Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Israel completely beyond any control?

(204 Posts)
trisher Sat 15-May-21 18:38:23

Israel has just destroyed an international media centre in Gaza, home for many different media companies. They have also targetted refugee centres, killing families and destroying homes. There has been no international condemnation. The UK government hasn't said anything. What use is International law?

trisher Sat 15-May-21 21:10:37

It will still be happening long after I’ve gone.
Not if the Israelis have their way Urmstongrantheyintend yo completely destroy the Palestinians
To those quoting history when the Jews returned to Palestine after WW2 the Arab inhabitants welcomed them and allowed them to settle. Unfortunately the Zionists wanted rid of the Palestinians. They destroyed villages and drove the Palestinians out. The 15thMay is Nakba Day when Palestinians remember their dead and their lost lands. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakba_Day

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 21:14:51

Thank you trisher for explaining that. It is just so incredibly sad. Mind you, the world over, religion has a lot to answer for. Beyond depressing.

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 21:20:06

It's those who are connected to Hamas that the Israeli's are aiming for, not the Palestinian people. Hamas are a terrorist organisation and need to be got rid of.

Katie59 Sat 15-May-21 21:33:34

When it comes down to it Israel will fight - to the last Palestinian, their extremists are worse than Hammas and hold the balance of power in the Knesset. The US will persuade both sides to settle down for now but as usual 10 times as many Palestinians will die as Israelies.
Nobody is going to help Palestine beyond humanitarian aid because Israel has a strong army and nuclear weapons too

Aveline Sat 15-May-21 21:38:08

Terrorist or freedom fighter?

GagaJo Sat 15-May-21 21:50:42

Thank you WWM. I'd just read up on it myself.

The December before the Armistice in November 1918, troops under the command of General Sir Edmund Allenby (nicknamed “The Bull”) captured Jerusalem. After the end of the war, The League of Nations “mandated” (handed over) what was then Palestine to British rule. That rule lasted until 1948. Then the British withdrew. The region’s Jewish and Arab populations were left to to fight it out. The Jewish forces prevailed and, in May 1948, the State of Israel was declared.

The conflict is remembered by Israelis as the War of Independence; by the Palestinians as “al-nakba” (the catastrophe).

theconversation.com/palestine-and-britain-forgotten-legacy-of-world-war-i-that-devastated-the-middle-east-106408

If we sit by and watch this happen, we are no better than those who sat by and allowed the Jewish Halocaust to happen. It makes me so angry.

GagaJo Sat 15-May-21 21:52:25

www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/4/if-i-dont-steal-your-home-someone-else-will-jewish-settler-says

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 22:07:14

Terrorists, Aveline

Aveline Sat 15-May-21 22:28:38

Depends what side you're on EllanVannin! Israelis see Palestinians as terrorists but Palestinians see themselves as freedom fighters. Can't blame them.

welbeck Sun 16-May-21 02:44:08

those Romans who massacred the Jewish people were not Christians; Christians were still being persecuted by the romans.
the empire was not officially christian until 314 year.

welbeck Sun 16-May-21 02:46:55

most neutral people from other countries who actually visit the occupied territories are quite shocked by the conditions under which the Palestinian have to live.

growstuff Sun 16-May-21 03:28:40

EllanVannin

It's those who are connected to Hamas that the Israeli's are aiming for, not the Palestinian people. Hamas are a terrorist organisation and need to be got rid of.

EllanVannin Have you ever heard of the terrorist group, the Irgun? If you haven't, try researching them.

growstuff Sun 16-May-21 03:31:14

EllanVannin

In that case, the Israelis aren't doing very well. I believe the Israeli military forces are more efficient than that and quite easily target only Hamas if it wanted.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 06:38:48

growstuff

EllanVannin

In that case, the Israelis aren't doing very well. I believe the Israeli military forces are more efficient than that and quite easily target only Hamas if it wanted.

Yes that is absolutely correct.

They claim to know exactly where Hamas is living or have their offices.

Israel has the capacity to take out a single room etc. It has the technological know how to pin point with extreme accuracy.

Instead it chooses to take out whole households.

The innocent are being slaughtered.

This is war crime in action.

