Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jill Biden.

(299 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 10-Jun-21 21:29:27

How fantastic does this woman look for 70 yrs of age? She's slim and extremely stylish, great hair as well and she wears stilettos! She's still working as a professor of English and she's the first lady of America. Not sure about the jacket with LOVE emblazoned on the back though. Apart from that my hat is off to you Jill! You're an example to us all.

Chewbacca Fri 11-Jun-21 09:18:43

rafichagran ?

Galaxy Fri 11-Jun-21 09:22:43

Yes people are free to discuss peoples looks, (actually it's mostly womens looks), and equally people are free to comment on that and the reasons why we disagree with it.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Jun-21 09:25:47

Rafichagran
You ask why I think that it's unreasonable to judge people on their looks.
I have already used my own experience as an example to illustrate my views

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 09:26:13

FannyCornforth

Lucca Joe Biden's face is more than a tad odd
I heard that some particularly far gone QAnon types believe that his face is actually a mask
(presumably to hide his real, reptilian fizzog? ?)

What's odd about his face?

TerriBull Fri 11-Jun-21 09:27:47

Yes she definitely looked great, when I first saw her picture paddling about in the shallows, I thought she may have been Carrie's mother, then it clicked. She is indeed very stylish. I think older women who are public figures are bound to strike an interest with the demographic on GN and definitely a bit of "she's looking good for her age, I'd like to look like that"

I know Melania has awful taste in men, well at least the one we know about. Nevertheless, I too think she looked stylish and she carried herself very well, albeit a lack of facial expression which was very cat like, but then I like cats. I believe she was a model at one time. She's not the only one who always wears those vertiginous heels that some of us may well have liked when we were younger, but all I think of now is "They might be Jimmy Choos or the like but I wouldn't want those on for very long"

Kali2 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:29:04

aquagran

Oh, I admire women of seventy who wear heels and are slim. Doesn’t mean I don’t value their other qualities.

Yes, but the issue here for many is that the other qualities are rarely mentionned- as in this case.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 09:31:06

She did look like her Mum, it isn't her Mum is it? grin

rafichagran Fri 11-Jun-21 09:31:29

I did not use the word judge Fanny, you did. I used the words comment, and admire.
This is not a thread about you or your personnel circumstances.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 09:32:19

rafichagran

I did not use the word judge Fanny, you did. I used the words comment, and admire.

Are you comfortably in the empathy bypass zone?

Redhead56 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:32:56

She is a pleasant looking lady we would all look fab if we had stylists to make the best of our appearance. She is fortunate to be slim for her years a lot of people struggle with their weight. The blonde hair with false eyelashes isn’t a look I would want personally.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 09:34:37

Kali2

aquagran

Oh, I admire women of seventy who wear heels and are slim. Doesn’t mean I don’t value their other qualities.

Yes, but the issue here for many is that the other qualities are rarely mentionned- as in this case.

In the OP She's still working as a professor of English and she's the first lady of America. So other qualities were mentioned, she is a clever, well educated, influential woman who also looks great for her age.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Jun-21 09:37:01

rafichagran

So stop referring to me then!
I am abundantly aware of who doesn't like me on here; you don't need to make it so obvious!

Alegrias1 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:37:19

This is bizarre though, isn't it?

Professor of English, works with children who have learning disabilities, founder of several charities, Second Lady of the US for 8 years and now First Lady.

And we're talking about her eyelashes.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 09:38:39

although, I'm jealous of your personnel

rafichagran Fri 11-Jun-21 09:41:41

Very comfortable Jane thanks for asking. This was a pleasant thread, and stating how good a woman looked.
As I said up thread the suffering of people with anorexia, and bulimia is alful, but it is really not what this thread is about.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Jun-21 09:42:07

I think Jill looks healthy and at ease with herself, so does Carrie, confidence makes a huge difference to how we’re perceived. It’s a happy picture and makes a pleasant change.

Chewbacca Fri 11-Jun-21 09:46:28

I'm curious as to why it is acceptable to say ^ Biden's face is more than a tad odd. I heard that^ some particularly far gone QAnon types believe that his face is actually a mask (presumably to hide his real, reptilian fizzog? ?)

But it's not acceptable to say How fantastic does Jill Biden look for 70 yrs of age? She's slim and extremely stylish, great hair as well and she wears stilettos! She's still working as a professor of English and she's the first lady of America.

If we are to judge people purely on their achievements and merits, is this not an example of double standards?

foxie48 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:47:16

Strikes me that women can't win! Those that look after themselves, staying trim and stylish into their 70's, can't be complimented? What tosh! Jill Biden looks great so does Joe. Anyone in their 70's knows it requires discipline to stay a healthy weight and for post menopausal women, keeping the fat from accumulating round the middle takes some effort even with the right genes. Surely even in this increasingly dismal world it's still OK to say someone looks good?

lemongrove Fri 11-Jun-21 09:50:30

rafichagran

Very comfortable Jane thanks for asking. This was a pleasant thread, and stating how good a woman looked.
As I said up thread the suffering of people with anorexia, and bulimia is alful, but it is really not what this thread is about.

Exactly ????

rafichagran Fri 11-Jun-21 09:52:44

Sorry to disappoint you Fanny but I neither know you, or in fact think about you, I was commenting on your post only.
I think it is strange you think posters do not like you. I never think like that, as posters on here do not know me, so cannot make a informed decision, posters may not like or disagree with what I post, and the same goes for me but I do not take it personally.

lemongrove Fri 11-Jun-21 09:54:09

I think she looks smart and stylish in a good ordinary way, (not overdone)but also manages to look relaxed in any scenario, which is important.Not all ‘first ladies’ manage that.

Kate1949 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:59:42

I think she looks great. I also think Madame Macron looks great. They are on the world's stage. People are bound to comment.

Alegrias1 Fri 11-Jun-21 10:01:04

What do we think of Merkel? You know, the most powerful woman in the world? How are her eyelashes?

rafichagran Fri 11-Jun-21 10:01:43

Agree totally lemongrove smart, stylish, and also looks very relaxed.

Chewbacca Fri 11-Jun-21 10:16:25

What do we think of Merkel?

Hmmmm, well, in my expert opinion, I think she looks better in the pastel coloured, shapeless, boxy jackets than she dies in the primary coloured ones. I didn't know she had eyeslashes, so can't say.

So... What about the negative comments that were aimed at Joe Biden and his odd face? He's the most powerful man in the world so is it acceptable to make comments on his appearance; particularly his face, which he cannot actually do much about? confused