Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yesterday in Boris World - NHS nurse who cared for PM resigns, Dominic Cummings attacks (again) and Tory Council Leader revolts.

(69 Posts)
PippaZ Wed 19-May-21 09:40:32

So, disillusioned Jenny McGee, the NHS nurse who looked after the PM when he was in intensive care last year, has resigned. She cited the government’s 1% pay offer and the lack of respect it entailed. “I’m just sick of it,” she said. Many in the NHS are still dealing with the pandemic, many are exhausted. In an interview, JM disclosed that she couldn’t bring herself to take part in a ‘clap for carers’ photocall alongside the PM, not least as there was little cash for carers. I would personally back her every inch of the way especially as staff in England weren’t even given a Christmas bonus (unlike Scotland and Wales), let alone a real-terms pay rise offer.

Next Dominic Cummings rattled his cage again, suggesting he had argued for hard and fast lockdowns last year but was ignored. He also said that we have a "joke” border policy to deal with Covid. There will no doubt be more to come when he gives evidence to MPs next week.

Then there was the beginning of the fracas over the "Amber List" which looks set to continue into today.

Then he has to deal with the Tory leader of Bolton council’s warning that a new local lockdown would cause “civil unrest”.

Johnson will still go on wriggling, of that, I have no doubt.

Alegrias1 Sat 22-May-21 19:04:14

And telling me that our company is suffering because we didn't get our finger out is polite?
Before you cast stones, find out the facts.

Lin52 Sat 22-May-21 19:22:19

Alegrias1

^Perhaps those businesses should have got their fingers out and sorted the paperwork, many others did, as I’m still getting, not through choice, strawberries from Holland.^

Perhaps you can point us in the direction of the rules regarding IP based businesses dealing with Canada? Because they all got suspended on 1st January and haven't been sorted out yet. I find the allegation that businesses just "haven't got their fingers out" ill informed and insulting. It's not all about bl**dy strawberries.

www.gov.uk/government/collections/uk-canada-trade-continuity-agreement.

Alegrias1 Sat 22-May-21 19:50:52

IP ownership for organisations based in the UK with security implications?

Personal Tax agreements?

Getting our clients to change their contracts to suit us?

I suppose we could transition into exporting cheese, that seems to be covered.

Keep trying.

Callistemon Sat 22-May-21 20:13:44

She did buy leather trousers but that’s about as scandalous as I can remember.
She ran through a cornfield.

Callistemon Sat 22-May-21 20:16:08

Grany

If you were the PM and got struck down with covid and nursed for two days in intensive care, got better recovered. Wouldnt you make sure nurses got a decent pay rise, a thank you for all their hard work in coping magnificently with this pandemic (especially without proper PPE)?

It makes you wonder what sort of person he is, the PM whos life was saved wouldn't give nurses the pay rise they deserve and is considerably long overdue

I agree with you Grany!

Don't faint, please grin

Callistemon Sat 22-May-21 20:19:09

MayBee70

Well perhaps some people are impressed by us sending some sort of aircraft carrier round the world?

Have we still got an aircraft carrier, Maybee?
Has it got any aircraft?

I am impressed by the crew, however.

varian Sat 22-May-21 20:21:23

It seems to me that the nearer a person has ever got to Boris Johnson, the more likely they are to see through him.

He is a habitual liar, amoral, sexually incontinent, devoid of any principles or decent values. A thoroughly despicable human being.

It is utterly shameful, and a stain on the United Kingdom that he could ever have become our Prime MInister.

MaizieD Sat 22-May-21 20:22:00

lemongrove

Maybee and MaizieD I think you are showing your true colours with your posts above.

No lemon. I think that people show their true colours when they vote tory.. And they're generally not very nice colours...

MaizieD Sat 22-May-21 20:23:53

Have we still got an aircraft carrier, Maybee?

We have

Has it got any aircraft?

I understood that the French were supplying them...

In other words, no, I don't think it has...

Callistemon Sat 22-May-21 20:31:10

Has it got any aircraft?

HMS Queen Elizabeth will first sail into the Mediterranean. From there, she is planning to launch her F-35 jets to conduct airstrikes over Iraq against the group known as Islamic State.

Yes, she has.

But what does he think he is doing?
This:

The strike group will sail through the South China Sea where China has been expanding its claim to territorial waters.
But Defence Secretary Ben Wallace insists Britain is not looking for a "confrontation". Instead, he says the carrier group will exercise its right to freedom of navigation.

Fair enough. Freedom of navigation is vitally important.

MayBee70 Sat 22-May-21 20:53:55

Hmm. Sounds confrontational to me confused..

lemongrove Sat 22-May-21 20:58:23

MaizieD millions of people vote Conservative, and many more did so at the last election to keep you know who out of. Number Ten. These millions of people are awful people in your eyes, and for that, I feel sorry for you.You are so blinded by politics that you feel it’s not only impossible to like ‘a Tory voter’ but that they are ( in your words, above) ‘either blind or insane or just horrible’. This is the sort of comment that I would expect from a teenager or young adult , not a mature woman.I have friends and relatives who vote for both major political parties, and some minority ones, and none of them thinks like that ( thank goodness.)
It’s a sort of narrow tunnel vision with no leeway for human kindness or understanding in it, we are all different and have different views, in politics as well as any other subject.
You think your way is the right way, I think my way is the right way, but I would never, ever consider somebody to be ‘blind, insane or just horrible’ for taking the other view.

lemongrove Sat 22-May-21 20:59:14

MayBee70

Tell that to the Chinese!

MayBee70 Sat 22-May-21 21:05:00

Boris living out his Churchillian fantasies imo

Lucca Sun 23-May-21 06:23:58

Lin52

Alegrias1

Perhaps those businesses should have got their fingers out and sorted the paperwork, many others did, as I’m still getting, not through choice, strawberries from Holland.

Perhaps you can point us in the direction of the rules regarding IP based businesses dealing with Canada? Because they all got suspended on 1st January and haven't been sorted out yet. I find the allegation that businesses just "haven't got their fingers out" ill informed and insulting. It's not all about bl**dy strawberries.

Oh dear. So rude.

Well to be fair your comment about businesses not having got their finger out was rude in the first place, especially to anyone currently struggling to keep their livelihood.

Callistemon Sun 23-May-21 17:17:44

MayBee70

You may be relieved to know, then, that she won't be alone:

“Over the coming 28 weeks, from May to December 2021, we will see our carrier strike group travel over 26,000 nautical miles from the Mediterranean to the Red sea, from the Gulf of Aden to the Arabian sea and from the Indian ocean to the Philippine sea. Besides the full integration of units from the UK, US and the Netherlands, the carrier strike group will operate with air and maritime forces from a wide number of international partners including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France, Japan, the United Arab Emirates, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Israel, India, Oman and the Republic of Korea.

MayBee70 Sun 23-May-21 17:31:16

Well, I’m relieved to hear that. But I don’t think Johnson made that clear when he had his dressing up in front of an aircraft photo shoot the other day.

Callistemon Sun 23-May-21 17:33:31

It's to ensure trade routes are kept open I think, Maybee.

I missed seeing that, what a shame.