Gransnet forums

News & politics

Political implications of Johnson's Catholicisim

(309 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kali2 Mon 31-May-21 08:52:41

So it seems it is not 'just about' the wedding, but other implications

''Apparently the catholic church states that if a catholic marries a non catholic in any marriage not conducted by the catholic church, the marriage is not recognised as valid. By accepting those terms in order to proceed with his marriage, Johnson is accepting that having been baptised a catholic, he not only still is a catholic, he has always been a catholic.
This has important constitutional implications which I am sure will not have entered his head. Firstly, he has just "come out" as the first catholic Prime Minister in the UK's history.
Secondly, there are certain functions which are the sole responsibility of the Prime Minister which Johnson, as a catholic, is actually barred by law from performing.
The one which come immediately to mind is that under an act passed in the early 19th century and still in force, no catholic is permitted to advise the Queen on the appointment of any office holder in the Church of England.
Any catholic doing so is immediately rendered ineligible to hold any office under the crown for the rest of their life. This is where it gets interesting. Since Johnson became PM, a new Archbishop of York and at least one other diocesan Bishop have been appointed.
The procedure for such appointments is that a committee of the Church of England select a nominee and forward the details to the Prime Minister for approval. This is not automatic. Margaret Thatcher turned down one nomination for a bishop when she was PM. Assuming the PM is agreeable however, they advise the Queen to make the appointment. It would appear therefore that Johnson, a catholic, has advised the Queen regarding at least two appointments in the Church of England contrary to English law, and is therefore barred from life from holding any office of state, and is consequently no longer Prime Minister. I await developments with interest.
I think we should all speak out in mass, not just the Pope. As he is well over due a comment on the UK's human rights issues alone. As now even Amnesty International have Johnson and his vile Conservative Government on their list.''

as explained by an expert responding to an article in The Telegraph.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 19:17:53

How can a wedding in the largest Catholic Church (cathedral?) in the country be regarded as small? I bet there will still be a huge part next year (if we’re not in lockdown again....). Interesting that the news was leaked first to the Telegraph and the Sun.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 31-May-21 19:35:30

MayBee70

How can a wedding in the largest Catholic Church (cathedral?) in the country be regarded as small? I bet there will still be a huge part next year (if we’re not in lockdown again....). Interesting that the news was leaked first to the Telegraph and the Sun.

Numbers attending = small

MaizieD Mon 31-May-21 19:44:05

A small private wedding with no harassment from the press pack was the correct thing to do as we come to the end of 14 months of various degrees of lockdowns.

I'm deeply relieved that he had a small private wedding as I was dreading all the fuss next year when they were supposedly planning to get married, but I'm curious as to why they suddenly decided to get married now.

Kali2 Mon 31-May-21 19:48:34

Pregnant again ???

I think his children are not too bothered about not being recognised by the Catholic Church - if it did not mean that he and his 3rd wife don't recognise them either.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 19:49:28

Septimus?

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 19:52:56

Kali thank you for taking the time to enlighten me, but there was really no need to have wasted your energy. I am more than au fait with the Rite of Baptism and the Sacraments of the Church.
May I ask from where you sourced your information?

As Parish sacristan for more than thirty years, involved in many Baptisms, trainer of altar servers, class teacher of many First Communion and Confirmation classes in a Roman Catholic School, holder of a Post Grad certificate in Catholic Religious Education and Bishop's approval to teach in a Roman Catholic school, etc. etc, I have a basic idea of how things work. wink

As long as one godparent has been baptized a Catholic, the other can be a Christian Witness, (the term recorded on the certificate), with both names recorded on the baptismal certificate and parish register. Also both godparents, Catholic and Christian stand with the parents and priest at the font.
Perhaps things are different in Switzerland, where I think you live.
By the way, you forgot to mention that we also renew our baptismal vows at Confirmation.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 19:59:35

Marydoll
Is it universal that a child can choose a sponsor at confirmation who may be a different person from the godparents?
This is what DGS did but I'm not sure if that is a tradition of the church?

theworriedwell Mon 31-May-21 20:01:03

Bodach

"The point is if he isn't a Catholic then his previous marriages count as do the divorces, so it seems he must be saying he is a Catholic and those marriages and divorces don't prevent him marrying in a Catholic church. If he wasn't a Catholic then he would have to have the previous marriages annulled, which of course he might have. I believe it is easier to do than it used to be."
Dear 'theworriedwell', I think you (and several others) are missing the point. Since neither of Boris's previous marriages took place in a Catholic church, then - so far as the Catholic Church authorities are concerned - these marriages had no religious standing whatsoever, and did not therefore need to be annulled. The only information currently in the public domain is that Boris was born and initially raised a Catholic, but was subsequently confirmed into the CofE at school. Now, he may still be CofE; he may have rejoined the Catholic church; or he may even have finally seen the light and come over to the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland (unlikely, in this context at least) - we simply don't know (and why should we?) But, as I understand it, all he (or anyone else) had to do to get married to a Catholic lady in a Catholic church was to agree that any children would be raised in the Catholic faith.

