Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sometimes there are no words!

(58 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 10-Jun-21 17:03:41

Boris has flown to Cornwall to discuss climate change.

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:06:18

Indeed ...

sheer provocation or sheer stupidity- or both!

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Jun-21 17:10:23

You couldn't make it up.

dragonfly46 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:14:12

Well I wondered how Biden got to Cornwall from Suffolk where he landed. I am guessing helicopter!!

Talullah Thu 10-Jun-21 17:14:14

Didn't have much choice really. I suppose he could have walked but road/rail would have been tricky.

www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/g7-cornwall-rail-road-closure-5302077

GrannyGravy13 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:16:40

PMQ’s Wednesday lunchtime, only reasonable way to arrive on schedule.

Alegrias1 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:17:00

Did you expect him to hitch hike?

All this indignation about the carbon footprint of the summit. Its a drop in the ocean.

Ellianne Thu 10-Jun-21 17:19:04

I am all for reducing aviation's climate impact, but seriously how else did you expect him to travel.
From Stansted by plane = less than an hour
From Paddington by train = over 6 hours
By road = is anyone's guess, maybe 8 or 9 hours

Sarnia Thu 10-Jun-21 17:23:06

Alegrias1

Did you expect him to hitch hike?

All this indignation about the carbon footprint of the summit. ^Its a drop in the ocean.^

It's a drop in the ocean Sadly that remark seems to be the attitude of people who don't bother with recycling and make no effort to reduce their own carbon footprint as they say they cannot make a difference just by themselves, so why bother.

maddyone Thu 10-Jun-21 17:25:23

Did you expect him to hitchhike? grin

Love it grin

Alegrias1 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:25:35

It really is a drop in the ocean and you trying to make out I don't care will get you nowhere.

I've got stats and I'm not afraid to use them. grin

Off to put my plastic recycling bin out for pickup tomorrow and to give the compost a stir before dinner.

Gwyneth Thu 10-Jun-21 17:26:12

There are indeed no words for the criticism the PM has received from some posters for flying to Cornwall. As other posters have sensibly pointed out how was he supposed to get there on time?

maddyone Thu 10-Jun-21 17:28:28

Well I agree that’s it’s a drop in the ocean, but I do bother with recycling! And I’d make a guess that judging by her posts, Alegrias does too. In fact judging by the posts I see on Gransnet, I’d say most, if not all of us ‘bother’ with recycling.

Talullah Thu 10-Jun-21 17:28:33

There really was no other way that he could travel there, Sarnia

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 17:30:32

He could have used Zoom, or Teams, or any of the other online systems that the rest of us now use instead of business trips.

Urmstongran Thu 10-Jun-21 17:31:48

...and the Americans with 17 vehicles, all of which would have been transported across the Atlantic!

Yes Boris cycles around Westminster!

Talullah Thu 10-Jun-21 17:33:35

Doodledog

He could have used Zoom, or Teams, or any of the other online systems that the rest of us now use instead of business trips.

Oh yes, The wonderful Zoom. I've had to sit through a few of those. Mutes, freezing, children wandering in despite being told not to. Door bells ringing. Phones ringing. Toilets flushing. Builders next door banging. They've been hell. If I never have to sit through one of those again I'll die happy.

Talullah Thu 10-Jun-21 17:34:19

Urmstongran

...and the Americans with 17 vehicles, all of which would have been transported across the Atlantic!

Yes Boris cycles around Westminster!

Good point, Urmstongran. Those cars are quite amazing.

rosie1959 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:36:15

Don’t blame him expect he has more important things to worry about
Probably less of a security risk too

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 17:36:43

He flew there yesterday and his excuse for flying was because he had to get there quickly to meet Biden, who was in Suffolk....

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 17:36:57

Talullah

Doodledog

Oh yes, The wonderful Zoom. I've had to sit through a few of those. Mutes, freezing, children wandering in despite being told not to. Door bells ringing. Phones ringing. Toilets flushing. Builders next door banging. They've been hell. If I never have to sit through one of those again I'll die happy.

Well yes, but they are rather different in a business setting ?. No children, no dogs, people who know how to use the mute button to best advantage, thus eliminating the rest of the distractions, and best of all no carbon footprint.

If it's good enough for the rest of us, why can't politicians use it?

maddyone Thu 10-Jun-21 17:37:11

It’s my opinion that it shouldn’t be taking place at all given the worldwide pandemic, but since it is, I don’t begrudge BJ flying down to Cornwall. Why would I? All the others will have flown in from all over the world.

JenniferEccles Thu 10-Jun-21 17:41:42

Well he would have wouldn’t he?
He certainly wouldn’t have wanted to have got stuck in the holiday traffic on the A30.
There are security issues too of course.

Chestnut Thu 10-Jun-21 17:45:17

Was Boris the only one to fly there? I imagine all the leaders flew there along with their teams. And then there are all the Police and everyone else involved, quite a few people I'm sure.
Don't forget with so many people in this country our road and rail network are not always speedy and reliable.

Eloethan Thu 10-Jun-21 17:47:17

The whole thing is probably a waste of time. Nothing much seems to come out of these events - except, according to reports, they have a jolly nice meal.

The transport links to Cornwall are very poor so perhaps it's time they were improved - more for the sake of people who live there.