Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jill Biden.

(299 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 10-Jun-21 21:29:27

How fantastic does this woman look for 70 yrs of age? She's slim and extremely stylish, great hair as well and she wears stilettos! She's still working as a professor of English and she's the first lady of America. Not sure about the jacket with LOVE emblazoned on the back though. Apart from that my hat is off to you Jill! You're an example to us all.

maddyone Sat 12-Jun-21 13:50:11

Fanny why did I like Melania? I think I felt rather sorry for her because 1) she was married to Donald Trump (her own doing I appreciate) and 2) because I don’t think she enjoyed being First Lady at all, and she didn’t make a decision to be First Lady, whereas other First Ladies have appeared to enjoy the role. I think the fact that she wasn’t attention seeking, and seemed rather shy, but did perform her duties well.
I also enjoyed seeing her fashion choices, but that could be any First Lady, or person in the news.
I think mainly I liked her because she didn’t seek attention at all.

Ellianne Sat 12-Jun-21 13:54:39

Any guesses as to what tonight's beach attire will be? Long kaftan dresses, Bermuda shorts, Boris in a tropical shirt and flip flops?

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 14:08:43

I volunteered at the school and soon saw she was a lively child who joined in with playground rough and tumble with the best of them ....... I assume she had the same bubble round her as Elizabeth Taylor.
My oldest brother could go out and play in the garden but still look immaculate at the end of the day.
I looked like a harum scarum without even trying.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 14:10:03

Long kaftan dresses
Boris rocking the Demis Roussos look?

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 14:15:55

Lucca

Jabberwok

So did I Ilovecheese, but didn't have the bottle to say so on here.

She could have been beautiful yes but her face lacked the expression which IMO would have made her beautiful.

Melania is beautiful but I think she was always there with him under sufferance and, hard as she tried, she had difficulty faking it.

MawBe Sat 12-Jun-21 14:20:24

And yours Alegrias ?

Rammy - empty room hmm

theworriedwell Sat 12-Jun-21 14:24:17

Callistemon

^I volunteered at the school and soon saw she was a lively child who joined in with playground rough and tumble with the best of them ....... I assume she had the same bubble round her as Elizabeth Taylor.^
My oldest brother could go out and play in the garden but still look immaculate at the end of the day.
I looked like a harum scarum without even trying.

Do you think that as well as some getting the Elizabeth Taylor bubble others get the Wurzel Gummidge bubble?

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 14:34:05

^I think appearance is important - I would rather look at Justin Trudeau in a sharp suit than Dom Cummings in a crumpled t shirt and jeans. Trudeau looks the business, Cummings doesn’t give a flying^?
In fact other than Dom Cummings, name me any figure on the political,stage, male or female, who makes no effort with their appearance?

I think any woman would rather look at Justin Trudeau than Dominic Cummings and yes, appearances are important when a person is on the political or world stage.

Corbyn realised that and smartened himself up a lot from the shaggy haired scruffy look in shell suits to a smart, well turned out politician. One look at his brother, though, and who could take Piers Corbyn seriously?

Boris tries, I think, but like some people, however hard they try, they never seem to manage to get that pulled together look.

Is it right that we'd rather listen to Justin Trudeau than Cummins because he's easy on the eye and smart and Cummings looks like a wild-eyed scruffbag? Probably not, but it's how it is and most people realise that otherwise they just wouldn't bother.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 14:38:23

Do you think that as well as some getting the Elizabeth Taylor bubble others get the Wurzel Gummidge bubble?
??

Yes and it's most unfair when one sibling gets the immaculate genes and the other the scarecrow genes. You'd think fate would be kind and give the immaculate genes to the girl! (He got the blond hair too and I got the more mousy/red locks.)

NotTooOld Sat 12-Jun-21 15:12:33

Returning to the pic of Carrie and Mrs B on the beach, did anyone else wonder if they had been wearing tights or just turned up on the beach tight-less and in flip flops all ready to paddle?

BlueSky Sat 12-Jun-21 15:19:23

I do like Brigitte Macron.