Loislovesstewie Sun 16-May-21 06:54:07

How quickly we have forgotten the history of persecution of the Jews. The pogroms, the so called 'blood libel', the Spanish Inquisition, the expulsion of Jews from England by Edward I which was the culmination of over 200 years of persecution in England, the list is endless and of course the Holocaust, over 6 million Jews murdered. If Israel is overrun what do you think will happen? Do you think that Hamas will allow them to live peacefully in their country? Of course, they won't. There will be a bloodbath, and it will be the end of Judaism in the Middle East.
BTW many Orthodox Jews disagree with the state of Israel as it sin't religious enough for them and secondly because the Messiah hasn't appeared which must happen, and new Israel is established.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 07:09:59

The migration of Jews to Arab Palestine began largely in the late 19 century as a result of Russian pogroms. Jewish Zionist groups planned to migrate, buy land and settle in Palestine.

But it wasn’t until after WW1 that this migration began on a larger scale. Jewish Zionist groups cooperated and began to purchase land in Arab Palestine.

Most of the land purchased was bought from landowners that were not Arab Palestinians, who had no stake in the country as Arab Palestinians. In effect their land was sold from under their feet.

Unsurprisingly civil rest began to occur snd the British set up a commission to decide what was to be done.

The Peel commission briefly decided that Jewish immigration must be limited because of the unbalance that was beginning to occur in Palestine.

However despite the law etc the Jews continued to settle by finding loopholes in the law. The Arabs continued to be more and more alarmed as their land disappeared before their eyes.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 07:13:08

Loislovesstewie

How quickly we have forgotten the history of persecution of the Jews. The pogroms, the so called 'blood libel', the Spanish Inquisition, the expulsion of Jews from England by Edward I which was the culmination of over 200 years of persecution in England, the list is endless and of course the Holocaust, over 6 million Jews murdered. If Israel is overrun what do you think will happen? Do you think that Hamas will allow them to live peacefully in their country? Of course, they won't. There will be a bloodbath, and it will be the end of Judaism in the Middle East.
BTW many Orthodox Jews disagree with the state of Israel as it sin't religious enough for them and secondly because the Messiah hasn't appeared which must happen, and new Israel is established.

I will never forget the long history of Jewish persecution, but understanding history, is not remotely the same as forgetting it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 07:14:16

And please don’t muddle Israeli politics with the Jewish religion. They are two very distinct things.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 07:19:56

When something so fraught as the Israeli/Palestinian conflict occurs with the dreadful history of persecution of the Jews and the subsequent annexation of Arab Palestinian land, and all that flows from it, I think it is imperative to understand how we got to this position.

growstuff Sun 16-May-21 07:30:01

Loislovestewie I certainly haven't forgotten about the centuries of persecution or the holocaust. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that the state of Israel and some hardliners should now be given a "get out of jail free" card to do what they want.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 07:30:17

So WW2

The Holocaust had a major impact on Jewish immigration to Palestine, but the British who were seeking to appease Arab rich states in the area sought to limit Jewish immigration.

Once hostilities has ceased the Jewish underground terrorist movements like Irgun attacked strategic targets against the British.

growstuff Sun 16-May-21 07:40:00

Indeed they did. A group of Jewish terrorists murdered one of my father's cousins, a British military policeman, in cold blood.

Loislovesstewie Sun 16-May-21 08:03:10

So where would you suggest that the remnants of European Jewry should have gone then after WW2? I think most didn't want to stay in Eastern Europe and wanted to have a homeland where they felt safe. if you can't understand that history had made the modern state of Israel what it is, then I give up!
No, there shouldn't be a 'get out of jail free card' not for anybody including Hamas. Do you think Hamas is a terrorist, Islamist organization, or is that only reserved for any Jewish organization that you don't like? Can Israel not protect itself from rockets that are sent into that country from another? Do you object in principle to the only Jewish state in the world actually existing?
What do you think is causing antisemitism in Europe? There have been instances of attacks on Jewish businesses and people in Europe over the last few years?
If Israel is a Jewish state how am I muddling the two things? Israel was set up to be a Jewish homeland, I fail to see what is difficult about that concept.
What I find really crazy is that minorities in Palestine are treated dreadfully, don't be gay in Palestine, or a woman, or in fact anything other than a heterosexual man, but people who are supposedly left wing are content to campaign for Palestine without thinking they are supporting a repressive organization.
Yes, I realize that Israel isn't perfect, but I would rather support them than Palestine.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 08:09:20

In 1945 at the end of WW2 the Arab League with British support was in control of the land known as Palestine.

However the British mandate was to end in 1948.

The insurgency by Jewish terrorists began in 1944 known as The Palestine Emergency by the British. This conflict between the British and Jews in Palestine divided opinion in the U.K. and resulted in dozens of British, civilians and Jewish deaths, resulting in widespread anti-Jewish rioting in the U.K. after the cold blooded hanging of two British sergeants by the Jewish insurgents.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 08:12:18

lls don’t forget that formally Israel is a democratic secular state.