Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yesterday in Boris World - NHS nurse who cared for PM resigns, Dominic Cummings attacks (again) and Tory Council Leader revolts.

(69 Posts)
PippaZ Wed 19-May-21 09:40:32

So, disillusioned Jenny McGee, the NHS nurse who looked after the PM when he was in intensive care last year, has resigned. She cited the government’s 1% pay offer and the lack of respect it entailed. “I’m just sick of it,” she said. Many in the NHS are still dealing with the pandemic, many are exhausted. In an interview, JM disclosed that she couldn’t bring herself to take part in a ‘clap for carers’ photocall alongside the PM, not least as there was little cash for carers. I would personally back her every inch of the way especially as staff in England weren’t even given a Christmas bonus (unlike Scotland and Wales), let alone a real-terms pay rise offer.

Next Dominic Cummings rattled his cage again, suggesting he had argued for hard and fast lockdowns last year but was ignored. He also said that we have a "joke” border policy to deal with Covid. There will no doubt be more to come when he gives evidence to MPs next week.

Then there was the beginning of the fracas over the "Amber List" which looks set to continue into today.

Then he has to deal with the Tory leader of Bolton council’s warning that a new local lockdown would cause “civil unrest”.

Johnson will still go on wriggling, of that, I have no doubt.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 14:23:02

The difference between Cummings and Johnson is that Cummings seems to be highly intelligent. Just a pity that, up till now he hasn’t wanted to use that intelligence for the good of mankind. He seems to enjoy the chaos he creates. Didn’t he say as much at one time?

Callistemon Thu 20-May-21 22:09:53

MayBee70

Strange that some of the very people saying we should ignore what Cummings says because he’s a liar were happy to believe the lies he spun during the referendum campaign and vote accordingly.

Who did that?

Are they posting that on GN or do you know them?

MaizieD Thu 20-May-21 22:33:38

Callistemon

MayBee70

Strange that some of the very people saying we should ignore what Cummings says because he’s a liar were happy to believe the lies he spun during the referendum campaign and vote accordingly.

Who did that?

Are they posting that on GN or do you know them?

Speaking for 17.4 million people, are you, Callistemon?

Cummings was absolutely sure that the £350 million pw to the EU (lets give it to the NHS instead) lie was pretty influential.

Eloethan Fri 21-May-21 00:57:40

The government cynically associated themselves with the people working on the front line by encouraging the clapping nonsense and making a big show of clapping themselves. As I suspected at the time, that was just about all the nurses, doctors and other staff would get.

Sparkling Fri 21-May-21 06:03:13

Dominic Cummings showed when times were hard he couldn't and wouldn't comply to rules as we all were. You see people's true character in adversity, it isn't obvious when things run smoothly. No one will forget that. Borus has been there all the way through, even when he was seriously ill with Covid he was steadfast, whatever his bumbling personality. Maybe where you get the idea that Boris is not highly intelligent I don't know. Academically he is plus he gets things done, his private life is chaotic, but name me any PM not touched by scandal. After getting us through Brexit and thisPandemic, he will move on, no doubt Corbyn is waiting in the wings telling us how he found have sorted it in a fortnight,

vegansrock Fri 21-May-21 06:17:56

sparking - name me any PM not touched by scandal Theresa May? If she’d had several children out of wedlock , numerous affairs etc would people have been so forgiving? She did buy leather trousers but that’s about as scandalous as I can remember.

Lucca Fri 21-May-21 06:31:38

“Getting us through Brexit”. I think those whose businesses are heading for disaster due to new regulations would disagree.

“Corbyn waiting in the wings”. What in earth has he got to with anything ?

Lin52 Fri 21-May-21 07:36:34

MayBee70

You think everyone listend to what that d* Cummings said, he was a liar and a manipulator. I made my mind up in 75, and did the same again, my own thoughts, research and gut feelings.

Lin52 Fri 21-May-21 07:39:27

Lucca

“Getting us through Brexit”. I think those whose businesses are heading for disaster due to new regulations would disagree.

Perhaps those businesses should have got their fingers out and sorted the paperwork, many others did, as I’m still getting, not through choice, strawberries from Holland.

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 07:41:29

So you agree that the leave campaign was ran by a liar and a manipulator?

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 07:58:59

Boris couldn't be bothered turning up for important meetings and only makes public announcements when he absolutely has to, or in extremis.

