Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keir Starmer

(156 Posts)
Ellan Tue 01-Jun-21 22:33:52

Did you watch his interview with Piers Morgan?
What did you think?

Talullah Wed 02-Jun-21 10:26:05

Didn't watch because I can't stand Piers Morgan. So maybe I missed a treat. But Keir wouldn't have been my choice as Labour leader. And I'm not hugely interested in their politician's private lives.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Jun-21 10:28:01

And his taking the knee in his office was just cringeworthy. With Angela Rayner. Perhaps she instigated it. It might have appealed to about 10% of the country but I’m sure the majority of us were embarrassed by it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 10:29:22

I can’t take posters seriously when they knowingly repeat false allegations.

Does that make the post a lie?

I think so

Galaxy Wed 02-Jun-21 10:30:36

I wasnt embarrassed, I didn't particularly have strong feelings either way.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 10:32:13

EllanVannin and Urmstongran Just in case you don't like links, here's the summary from FullFact:

"Mr Starmer was head of the CPS when the decision was made not to prosecute Savile but he was not the reviewing lawyer for the case. An official investigation commissioned later by Starmer criticised both prosecutors and police for their handling of the allegations."

Unfortunately, it is because people spread falsehoods casually that people come to believe them.

"It often happens, that if a Lie be believ’d only for an Hour, it has done its Work, and there is no farther occasion for it. Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it; so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late; the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…" (Jonathan Swift)

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 10:32:33

It is striking that no one is ready to defend Johnson’s integrity, honesty and ability as PM.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 10:33:11

Urmstongran

And his taking the knee in his office was just cringeworthy. With Angela Rayner. Perhaps she instigated it. It might have appealed to about 10% of the country but I’m sure the majority of us were embarrassed by it.

Really? Have you conducted some kind of survey?

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 10:34:50

Do you believe that 90% of the population believes in unicorns?

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 10:40:43

Keir Starmer had no involvement in Worboys' release either.

"The CPS said Sir Keir Starmer did not have "any involvement" in Worboys' case.

He had faced questions over the release as he was director of public prosecutions at the time of Worboys' trial."

EllanVannin and Urmstongran. If you were newspapers, you would need to make retractions. You're not newspapers, so maybe you should just stop making scurrilous accusations.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 02-Jun-21 10:43:56

He is so underestimated and what he has achieved is to be applauded. What stands out is that he cares about people and is prepared to work hard on their behalf. His achievements leave Johnson looking like an amateur but these days that counts for nothing as a big brazen personality trumps ability and substance. I think back to another quietly mannered man who replaced Churchill after the war and changed our Society. That was Attlee so when we use the NHS and collect our pensions think on and about that little man who used his intellect and not a false facade which we have at the moment. Also we didn’t starve in the Second World War like people did in the First WW because Attlee provided us with ration books and looked after the home front. So I say give KS a chance and don’t sideline him. Yes he sounds like a barrister at Question Time but he is using his brain and spends time absorbing detail and that folks is what we need.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Jun-21 10:56:26

I think Keirs problem is that people, even those in the Labour Party, do not understand Keirs working class roots. And they are what motivated him to leave a very good secure job and become a politician. When people question his vision it’s those working class roots that drive him to want to make this country a better place for everyone, to give every child of working class parents the chances that he had. And, as he said, to make people proud of doing the sort of work that his father, a toolmaker, did.

MaizieD Wed 02-Jun-21 10:56:54

EllanVannin and Urmstongran. If you were newspapers, you would need to make retractions. You're not newspapers, so maybe you should just stop making scurrilous accusations.

Thanks, growstuff. It is so dispiriting to have to constantly refute these accusations.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:03:15

MayBee70

I think Keirs problem is that people, even those in the Labour Party, do not understand Keirs working class roots. And they are what motivated him to leave a very good secure job and become a politician. When people question his vision it’s those working class roots that drive him to want to make this country a better place for everyone, to give every child of working class parents the chances that he had. And, as he said, to make people proud of doing the sort of work that his father, a toolmaker, did.