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Jun-21 15:30:42

NotToOld not really tights weather I’d have thought.
I think it’s sad that appearances matter, whatever the sex of the person, but for a lot of people they do.
I now struggle with formal clothes, I’ve done it successfully for many years through my career, now I feel as though I’m restricted and avoid it. Don’t envy anyone at the G7 or elsewhere who feels obliged to look smart all of the time, especially in the public eye.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 12-Jun-21 16:17:39

BlueSky

I do like Brigitte Macron.

She and Dr Biden could have interesting conversations about their teaching careers!

maddyone Sat 12-Jun-21 16:19:23

I don’t think Carrie and Jill Biden were wearing tights. Carrie definitely wasn’t. The flip flops were identical, they were probably given them by the hotel, along with hotel slippers.

theworriedwell Sat 12-Jun-21 16:34:50

Callistemon

^Do you think that as well as some getting the Elizabeth Taylor bubble others get the Wurzel Gummidge bubble?^
??

Yes and it's most unfair when one sibling gets the immaculate genes and the other the scarecrow genes. You'd think fate would be kind and give the immaculate genes to the girl! (He got the blond hair too and I got the more mousy/red locks.)

My brother got the long eyelashes, I've always thought they were supposed to be mine.

Ellianne Sat 12-Jun-21 16:35:41

maddyone

I don’t think Carrie and Jill Biden were wearing tights. Carrie definitely wasn’t. The flip flops were identical, they were probably given them by the hotel, along with hotel slippers.

Available for use in the spa and pool.

halfpint1 Sat 12-Jun-21 17:40:35

To clarify, by 'age appropriate' I mean, stylish and classic , because she can afford it and as she's not very tall the heels
work as well.
'age appropriate' rules out too much boob and leg because
with the best will in the world who wants to see too much of
that at 70.

As for Melanie Trump, i'm puzzled , her first lady attitude
screamed I don't want to be here and yet she's still at his side.

Yammy Sat 12-Jun-21 18:07:07

Lucca

Mouton vetu en agneau?

So Parisian Chic is mutton dressed as lamb some of us can read French and American Barbie isn't cow dressed as calf?

Lucca Sat 12-Jun-21 18:13:48

Yammy

Lucca

Mouton vetu en agneau?

So Parisian Chic is mutton dressed as lamb some of us can read French and American Barbie isn't cow dressed as calf?

I think you’ll find it was Witzend who described Mme Macron her thus, not me….. I merely translated . I actually have no idea how she dresses.

maddyone Sat 12-Jun-21 18:17:43

Yes Ellianne I thought as much.

Ellianne Sat 12-Jun-21 18:20:42

Hmm not sure that translation works?

French would say, "Elle s'habille trop jeune pour son âge".
Sounds a bit more polite than mutton and lamb.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 12-Jun-21 18:21:29

Why would anyone wear tights on a day like today? It isn’t the law. I can remember years ago at the Melbourne Cup (?) Jean Shrimpton, possibly, going tightless! Wow, call the fashion police.

Lucca Sat 12-Jun-21 18:29:28

Ellianne

Hmm not sure that translation works?

French would say, "Elle s'habille trop jeune pour son âge".
Sounds a bit more polite than mutton and lamb.

Of course. I like translating literally sometimes for comic effect! Like sur l’autre main” for example and I’ll pleut chats et chiens.

The fact remains it was not I who criticised Brigitte !!

Calendargirl Sat 12-Jun-21 18:47:59

theworriedwell

Found it! Yes I have noticed there seems to be alot of pink scalp shining through so you might be on to something.

Off topic but I noticed Prince Charles making a speech yesterday and he seems to have hung on to his hair quite well for a man who started losing it quite young if I remember correctly. He's certainly hanging on to it more than William.

Perhaps Charles has hung on to his hair since he and Diana divorced, and subsequently married Camilla, he is probably just happier and less stress was good for his hair.

Having said that, with all that’s happened lately, he will probably soon be bald.

Sofijade10 Sat 12-Jun-21 22:38:40

New Zealand’s Prime Minister has a very supportive husband actually.