online.

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 13:28:05

Elijah

It's a shame that there is money for a statue and not a decent pay rise!

I agree, I would have given nurses a payrise.

Redhead56 Fri 14-May-21 13:30:31

Every single worker throughout this crisis deserves praise.

ElderlyPerson Fri 14-May-21 13:38:43

> Are you suggesting that every area in the UK should have a copy of this sculpture?

With modern technological methods, multiple copies could be possible.

NemosMum Fri 14-May-21 16:06:27

Do we need another virtue-signalling statue? If so, why not have one to honour the supermarket workers and delivery and bus drivers?

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 16:13:03

Elderly it’s not only money it’s where to site a sculpture and do we need multiple copies in any case?

Nancat Fri 14-May-21 18:21:50

I'd like to know how a sculpture can cost over £3 million. Is it made of gold?

SueDoku Fri 14-May-21 19:22:10

So far, there are three National Covid memorials - the Covid wall (with hearts for each life lost), a book of remembrance and the proposed Cenotaph - and they're ALL in London. DS (who lives there) has been to see the Wall - and said that it's as mind-blowing as the poppies at the Tower were.
It would be better if the Cenotaph was at the National Memorial Arboretum - in the centre of the country. It's a wonderful place to visit.

NotSpaghetti Fri 14-May-21 19:56:52

Elijah

It's a shame that there is money for a statue and not a decent pay rise!

I think there isn't money for s statue. As I said earlier, they are trying to raise money.
You can see how much is raised already if you just click the link above.

I think you will find that the public are expected to pay.

timetogo2016 Sat 15-May-21 10:45:13

And one for shop assistances/postal workers/Bank clerics/Police/Fire services/Lifts/escalators/chair lift engineers/delivery drivers basically everyone who wasn`t in furlough.