Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris is broke (or is he just mean?).

(36 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 29-May-21 23:51:55

Seems his taking a bung on the sly isn't just because he's greedy. He may be financially stretched.

www.businessinsider.fr/us/boris-johnson-money-problems-finances-donations-carrie-symonds-2021-5

MaizieD Sun 30-May-21 00:20:25

Oh, ha ha ha...

Time he learned to manage his money like everyone else has to. Not spend other people's money as though he has a right to be supported in whatever extravagance takes his fancy. What a despicable freeloading pair he and his partner are.

Esspee Sun 30-May-21 05:44:10

Oh well, he now has his new wife’s savings to fall back on.

Sparkling Sun 30-May-21 06:01:23

What a way to,behave, scrounging of friends. more fools they for shelling out, more money than sense. He would soon be responsible if he had to be.

Urmstongran Sun 30-May-21 06:05:50

“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.”

Oscar Wilde.

?

Katie59 Sun 30-May-21 06:48:19

The article is by a French publication so is sure to be biased, that said BJ has a very expensive lifestyle and maintenance for his many children must be significant. Before his election he would have been making money from speaking and writing, paying the taxation on that income would be a burden on the lower wages a PM gets, and no scope for moonlighting.

Because his expenditure is so high another 3 yrs as PM must be quite a worry!.

vegansrock Sun 30-May-21 07:10:11

He use to earn more than double what he gets now knocking out a rubbish column in half an hour, plus all those freebies he is trying to cover up, now he is expected to do a bit of work and turn up at meetings etc he is complaining. He has very expensive divorces and hush money to pay out. Heart bleeds.

Urmstongran Sun 30-May-21 07:23:42

He seems cheery enough to me. Perhaps it’s his ratings in the polls!

Jaxjacky Sun 30-May-21 07:45:23

Industry reviews state Businessinsider is renowned for using click bait to attract readers. Seems to work.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-May-21 08:00:03

Johnson’s life is chaotic, so I doubt very much that he has a handle on his budget or anything else much tbh.

MaizieD Sun 30-May-21 08:26:02

Jaxjacky

Industry reviews state Businessinsider is renowned for using click bait to attract readers. Seems to work.

I didn't bother to read the article linked to, Jj. I know very well that he's complained before about being hard up. Well, he wanted the job. He schemed and lied and split the nation in two to get the job. He should live with the consequences.

Have we ever had a PM before who has lavished other people's money on themselves to such a huge extent?

Despicable. Utterly despicable. Along with the people who defend him, like forelock tugging peasants.

EllanVannin Sun 30-May-21 08:35:06

I like the Oscar Wilde quip Urmston, it made me laugh grin

I doubt that Boris is down on his uppers yet.

MaizieD Sun 30-May-21 08:48:21

EllanVannin

I like the Oscar Wilde quip Urmston, it made me laugh grin

I doubt that Boris is down on his uppers yet.

Well, of course he isn't, EV. He isn't spending anything. He's probably even got some tory donor paying his ex wife's and his children's maintenance. He's taking his supporters for mugs and they're all loving it..

vampirequeen Sun 30-May-21 12:38:15

I'd like to be as poor as he is rather than as poor as I am grin

varian Sun 30-May-21 14:07:42

It seems being PM is only a part time job for Johnson. To make £500,000 he is spending his time writing a book on William Shakespeare.

Do we need another book on Shakespeare or do we need a PM who takes his responsibilities seriously?

Kali2 Sun 30-May-21 18:30:24

This, indeed.

I certainly wonder about the morals and principles of anyone who still supports him now.

Was this to hide from the front pages the 130000?

EllanVannin Sun 30-May-21 18:34:48

Any poor Labour MP's ? How many houses has Starmer got ?

EllanVannin Sun 30-May-21 18:36:44

How many houses has Starmer's supporters got ?

Casdon Sun 30-May-21 19:02:47

Not that it’s relevant to the thread, but according to Google Starmer has one house that he lives in, in London, and seven acres of land in Surrey. He was a very successful lawyer, and as far as is known lives within his means.
Boris apparently owns a house in London, and also bought out his last wife for their rural property (which isn’t a cottage).

Lucca Sun 30-May-21 19:25:22

EllanVannin

How many houses has Starmer's supporters got ?

???

MaizieD Sun 30-May-21 19:45:36

Casdon

Not that it’s relevant to the thread, but according to Google Starmer has one house that he lives in, in London, and seven acres of land in Surrey. He was a very successful lawyer, and as far as is known lives within his means.
Boris apparently owns a house in London, and also bought out his last wife for their rural property (which isn’t a cottage).

And before anyone mentions it, Starmer bought the land for his mother's donkey sanctuary, and no, it doesn't have planning permission on it. All dragged into the press a year or more ago.

I really don't know what EV is on about.

I don't think that Starmer lives on state handouts, either. Unlike Johnson...

Kali2 Sun 30-May-21 20:03:10

He is a highly talented and successful professional and has earned every penny, and lives witihn his means - unlike Johnson.

PippaZ Sun 30-May-21 23:31:33

I wonder whose paid for the wedding?

MaizieD Sun 30-May-21 23:34:16

PippaZ

I wonder whose paid for the wedding?

I think that we can be pretty certain of who hasn't paid for the wedding grin

(though, traditionally, isn't it the bride's parents who pay?)

DillytheGardener Sun 30-May-21 23:44:14

MaizieD “forelock tugging peasants”, nearly split my tea laughing. My husband is one of these, I’ve come to terms with the fact I voted for turkey, but my husband is still drinking the koolaid.