Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC ánd Prince Willuam

(132 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 21-May-21 06:07:16

I am disgusted at the way the BBC have behaved. Prince William was so upset and hurt on her behalf and at her treatment by them. My heart goes out to him, he has behaved with such integrity. Thank goodness he has Kate and his children. Diana would be so proud of him. Who else have they given this treatment too?

theworriedwell Sat 22-May-21 09:11:32

Grany

@suzanne_moore
The year before Charles had admitted adultery and marital breakdown on ITV "Yes ... Until it became irretrievably broken down, us both having tried".
So I kind of think he may have some responsibility too?
This is all bit mad.

Surely the point is they both had responsibility but his adultery is constantly referred to and hers is conveniently ignored. I'm not blaming her by the way as I think people have a right to be happy, the thing I'd blame both for is their lack of consideration for their sons as they bared their souls. Maybe something for Harry to consider.

Anniebach Sat 22-May-21 09:10:32

Surely there must have been criminal offences carried out, if
I lied to someone to get money from them would that not be
a criminal offence such as obtaining money under false pretences?

Iam64 Sat 22-May-21 09:01:47

I read this morning that Earl Spencer has asked Scotland Yard to investigate.
I’ve been shocked by the outcome of this latest investigation, the extent of deception does suggest a criminal investigation is needed.
It’s another occasion that confirms the value of investigative journalism. Also the point that organisations.
/institutions aren’t best placed to investigate themselves

Smileless2012 Sat 22-May-21 08:56:44

Are there no criminal charges that can be brought against this odious creature?

Iam64 Sat 22-May-21 08:51:33

Dinahmo, thanks for putting the excellent piece by Barbara Ellen on this thread.
It’s now clear that Bashir faked documents made false allegations that fed Diana’s anxieties. The press today report he told her the rooms were bugged, that secret services were paying staff to spur on her, thst Prince Williams’s watch had been fitted with a microphone that taped their conversations. Bashir was also the source of the false story that the boys nanny had aborted PC’s child.
PW’s statement makes clear the devastating impact of that interview on his mother’s state of mind and the impact of that on her children in the period leading to her death.

Luckygirl Fri 21-May-21 22:07:20

I value the BBC - I rate it highly. Its radio programmes are in the main splendid and the scope of its coverage is very wide. Radio 3 is a gem - it has lifted my spirits during dark times.

icanhandthemback Fri 21-May-21 21:55:50

I don't know about how much the BBC should get the blame for a dysfunctional marriage where both parties put their needs before their children but the BBC is an international presence and this doesn't nothing for their credibility. I can't think how many times I have heard people of different nationalities say that they turn to the World BBC to get the truth. This is far more damaging than just misleading Princess Diana.

Grany Fri 21-May-21 21:10:47

@suzanne_moore
The year before Charles had admitted adultery and marital breakdown on ITV "Yes ... Until it became irretrievably broken down, us both having tried".
So I kind of think he may have some responsibility too?
This is all bit mad.

theworriedwell Fri 21-May-21 20:45:11

Very true Doodledog.

Grany Fri 21-May-21 20:44:51

Whatever the mistakes of the BBC, Diana freely chose to do the interview and freely chose to say the things she said. The dysfunctional relationships within the royal family are still the main problem here, not the BBC.

Doodledog Fri 21-May-21 20:15:27

greenlady102

Doodledog

Galaxy

Yes be very careful what you wish for. The BBC drives me to distraction at times but it would be a great loss.

Absolutely this.

What would we be left with if the BBC went? Privately owned, individually controlled media, with vested interests at the top who can push whatever agenda they wish.

The BBC may have its faults, but at least it is semi independent and not in the pay of media barons with conflicts of interest galore.

"The BBC may have its faults"

Can you say "understatement"?

Of course I can - English is my first language. Why the sarcasm?

The UK is lucky to have a broadcaster like the BBC, which is not owned by anyone in particular, and is still independent of the government.

This last point is, of course, why the current government is so keen to accuse it of bias, and to persuade the public that it is bad value for money, and generally to bring it down.

No large organisation with numerous employees is ever going to be without crises and free of 'rotten apples', but on the whole, the BBC is the envy of the world for its independent status.

The newspapers are already in the control of the Right, and whether you have right wing views or not, it should be obvious that hearing one perspective on the world is not good for a population. Having a series of different voices, which are not sponsored by big business or other vested interests, is a rare thing around the world, and we give it up at our peril.