If he was a Catholic the other marriages are not recognised. If he wasn't a Catholic they are. I think you are the one missing the point.

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 20:05:15

Yes Callistemon, the sponsor at Confirmation does not need to be the godparent. There are a few stipulations.

You must choose your sponsor, and your sponsor must be willing to help you lead a Christian life in harmony with your baptism call and fulfill the obligations connected with it.

Your sponsor must be at least sixteen years of age.

Your sponsor must be Roman Catholic, baptized and confirmed, and have received First Communion.

Your sponsor must be practising his/her faith, that is, a faithful Catholic who attends Sunday Mass on a regular basis.

If married, they must be married according to the regulations of the Catholic faith

Your sponsor must be someone besides your parents. The church prefers that the godparents at baptism serve again as the sponsor at confirmation. You may choose
as your sponsor, your brother, sister, godfather, godmother, aunt, uncle, cousin, friend, neighbour who meets these requirements.
Your parents, step-parents,
foster parents, or guardians may NOT act as sponsors.

theworriedwell Mon 31-May-21 20:05:17

Marydoll

Kali thank you for taking the time to enlighten me, but there was really no need to have wasted your energy. I am more than au fait with the Rite of Baptism and the Sacraments of the Church.
May I ask from where you sourced your information?

As Parish sacristan for more than thirty years, involved in many Baptisms, trainer of altar servers, class teacher of many First Communion and Confirmation classes in a Roman Catholic School, holder of a Post Grad certificate in Catholic Religious Education and Bishop's approval to teach in a Roman Catholic school, etc. etc, I have a basic idea of how things work. wink

As long as one godparent has been baptized a Catholic, the other can be a Christian Witness, (the term recorded on the certificate), with both names recorded on the baptismal certificate and parish register. Also both godparents, Catholic and Christian stand with the parents and priest at the font.
Perhaps things are different in Switzerland, where I think you live.
By the way, you forgot to mention that we also renew our baptismal vows at Confirmation.

Yes, two of my children had a Catholic godparent and a CofE Godparent (Christian Witness) it is absolutely OK and two different priests were involved and both agreed that was the teaching.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 20:10:08

Thanks Marydoll
I think my DGS chose well, although his godparents are all wonderful too, his sponsor adds another dimension.

Kali2 Mon 31-May-21 20:36:39

Marydoll, verbatim from the Catholic Guide.

Theworriedwell, that is wonderful and I am so happy for you that you found an enlightened Priest. The truth is, that is rarely the case.

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 20:43:28

Actually Kali, standard in our Diocese! Our former PP was Vicar General of the Diocese, I must alert him to the fact, he has being doing things the wrong way! wink

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 20:46:34

www.catholicsandcultures.org/practices-values

I think that to survive, religions do have to adapt.

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 21:03:08

Of course religions have to adapt to survive! Catholicism certainly has to.

Kali2 Mon 31-May-21 21:07:48

This I would certainly agree. But I am afraid this is still very rare. Vicar General = not Catholic ?!?

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 21:15:12

Kali2

This I would certainly agree. But I am afraid this is still very rare. Vicar General = not Catholic ?!?

Yes, Catholic.

Equivalent to Archdeacon.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 21:18:14

At one time teachers in Catholic schools all had to be of the RC faith but this is not the case now, at least not in some countries.

Callistemon Mon 31-May-21 21:24:24

Kali2

Anglican too.
Wasn't Thomas Cromwell Vicar General?

But I would always think of a Vicar General as being of the RC faith.

Urmstongran Mon 31-May-21 21:24:54

Whitewavemark2

I am so glad that I am a humanist when I read all this nonsense.

Me too WW. All this man made construct. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 21:27:48

Kali: A vicar general (previously, archdeacon) is the principal deputy of the bishop of a diocese for the exercise of administrative authority and possesses the title of local ordinary. ... The title normally occurs only in Western Christian churches, such as the Latin Church of the Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion.

Kali, you gave me the impression that you were very knowledgeable about Catholicism, I have obviously got that wrong.
I shall leave you to have the last word, I'm sure you will! ?

theworriedwell Mon 31-May-21 21:37:05

Kali2

Theworriedwell, that is wonderful and I am so happy for you that you found an enlightened Priest. The truth is, that is rarely the case.

It isn't rare, I know lots of cases.

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 21:42:01

theworriedwell

Kali2

It isn't rare, I know lots of cases.

Me too, theworriedwell!! There are many enlightened priests in our Diocese, that ethos come from our enlightened Bishop.

polomint Mon 31-May-21 23:05:21

Such a very intetesting discussion , puzzling and contradicting

Peasblossom Mon 31-May-21 23:14:47

Umm, Thomas Cromwell, Vicar General, was Catholic.

He would have been hard pressed to be Anglican!