Gransnet forums

News & politics

Please can someone reminds us what WTO would mean for UK

(21 Posts)
Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:47:31

If the UK insists on bending the rules and not abiding by the Deal they have negotiated and signed up to - the whole thing might collapse, and No Deal or WTO would possibly be only options left.

What would WTO really mean, in practical terms, for UK?

vegansrock Thu 10-Jun-21 18:18:25

Prices would go up.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:22:19

Tariffs.

We along with one other country in the entire world would be the only full time members.

It won’t happen

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 18:29:39

Exactly....it won’t happen.

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:45:49

So, what then? If the UK refuses to adhere to the Deal they have negotiated and signed up to- and the EU insists that they do (quite rightly)

No Deal?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:48:58

No Johnson will cave in. He has too as he is being pressured by Biden..

No deal = no USA trade agreement.

Brexit ensured that we can be pushed around and pressurised by everyone except very small countries.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 18:52:31

Both Johnson and the EU will be pressured by Biden.
Therefore something, on both sides will have to give.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 18:53:53

No, we can’t be pushed around ww with the exception of the US ( who push everybody around.)

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:56:41

Who is pushing anyone around? Johnson has negotiated a Deal, he knew exactly what this Deal meant, but very dishonestly thought he could sign and then go back on the Deal. He is trying to push around the EU- and the EU, totally fairly, will not let him. Simple enough. So, what then?

Lin52 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:02:39

Kali2

Who is pushing anyone around? Johnson has negotiated a Deal, he knew exactly what this Deal meant, but very dishonestly thought he could sign and then go back on the Deal. He is trying to push around the EU- and the EU, totally fairly, will not let him. Simple enough. So, what then?

Another side to the story for those who care to read it
uk.newschant.com/politics/the-imperial-eu-is-blind-to-the-folly-of-its-unequal-northern-ireland-brexit-treaty/ I must admit as have always thought of the EU as such.

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:05:21

lemongrove

Exactly....it won’t happen.

Well it was Urmstongran who suggested it could happen.

So which will it be?

WTO or No Deal - or the UK will have to adhere to the Deal they have negotiated and signes up to, in the full knowledge that NI was going to be a major issue.

The 4th option is just not on the table, the EU won't budge.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:11:53

Lin52

Kali2

Another side to the story for those who care to read it
uk.newschant.com/politics/the-imperial-eu-is-blind-to-the-folly-of-its-unequal-northern-ireland-brexit-treaty/ I must admit as have always thought of the EU as such.

I suppose an Indian publication might know better than the USA President, Europe and the majority of opinion in the U.K.

I’m willing to be open minded 😄

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:17:21

The transtition period will soon be over, so we should know fairly soon. I also thin Biden will make things crystal clear about having to respect the GFA and the Deal.

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:18:20

If Biden has to make a choice between a Deal with EU or a Deal with UK, we truly think he would choose UK?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:20:07

Biden has been warning Johnson since before he was elected as president.

If Johnson doesn’t comply, a trade deal will never get through Congress. Both sides will ensure that.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:20:46

I didn’t vote to be pushed around did you?

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:25:35

WTO rules would require a hard border between NI and Republic of Ireland too.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:26:15

Kali2

WTO rules would require a hard border between NI and Republic of Ireland too.

😄

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:47:13

I am not ashamed to say that since Urmstongran's post, I have had to go back and look for links and do some reading ro remind myself.

In case anyone is interested- here is one of them that looks at the question very carefully

ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/What-would-trading-on-WTO-terms-mean.pdf

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 19:57:54

But I do think we all need a bit of fun and laughter- this is so so funny ... and all predicted long ago

youtu.be/OzeDZtx3wUw

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 20:02:10

And of course

fb.watch/626O4kT169/