Gransnet forums

News & politics

But they don't get involved in politics, not at all....

(58 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 28-May-21 10:46:41

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-57280315

Earl and Countess of Strathearn meet with Gordon Brown who has just launched a pro-Union initiative.

Callistemon Sun 06-Jun-21 14:12:35

Oh that cake comment did make me laugh Call

I'm glad you found it so funny, it wasn't meant nastily!
?

Do we know exactly what was discussed? Gordon and Sarah Brown do a lot for charity now, as do William and Kate.

FarNorth Sun 06-Jun-21 14:15:27

Brown is not just a former politician with his own personal views.

"Soon after the Holyrood election Mr Brown announced his Our Scottish Future think tank which will become a “campaigning movement” seeking to appeal to “middle Scotland”, those who are not entrenched in their positions on the union or independence."

PW&K may well have been simply informing themselves by meeting with Brown and Sturgeon.

It doesn't mean that there is no hidden agenda from the UK government.

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 14:22:51

They met with Sturgeon I expect because she's running the country.

lemongrove Sun 06-Jun-21 16:10:38

The RF do have quite a big interest in all this Aleg though it remains to be seen if William and Kate basing themselves more at Balmoral and being seen around Scotland more will actually boost public support for the Union.

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 16:16:47

Serious question lemongrove; why do the RF have quite a big interest in this? That might sound naïve but if one of the countries of which they will be head of state wants to change its system of governance, why is it important what they think?

They don't even have a vote here wink

Baggs Sun 06-Jun-21 18:51:11

If by 'here' you mean Scotland, Alegrias, I think you'll find they do have a vote* anywhere in the UK like every other UK citizen who bothers to make sure they're on the electoral register.

*Based on my understanding that even the Queen has a vote but traditionally doesn't use it.

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 18:58:56

That's interesting Baggs, I didn't know that. Maybe the Unionists think they need every vote they can get and the 2 they'd probably get from William and Kate if they move to Scotland might just swing it. wink