Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Boris Johnson headed for defeat in the House of Commons over international development?

(48 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 09:21:46

Can anyone add to the scope of my knowledge (small) on this?

I know the Amendment (establishing a new Advanced Research and Innovation Agency) may not even be called and I know that those against the cuts to Foreign Aid are involved.

Can anyone expand on this, please?

EllanVannin Mon 07-Jun-21 12:30:32

Why can't other countries look after themselves ?
Billions have been sent to Foreign Aid over the years---what have these countries done with it ? Half these places are still as barren as when they first began receiving help.

MayBee70 Mon 07-Jun-21 12:33:45

Well, if we stopped selling arms to said countries many of them wouldn’t have the wars that cause a lot of the problems. And, I think you’ll find that, in general the people in this country that care about the poor here are also the ones that care for people in other countries too. And vote accordingly….Also global warming caused by the more affluent countries is having a devastating effect on poorer ones.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 12:41:57

EllanVannin

Anyone noticed the poverty in this country ?

Yes I have been banging on about poverty particularly child poverty for years.

I also know that the drop in poverty throughout the early part of this century was a political decision, just as I know this was reversed during the Tory tenure and is equally a political decision.

theworriedwell Mon 07-Jun-21 12:47:01

ayse

The speaker has decided not to include the amendment so no defeat for Boris here

Oh for Bercow.

theworriedwell Mon 07-Jun-21 12:48:21

EllanVannin

Why can't other countries look after themselves ?
Billions have been sent to Foreign Aid over the years---what have these countries done with it ? Half these places are still as barren as when they first began receiving help.

I'm sure starving children will hang their heads in shame that they haven't done better.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Jun-21 12:51:12

£150 million to China in 2018---the biggest economy in the world !

A pop group in Ethiopia received £4million towards empowering women !?

£100million to India who spent the same on a lunar probe while their citizens are dying of starvation.

£1.5billion to 20 of the most corrupt regimes in the world.

£1.5million for eradicating mice from an uninhibited country.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Jun-21 12:54:28

It has to stop !
If they gave every citizen in this country £1million pound, there'd be no poverty or bad housing and most would be equal.
Why not ?

EllanVannin Mon 07-Jun-21 12:57:46

The parents never looked as though they were starving,theworriedwell !

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 12:58:32

ayse

The speaker has decided not to include the amendment so no defeat for Boris here

Wow, I wonder why? This Speaker is a massive wet flannel and such a disappointment, and clearly just biding time till he gets his place in the Lords.

Alegrias1 Mon 07-Jun-21 12:59:36

EllanVannin

£150 million to China in 2018---the biggest economy in the world !

A pop group in Ethiopia received £4million towards empowering women !?

£100million to India who spent the same on a lunar probe while their citizens are dying of starvation.

£1.5billion to 20 of the most corrupt regimes in the world.

£1.5million for eradicating mice from an uninhibited country.

All of this has been refuted in other posts, many times EV. Lets just pick one or two...

The China thing. That was 3 years ago. The money going there now is about £900k and its given straight to Human Rights groups.

The uninhabited country thing? Imported rodents killing off an island's bird population. The Island, Gough Island, is a British Overseas Territory.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 13:03:58

There are many and complicated reasons why there continues to be a huge gap between the most wealthy countries and poorest.

These reasons include geography, technology, disease, colonial history, slavery and culture.

Each one contributing to the situation that the poorest country finds itself in.

In contrast Western Europe was blessed with favourable geography, leading to highly productive agriculture and food surpluses which allowed the wealth to be directed towards institutional and industrial development.

In contrast much of the developing countries geographical position meant that cash crops were more successfully grown which in turn was owned and controlled by the wealthy nations. The vast amount of mineral wealth in Africa is also largely owned by wealthy westerners.

The history of the developing nations which included colonialism, slavery and exploitation by the west have a continuing and direct effect on poverty.

GillT57 Mon 07-Jun-21 13:15:22

You do not disappoint EV. I cannot even be bothered to try and point out how wrong you are.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 13:16:06

The biggest threat now of course is climate change and rich or poor we are all helpless in the face of changing weather and environment, but because of their geographical position and continuing and growing poverty the poorest will be most affected, some to the extent that their country will become no longer able to sustain human life.

MayBee70 Mon 07-Jun-21 14:26:31

theworriedwell

ayse

Oh for Bercow.

#@**@#**……! ( please feel free to use your imagination……)

MayBee70 Mon 07-Jun-21 15:47:34

Well done Andrew Mitchell for calling the Speaker out on this. Also ( can’t believe I’m saying this) David Davis who is also criticising the government and has been talking a lot of sense re covid over the past year.

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 17:57:48

ayse

Yet.

They could not have the amendment because it was not close enough to be an actual Bill.

However ... he is allowing an emergency debate tomorrow.

The vote on this is not binding on the government but this may mean that more Tories feel they can vote with the debate. If there are enough Johnson will have to listen.

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 17:59:00

I heard David Davis earlier and thought the world might be turning on its head MayBee.

westendgirl Mon 07-Jun-21 18:02:48

There is to be another emergency debate tomorrow . I cannot say more as I only just turned on to hear.

vegansrock Mon 07-Jun-21 18:15:26

All that terrible waste of money on clean water and girls’ education in poor countries. Britain has exploited these countries for centuries. What’s new ?

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 18:50:43

Must say, for the first time ever, I was impressed by David Davis and his comments- never thought he could go up in my estimation, but he has.

MayBee70 Mon 07-Jun-21 18:59:06

David Davis has been appearing on Dr Johns utube blogs discussing VitD etc. I was really surprised at how knowledgeable and sensible he was (regarding the pandemic that is). I’ve emailed Andrew Mitchell and thanked him. I don’t understand the ins and outs of what to debate and what not to but the speaker was visibly shook up by what he said.

GillT57 Mon 07-Jun-21 19:00:36

Oh I missed the Davis bit, will catch it later hopefully. Andrew Mitchell has always taken Overseas Aid seriously and has respect on all sides of the house. Hopefully this will get resolved, it is too shameful for it to go the way the government want, even if the victim blamers think otherwise.