Good post

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:03:44

Lovetopaint037

He is so underestimated and what he has achieved is to be applauded. What stands out is that he cares about people and is prepared to work hard on their behalf. His achievements leave Johnson looking like an amateur but these days that counts for nothing as a big brazen personality trumps ability and substance. I think back to another quietly mannered man who replaced Churchill after the war and changed our Society. That was Attlee so when we use the NHS and collect our pensions think on and about that little man who used his intellect and not a false facade which we have at the moment. Also we didn’t starve in the Second World War like people did in the First WW because Attlee provided us with ration books and looked after the home front. So I say give KS a chance and don’t sideline him. Yes he sounds like a barrister at Question Time but he is using his brain and spends time absorbing detail and that folks is what we need.

Another good post

Galaxy Wed 02-Jun-21 11:09:39

Yes great post lovetopaint, a quiet man to lead, that would be just what we need.

Grany Wed 02-Jun-21 11:17:07

What was his dealing in the Julian Assange case? A political prisoner

A Scottish SNP proposed a motion to investigate Tony Blair for allegedly misleading parliament over Iraq war, Sir Keir Starmer voted against it.

Casdon Wed 02-Jun-21 11:37:21

Yes Grany , he’s a decent man who votes with his conscience.

Alegrias1 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:42:49

No idea what the situation is vis a vis Assange, sorry. I'm sure somebody on here does.

But the Scottish MP was Salmond, in 2016, and nearly all the Labour MPs at the time voted against it. It was described by Tory Ken Clarke as an attempt to pursue and hound Tony Blair.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:28:10

Some people are desperately trying to find something bad to say about him which, you would think with him being in the public eye for so long, would be easy....And yet, when some of us point out things that Johnson has done in the past were told it’s irrelevant.

GillT57 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:30:49

MaizieD

^EllanVannin and Urmstongran. If you were newspapers, you would need to make retractions. You're not newspapers, so maybe you should just stop making scurrilous accusations.^

Thanks, growstuff. It is so dispiriting to have to constantly refute these accusations.

Thanks for trying to get the message across. I fear you may be wasting your breath though as closed minds are made up. Exasperating doesn't cover it. angry

Kali2 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:04:53

The Conservatives want to divide and rule- they achieved it with Corbyn, and think they can do it again.

If the 'far left' of the Party plays their game, Cons, despite the absolute mess Johnson and co have go us into- will win again.

The 'far left' of the Party has to come to terms that the only way to win, is to back Starmer 100%, and make clever alliances with others, Greens, Lib Dems, SNP, etc. In other countries with some form of proportional representation, the Left, Centre and Right can be split into all sorts of factions- but the reality of the First Past the Post system makes that impossible.
Even if, for some in LP, Starmer is not their ideal choice.

Personally, I think he is amazing, calm, very experienced and very well educated, always so well prepared, so calm and to the point. He makes Johnson look like a total idot in PMQT - totally unable to answer any questions and just go red and off on a shameful prepared rant and attack.

And anyone who buys his handicapped mum a donkey sanctuary will get my vote, smile

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:25:07

kali ??

Devorgilla Wed 02-Jun-21 14:49:31

Loveto paint037, MayBee70 and Kali2, good posts. A thoroughly decent, intelligent man and just what we need as leader of our country. If the current PM of this country was a serious politican like Keir the country would then have to choose on policies rather than personalities.

JaneJudge Wed 02-Jun-21 17:22:33

I agree with you Kali smile

Curlywhirly Wed 02-Jun-21 18:55:07

MaizieD

^EllanVannin and Urmstongran. If you were newspapers, you would need to make retractions. You're not newspapers, so maybe you should just stop making scurrilous accusations.^

Quite agree- how many times do people have to be told that they have got it wrong??? It just seems to go in one ear and out of the other!