Gransnet forums

News & politics

Daily papers - L or R political bias?

(44 Posts)
Fennel Tue 01-Jun-21 17:25:41

I was scanning the headlines in Tesco today when a lady asked me if I could see the Express? which I couldn't. I asked her if it was Conservative or Labour.
She looked very puzzled and at last said "I suppose it's Conservative."
Question is, do many of us know that what is published by the press is politically influenced?

Fennel Wed 02-Jun-21 16:07:12

I suppose some might think I was conducting a survey, but it would't bother me. I might ask - " Why do you want to know?"
Like others I only read papers online - or in Tesco. And honestly I didn't know what the Express is. maybe because we never had a TV for most of the last 40 years.
Do people usually choose to read or watch material that coincide with their own feelings or views?

tickingbird Wed 02-Jun-21 09:06:26

Galaxy No offense but if someone asked me that in Tesco I would move quickly away

Scary!!

Lin52 Wed 02-Jun-21 09:04:24

Lin52

lemongrove

The Times is quite different to the Sunday Times ( quite different newspapers.)
I read mostly online, but not much.I do like to read certain columns as they write so well. Mainly I flick through the general news just to get an idea of it.
I do think we can have ‘too much’ news coming at us via all forms of media and it doesn’t do us a lot of good.

I used to be an avid newspaper reader, but got slated by one family member for my reading material. This is what I see, if you don’t read left wing newspapers only you’re a right wing fascist. Now only read snippets on line, from uk , Germany and Us.

Sorry USA.

Lin52 Wed 02-Jun-21 09:03:40

lemongrove

I read mostly online, but not much.I do like to read certain columns as they write so well. Mainly I flick through the general news just to get an idea of it.
I do think we can have ‘too much’ news coming at us via all forms of media and it doesn’t do us a lot of good.

I used to be an avid newspaper reader, but got slated by one family member for my reading material. This is what I see, if you don’t read left wing newspapers only you’re a right wing fascist. Now only read snippets on line, from uk , Germany and Us.

Lin52 Wed 02-Jun-21 08:53:32

Chestnut

I would be confused if you asked me that as it doesn't relate to the location of said newspaper! ?
There is a lot of venom towards certain newspapers where people don't believe they reflect their own political leanings, so you might get some strong views expressed.

Absolutely.

lemongrove Wed 02-Jun-21 08:51:19

TerriBull Wed 02-Jun-21 08:20:44

The Times is the only paper we take these days, we always get the Sunday Times and one or possibly two free if I'm in Waitrose during the week.

I do read the DM and Guardian on line.

IMO The Times is the most balanced newspaper, others might disagree.

MawBe Wed 02-Jun-21 08:19:29

There is not a single news medium - as far as I can tell - that is guaranteed to be unbiased.
The important thing for me is to recognise where that bias lies and if necessary interpret what I read in the light of it.

I know the DT is a Right wing paper , but I (mostly) enjoy reading it for particular writers -Michael Deacon is one who is never unwilling to take a pop at the government or a particular minister.
I used to think the Times gave a balanced view, but that was before Rupert Murdoch..
In the same way, the Guardian will present news and comment from its own perspective- liberal, left wing-ish, usually very socially aware - unlike some of the tabloids.
In years gone by, the Express was highly regarded for the standard of its journalism - alas no more . And I’m afraid I wouldn’t buy the Sun or the Mirror to line a hamster cage.
The main thing is not to accept everything as fact, be aware of bias and read /watch a variety of media sources to form your own opinion.
That said, Channel 4 News is probably as good as it gets.

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Jun-21 08:04:22

I get The Times on a Saturday, check Sky news, BBC and local news online couple of times a day.

grannysyb Wed 02-Jun-21 07:27:32

We have the Times delivered every day and get the Torygraph as well on Sundays. Threads the paper over breakfast while I read it online.

Lucca Wed 02-Jun-21 06:57:03

Sunny82z

If you want a balanced view I suggest the Times and particularly the Sunday Times. From time to time I have bought a Guardian but have lost the will to live half way down page 2.

Agree re the Times, but am genuinely interested to know how you “lost the will to live” so swiftly on reading the guardian ?!

Kim19 Wed 02-Jun-21 06:15:21

Call, don't ever be more serious. Contributions like yours keep me going. And..... I'm keen to keep going!

Chewbacca Tue 01-Jun-21 23:30:41

I'm still mourning the loss of The Pictorial and The People, especially the Sunday editions. sad No idea which way they leant.

Sunny82z Tue 01-Jun-21 22:56:32

If you want a balanced view I suggest the Times and particularly the Sunday Times. From time to time I have bought a Guardian but have lost the will to live half way down page 2.

CanadianGran Tue 01-Jun-21 21:51:14

I've looked up newpapers to see how they lean, especially if it is one from a country other than my own. Sometimes in books a person is described by the newspaper they read, so I've had to investigate.

I found a great website once, but can't find it now that listed newspapers, their circulation and leanings... if i find it again I will mention it.

Some newspapers can hardly be called that anymore, full of sensationalism and celebrity gossip. My go-to news website is CBC, which would be considered similar to BBC.

Talullah Tue 01-Jun-21 20:56:44

I think newspapers will die a death. I don't know anyone who buys one any more. I tend to look at most of them online now.

Galaxy Tue 01-Jun-21 20:55:24

I wonder what will happen to newspapers in say 20 years time. I remember that period when new papers kept appearing and then failing, the correspondent, today? I think was another.

Callistemon Tue 01-Jun-21 20:51:35

I must be more serious.

It is rather difficult sometimes on GN.
Sorry blush

lemongrove Tue 01-Jun-21 20:49:17

Fennel the Express is a newspaper that has been around for a great many years, perhaps you have just forgotten about it.
We can’t remember everything.
I think if a person only reads one newspaper then they start to believe what a lot of it says.Probably best to read at least two with opposing views or none at all.

SueDonim Tue 01-Jun-21 20:47:44

grin Callistemon. Of the two places I can think of locally that sell papers, one has them stacked on a whirly stand. The other seems to go top to bottom. Scottish papers at the top, English ones beneath and local rags at the bottom.

Callistemon Tue 01-Jun-21 20:43:22

SueDonim

Why would you ask if it was Conservative or Labour? confused

Because the left wing papers are always on the left of the rack and the rightwing papers to the right.
The Independent should be somewhere in the middle.

Boom boom

SueDonim Tue 01-Jun-21 20:28:36

You’ve never heard of the Express and don’t know what happened to NotW?

Galaxy Tue 01-Jun-21 20:27:26

The news of the world shut down when it was discovered they were hacking the phone of a murdered child.

Urmstongran Tue 01-Jun-21 20:26:00

I meant the NotW paper. ?

Urmstongran Tue 01-Jun-21 20:25:21

Google it?