Gransnet forums

News & politics

It is very difficult for a party to "oppose" a party in power that does not have any policies - and the New Tories don't.

(31 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 08-Jun-21 13:02:46

They may tell you they do but any policy is overturned if overturning it will get them enough votes in the right part of the country to help them win next time around. That's all Johnson wants to give his energy to - getting re-elected and having more power.

The government's "culture war" strategy is playing out for just this purpose. Watch Johnson. He decided to overturn a manifesto promise - why. Certainly not because we couldn't afford it - it's a percentage of GDP. So even those who are still working on the premise that M. Thatcher had it right with her handbag economy can see that if GDP goes down so does the amount we pay in aid. If the GDP is roughly the same or goes up - what's the problem?

The problem is that Johnson has been told he will appeal to enough of the right voters in the right places if he appeals to their self-serving baser instincts which have been stirred up by the far-right on the internet and in some of our news outlets. But it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong - or very wrong in this instance - their vote must be captured. Interestingly, this time even some in his own party seem to feel a little sick at this blatant manipulation.

And Johnson will act as the buffoon just to capture centre stage. He will play the fool, look like a scarecrow just as long as all the attention is on him. He truly is the British equivalent of Donald Trump; an out and out populist.

Why did he come out against the Football Super League? This truly deep thinkers answer was "it's unfair". The real answer is in our voting system. Those who also think it is unfair will be in the right numbers in the right places - it's well known he knows little or nothing about soccer! And the same goes for his comments about Ollie Robinson. When do PM's comment on sports decisions? When the right has stirred up the "anti-woke" voters and he wants those votes in that area.

And Brexit- where this all started. Do you really think he wrote two essays, one for leave and one for remain and what each would do for the county? Not on your life. I would bet a pound to a penny that they were one for leave and one for remain and how each could bring him power. I sincerely doubt he had any thoughts about what we would do after that as is not becoming blatantly obvious.

And how do countries end up getting rid of populists - well I can't remember when it has ended well, either for the person or more importantly for the country, can you?

MayBee70 Wed 09-Jun-21 14:58:08

Someone made an interesting point on Facebook just now that, even if Johnson doesn’t answer any questions at least the exchange will have been put on record. I hadn’t thought of that.

MaizieD Wed 09-Jun-21 16:12:53

Trouble is, even though he doesn't answer the actual question he spouts a torrent of lies and he's never been asked to correct them. So they're on the record, too. God help the poor historians 50 years hence trying to make sense of his 'administration from the Hansard record.

MayBee70 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:45:58

There have been a couple of cases recently where lies have been picked up on. I need to ask DH who told me about it. I think it was Kay Burley who’s now back on Sky.

PippaZ Wed 09-Jun-21 22:28:02

The High Court judgement can be read here

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere and I, personally, think it is a triumph for democracy. But the arrogance of Cummings has him tweeting: Court is telling SW1: even in a crisis like a once-a-century pandemic, your real focus shd ALWAYS be the paper trail. This is already a hugely destructive problem & today’s judgment will make it even worse. If covid doesn't justify focus on outcome>process, nothing will.

Anyone who has ever run anything knows that going into headless chicken mode when there is a crisis doesn't help - but that is exactly what they did and that is what they are still trying to justify!

That meant vast sums of money were given to peoples friends or to other spurious contacts for kit that didn't work, didn't meet the standards required or didn't arrive. This was a great mistake and the least they could do is admit it.

If they don't apologise to the nation, and to all those they put in danger and whose loved ones died because of this arrogant take over from those who know how to do these things, they do not deserve to be in power.

varian Thu 10-Jun-21 18:57:30

We need a Public Inquiry ASAP.