As for this fact idea that he's intelligent. Got any evidence? He's got a 2:1. His books read like they were written by a 10 year old with a superiority complex. I'm willing to bet that a significant proportion of GNers are much more academically gifted than he is. And they can probably string a sentence together as well.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 08:07:48

Perhaps those businesses should have got their fingers out and sorted the paperwork, many others did, as I’m still getting, not through choice, strawberries from Holland.

Perhaps you can point us in the direction of the rules regarding IP based businesses dealing with Canada? Because they all got suspended on 1st January and haven't been sorted out yet. I find the allegation that businesses just "haven't got their fingers out" ill informed and insulting. It's not all about bl**dy strawberries.

Lucca Fri 21-May-21 08:11:39

Lin52

Lucca

They did. It made no difference.

PippaZ Fri 21-May-21 08:47:08

Academically he is plus he gets things done, his private life is chaotic,

Academically his is good but not great. He did not go on to a Masters or a Doctorate and the education at Eton is peculiar to Eton and not one destined to give you a perspective on real life for the majority of people unless you are naturally very empathetic and I haven't seen any signs of him being so.

... he gets things done things that are very dangerous for our country, including the fisher folk and now the farmers and almost certainly you and me. Why would I want a PM like that?

but name me any PM not touched by scandal

But we are not talking about "any PM" we are talking about Johnson and you are exaggerating beyond reasonable argument, So, in one part of one sentence you use both a "straw man (informal) fallacy, over simplification and exaggeration to offer an argument that is nothing to do with the point being made - all in all a total logical fallacy.

Can the right actually make an argument or do they only do distraction? This sort of thing means nothing in the context of the actual argument that Johnson is a liar and possibly worse.

MaizieD Fri 21-May-21 10:11:34

vegansrock

*sparking - name me any PM not touched by scandal* Theresa May? If she’d had several children out of wedlock , numerous affairs etc would people have been so forgiving? She did buy leather trousers but that’s about as scandalous as I can remember.

Oooh, perhaps we can go further back?

We're talking about sex related scandal, aren't we?

Gordon Brown
Tony Blair
Margaret Thatcher,
Jim Callaghan
Harold Wilson?
Alec Douglas Hulme?
Eden?
Harold MacMillan?
Atlee?
Churchill?

I missed out John Major, but his bit of scandal was only disclosed after he'd been PM

There you go, sparking, an opportunity to do some research and may be end up with some point scoring grin

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 13:08:25

What have I just seen on the news today? We’re sending warplanes round the world to promote the U.K. and show how we respect the rule of law*? Johnson in yet another costume.
*do Johnson and the rule of law belong in the same sentence?

JaneJudge Fri 21-May-21 13:21:00

MayBee70

What have I just seen on the news today? We’re sending warplanes round the world to promote the U.K. and show how we respect the rule of law*? Johnson in yet another costume.
*do Johnson and the rule of law belong in the same sentence?

grin @ yet another costume

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-May-21 17:41:59

Any thoughts?

MayBee70 Sat 22-May-21 17:53:54

Well perhaps some people are impressed by us sending some sort of aircraft carrier round the world?

MaizieD Sat 22-May-21 18:34:40

GrannyGravy13

Any thoughts?

I think that a lot of people are blind and insane. Or just horrible.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-May-21 18:38:11

Yep MaizieD horrible people call others insane for having a different opinion...

MayBee70 Sat 22-May-21 18:42:26

imo horrible people are those that vote for the sort of politicians that don’t care about those less fortunate than themselves.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-May-21 18:46:56

I wouldn’t dream of calling anyone names, or doubt their sanity just because they voted differently, but hey ho whatever floats your boat

lemongrove Sat 22-May-21 18:55:11

Maybee and MaizieD I think you are showing your true colours with your posts above.

Lin52 Sat 22-May-21 19:00:35

Alegrias1

^Perhaps those businesses should have got their fingers out and sorted the paperwork, many others did, as I’m still getting, not through choice, strawberries from Holland.^

Perhaps you can point us in the direction of the rules regarding IP based businesses dealing with Canada? Because they all got suspended on 1st January and haven't been sorted out yet. I find the allegation that businesses just "haven't got their fingers out" ill informed and insulting. It's not all about bl**dy strawberries.

Oh dear. So rude.