GillT57 Fri 21-May-21 19:17:02

Well said Dinamho. This is/was a seriously dysfunctional family and I cannot comprehend how Diana thought that laying bare the sordid details of their extra marital relationships was ever going to make life any easier for their adolescent and pre-,pubescent sons.

Anniebach Fri 21-May-21 18:38:37

Why wasn’t the same when she was in a two year affair with
Hasnet Khan .

Would any family welcome Al Fayed and Dodi Fayed ? Dodi Fayed was executive producer of the film Chariots of Fire, he
was thrown of the set by David Putnam for trying to give the cast cocaine

greenlady102 Fri 21-May-21 18:28:53

Doodledog

Galaxy

Yes be very careful what you wish for. The BBC drives me to distraction at times but it would be a great loss.

Absolutely this.

What would we be left with if the BBC went? Privately owned, individually controlled media, with vested interests at the top who can push whatever agenda they wish.

The BBC may have its faults, but at least it is semi independent and not in the pay of media barons with conflicts of interest galore.

"The BBC may have its faults"

Can you say "understatement"?

greenlady102 Fri 21-May-21 18:26:07

Washerwoman

I'm sorry for what both those boys went through.But Harry's statement where he clearly says his mother was chased to her death because she was in a relationship with someone who wasn't white .Really ?!

he did say that and its true, I remember the nasty gossip in the newpapers. Mohamed Al Fayed was considered "not one of us", as was his son Dodi.

Anniebach Fri 21-May-21 18:23:37

Stating what case Lucca ?

Lucca Fri 21-May-21 18:19:11

Anniebach

Lucca why the sarcasm for my post which was not an opinion
but a fact of the events which caused her death ?

No sarcasm at all. Stating the case.

theworriedwell Fri 21-May-21 18:06:27

Yammy

Aren't we all forgetting as someone who texted the BBC 9 o'clock news pointed out? None of this would have happened if it hadn't been for their father's behaviour in the first place.
If what is he is reported !!!!! to have done is true. He had a married mistress whom he kept on the relationship with after he married a very young mailable girl and expected her to condone it.
This would affect the children of any marriage. How would they feel to be left with the guilty party after watching their mother suffer.
I know some children who have completely cut their father out of their lives after he treated their mother in a similar way. These two men had to get on with life in the public view at all times no wonder they are so upset when they find out a very vulnerable woman was used by the BBC.
It also might also have made her amenable to Martin Bashiers suggestion of a tell it all interview.

I might not be remembering it right but didn't Bashir say PC said the relationship with Camilla had started years after the married? She said she knew that, she could tell when it restarted.

Let's face it she had relationships when she was still with PC. She admitted that about her protection officer, said she was mad about him.

Two wrongs don't make a right but it isn't fair to absolve one and not the other.

theworriedwell Fri 21-May-21 18:03:39

Smileless2012

That's my interpretation theworriedwell.

Thanks.

Peasblossom Fri 21-May-21 18:03:06

We don’t know do we?

Diana said there were three in the marriage.
Charles said he began his affair after his marriage had broken down.

As in all relationships that end badly, people will believe one or the other, according to their own experiences and how they feel about each party.

Personally, I’m not sure that “sympathetic” interviews are worth much in establishing facts. The hard questions don’t get asked and the inconsistencies don’t get explored.

Yammy Fri 21-May-21 17:55:11

Aren't we all forgetting as someone who texted the BBC 9 o'clock news pointed out? None of this would have happened if it hadn't been for their father's behaviour in the first place.
If what is he is reported !!!!! to have done is true. He had a married mistress whom he kept on the relationship with after he married a very young mailable girl and expected her to condone it.
This would affect the children of any marriage. How would they feel to be left with the guilty party after watching their mother suffer.
I know some children who have completely cut their father out of their lives after he treated their mother in a similar way. These two men had to get on with life in the public view at all times no wonder they are so upset when they find out a very vulnerable woman was used by the BBC.
It also might also have made her amenable to Martin Bashiers suggestion of a tell it all interview.

keepingquiet Fri 21-May-21 17:48:13

Great post Dinahmo! Such hypocrisy everywhere regarding this troubled family. Makes my problems look trivial. When will we ever leave these people alone?

Smileless2012 Fri 21-May-21 17:45:06

That's my interpretation theworriedwell.

theworriedwell Fri 21-May-21 17:23:18

Have I worked it out? Did Bashir use the forged documents with Diana's brother to get access to her, so he did use the documents but Diana was telling the truth that she never saw them?

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 17:08:05

Thanks for posting that article Dinahmo, it is very good indeed.