Gransnet forums

News & politics

It is very difficult for a party to "oppose" a party in power that does not have any policies - and the New Tories don't.

(30 Posts)
Ilovecheese Tue 08-Jun-21 19:05:29

Chestnut on an anonymous forum, how do you know that no one is or has been a politician.

Chestnut Tue 08-Jun-21 18:09:11

I don't think this is any different to how it's always been. Parties want voters and will do their best to get them. Only by gaining the majority of voters can they win. If they don't get them they lose, and no-one wants to lose.
People who sit behind their keyboards criticising all the time should maybe have been a politician themselves to show everyone how it should be done.

PippaZ Tue 08-Jun-21 18:08:47

I don't think he sees it as years away. One bit of their manifesto they do seem keen to follow is abolishing the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

Ilovecheese Tue 08-Jun-21 17:51:06

But why does he need these populist policies now? We are years away from an election and he has a huge majority.

PippaZ Tue 08-Jun-21 13:02:46

They may tell you they do but any policy is overturned if overturning it will get them enough votes in the right part of the country to help them win next time around. That's all Johnson wants to give his energy to - getting re-elected and having more power.

The government's "culture war" strategy is playing out for just this purpose. Watch Johnson. He decided to overturn a manifesto promise - why. Certainly not because we couldn't afford it - it's a percentage of GDP. So even those who are still working on the premise that M. Thatcher had it right with her handbag economy can see that if GDP goes down so does the amount we pay in aid. If the GDP is roughly the same or goes up - what's the problem?

The problem is that Johnson has been told he will appeal to enough of the right voters in the right places if he appeals to their self-serving baser instincts which have been stirred up by the far-right on the internet and in some of our news outlets. But it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong - or very wrong in this instance - their vote must be captured. Interestingly, this time even some in his own party seem to feel a little sick at this blatant manipulation.

And Johnson will act as the buffoon just to capture centre stage. He will play the fool, look like a scarecrow just as long as all the attention is on him. He truly is the British equivalent of Donald Trump; an out and out populist.

Why did he come out against the Football Super League? This truly deep thinkers answer was "it's unfair". The real answer is in our voting system. Those who also think it is unfair will be in the right numbers in the right places - it's well known he knows little or nothing about soccer! And the same goes for his comments about Ollie Robinson. When do PM's comment on sports decisions? When the right has stirred up the "anti-woke" voters and he wants those votes in that area.

And Brexit- where this all started. Do you really think he wrote two essays, one for leave and one for remain and what each would do for the county? Not on your life. I would bet a pound to a penny that they were one for leave and one for remain and how each could bring him power. I sincerely doubt he had any thoughts about what we would do after that as is not becoming blatantly obvious.

And how do countries end up getting rid of populists - well I can't remember when it has ended well, either for the person or more importantly for the country, can you?