Gransnet forums

News & politics

Purpose of the G7 Summit 2021

(59 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:10:50

I thought I'd start a thread that was about the actual business of the Summit, i.e. why its happening and what the purpose is. To be honest, I'm not so clear myself but a quick Google search suggests they'll be talking about the environment, future pandemic responses, vaccines and cryptocurrencies.

Shoes, toddlers and local sausages can be talked about on other threads ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 05:46:25

Ironically, British farmers and fishermen were amongst the strongest supporters of Brexit and are the first to be thrown under the Brexit bus.

#can’t trust this government.

Casdon Wed 16-Jun-21 05:37:19

It’s cars, pharmaceuticals and whisky nanna8. It will be a good thing for Australia if dependence on China can be reduced. The things my Australian family members miss most from the UK are Walkers crisps, M&S underwear and beer, so they’re hoping.

nanna8 Wed 16-Jun-21 01:33:31

As regards Australia the whole thing seems to be a waste of time. Why would we want free trade with the UK? Nothing in it for us and we don’t want more lawyers,we have enough of our own but that seems to be a likely result. It is also a matter of trust, or lack of. Not a good history there,sadly. I seriously don’t think marmite and penguins will cut it. Ah well, another nail in our coffin.

Kali2 Mon 14-Jun-21 23:02:16

Does anyone really think that Biden will prefer to do a Deal with the EU, or the UK?

If the EU and USA go into some kind of partnership- where does that leave the UK?

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 21:13:12

Joe Biden's candid message to Johnson

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/joe-biden-brexit-8055136

MayBee70 Mon 14-Jun-21 13:00:29

I tend to forget that he was deputy President for 8 years. He’s probably the most experienced politician in the world. I love hearing to him speak. I still can’t believe that the abomination that was Trump is gone.

Kali2 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:35:30

Biden is a very humane, very intelligent, highly experienced man. He was polite and friendly to Johnson, but I am absolutely sure he saw right through him- and will in the future act accordingly.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 18:10:05

Oliver Dowden in trouble for saying The Minack had received government help during the pandemic which was refuted by the Theatre which is a charity and has received no help whatsoever,

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:02:33

“Interesting comments by Biden on tax at his press conference. He doesn’t just attack tax abuse by multinationals, he also addresses the culture that thinks it appropriate to avoid tax - making clear it undermines good governance, proper investment and sound labour relations”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:55:03

Apparently foreign news journalists were really angry as they weren’t allowed into Johnson’s press conference, just a couple. Johnson allowed only one foreign question then buggered off!

Did you notice that Johnson only had the British flag? Whereas everyone else had all the flags.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:52:11

MayBee70

Trump clone….

One journalist sort of suggested that didn’t he?

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:50:32

Trump clone….

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:45:08

Am American journalist

“Johnson’s is known for a real weakness, where he likes to be friendly with everyone, but ultimately he lets his friends down”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:41:41

He simply side stepped so many questions.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:39:34

He legged it at the end when asked about reduction in foreign aid…..

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:37:59

He’s absolutely squirming at the news conference….

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:23:27

This has been the most important G7 summit in a generation , and it is clear that journalists think that Johnson has ensured, single handedly, it to be a complete car crash.

Brexit has overshadowed the whole weekend when it should have been the environment, focus on the cooperation with other democracies, covid and developing nations.

Johnson is having a hard time convincing the journalists.

MayBee70 Sat 12-Jun-21 17:27:14

Methinks there’s more than one epidemic/pandemic doing the rounds here confused

NannyC2 Sat 12-Jun-21 16:52:38

The G7 is only men/women planning to steal your money, freedom and property i.e. The New World Order, but don't worry, we'll have nothing but we will be happy!
So keep wearing your masks and smile.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:21:01

And this- it is such a relief to know that those critical of Johnson in this country are echoed by others who have to work with Johnson.

“Johnson is getting a lesson in international relations at the G-7 in Cornwall. US and EU leaders are demonstrating a scant regard for Johnson and do not trust him to uphold treaties or international law. There is a lot of pushback against the UK. Global Britain just hit the wall“

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:19:01

This

“After reporting for decades from international conferences I cannot personally remember a British Prime Minister being regarded with such disdain bordering on contempt. In the 90s Major was dubbed Dr. No for blocking EU decisions, but he was still respected. Not the case with BJ”

Graham Lucas

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:16:48

“In an unprecedented development at a G-7 summit Downing Street has denied the official French account of the meeting between President Macron and PM Johnson. According to the Elysee, Macron told BJ a reset of relations would only be possible if Johnson kept his word with the EU”

Ellianne Sat 12-Jun-21 14:08:55

MayBee70

Wasn’t the Eden Project meant to be a way of creating jobs in the SW due to the decline of fishing there? It’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to go to.

Every year it was on our school trips list. Very educational. Certainly jobs there for botanists, gardeners and habitat educationalists from what I saw. Very popular place.

Dinahmo Sat 12-Jun-21 12:41:09

lemongrove

Ah, Macron Kali .....he can always be relied on to try and rubbish anything about the UK.?
He’s not having a good time in France lately so a bit of indignation and finger pointing may distract the public there from wanting to slap him.

A bit like Johnson et al trying to deflect the various accusations by telling us regularly about the success of the vaccine.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:38:06

MayBee70

Wasn’t the Eden Project meant to be a way of creating jobs in the SW due to the decline of fishing there? It’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to go to.

It really is worth a visit.

We used to take the GC if the weather was a bit dodgy as they always had stuff for them to do. One year Eden provided all sorts of material to make a camp, and they spent hours building bigger and better ones. Another year there was loads of stuff to make water ways etc. That kept their attention for hours.

I followed Eden from the time it was started, on my home visits, but haven’t been there for a few years now as we usually take the dog when we go back home.