Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keir Starmer

(156 Posts)
Ellan Tue 01-Jun-21 22:33:52

Did you watch his interview with Piers Morgan?
What did you think?

lemongrove Sat 05-Jun-21 11:52:54

.....although you are correct when you say that Starmer is not
‘Cutting through with people’, if things are the same in another year, who can say what will happen to him as LOTO.
Going on an interview show as he did and baring all is a risky venture, it can work in your favour ( a sob story) or make you appear rather weak. Overall I think politicians are better keeping their private lives as private as possible.
I can’t think of anyone else in the shadow cabinet who would be better though ( there’s the rub!)

Urmstongran Sat 05-Jun-21 12:36:36

I wasn’t the one to bring up the referendum. Cancun was and you responded saying the result was because of lies. I just added my two pen’orth saying voter complacency/laziness didn’t help swing it to Remain.

Ah, we go round in circles. Let it lie. We have to agree to disagree.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Jun-21 12:37:31

Cunco apologies. My message was to PippaZ btw.

Dinahmo Sat 05-Jun-21 14:10:41

Ilovecheese

PippaZ

Ilovecheese

Three months ago he thought it would be wrong to raise corporation tax. Glad to see he has changed his mind.

Where has he said that?

PippaZ
I am sorry not to have got back to you sooner.

An article in The Independent on 24th Feb 2021 stated:
"Labour says it will oppose any hikes in corporation tax on big business, in an extraordinary political reversal ahead of next week’s Budget."

That is where I got the info from. I am very pleased if this is either not true or that he has changed his mind.

Corporation tax rates are increasing. As from April 2023 the main rate is increasing to 25% for profits above £250,000. Profits below £50,000 will be taxed at 19% and there will be marginal relief for companies with profits that fall between the lower and upper limit.

Dinahmo Sat 05-Jun-21 14:22:33

I think that the LP should have a good look at its supporters most of whom are university educated, metropolitan liberals. They won't get back the lost red wall" voters who just aren't interested in voting Labour. These are the people who don't believe policies put forward by the LP, but prefer to accept the nonsense spouted by some of the MSM.

Those supporters that I've described above do actually care about the subjects that matter to people - education, benefits, housing, health. Actually, if you think about it, we don't really need to care because we have most of those things, so why do we bother? We could just vote Tory and hope for continued reductions in income tax.