Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nick Watts

(54 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 11:23:14

The video showing him being pursued and harangued by a mob of anti- lockdown ears is an utter disgrace.

On line radicalisation is to blame, and what happens when critics are trashed, lies are believed and scapegoating is widespread.

This can’t continue.

Imo the police who watched it taking place need to rethink their strategy.

Cunco Tue 15-Jun-21 21:47:39

The inaction of the police in the incident involving Nick Watts is under a police investigation; and the action of the insulting and threatening demonstrators has been widely condemned by, among others, the BBC, Number 10 and Priti Patel. It is reported that the demonstration, attended by Piers Corbyn, was largely peaceful but obviously, not entirely.

Social Media plays a part these days but demonstrations that turn violent are not new. Either there are those intent on causing trouble within the groups or the groups take on a mob mentality. If alcohol has been consumed, it just oils the wheels of violent protest.

growstuff Wed 16-Jun-21 11:54:47

Alegrias1

The police are in no way to blame, only the baying mob are to blame.

I'm afraid I disagree. It took place outside the entrance to Downing Street. There were dozens of police on duty, who must have been able to see what was happening. Not only did a group of people abuse Nick Watt verbally, but some pushed him. The police just stood by and watched.

One man has now been arrested. Not only has he said he doesn't regret his actions, but he has tagged his Facebook trolling account, so everybody can read what he's been writing, doing and planning. It's quite a disturbing read.

growstuff Wed 16-Jun-21 11:56:50

This particular group didn't just "turn nasty". They went with the deliberate intention of causing trouble, which is obvious from the comments on Facebook before the demonstration.

GillT57 Wed 16-Jun-21 12:19:29

I watch Newsnight and consider it a bit more incisive than many political programmes, Emily Maitliss is rather good at rattling politicians. However, this is irrelevant, what is important is that a recognisable public figure was harassed and pursued on the street, when he should have been able, like all of us, to go about his business freely and safely. This type of behaviour plays straight into Ms Patel's hands and her plans to ban demonstrations. Stupid, stupid people.

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 12:30:26

Fair point growstuff, about the police.

I did wonder if the police were trying to stay out of it to stop violence escalating? Not an excuse at all, of course, and I think they are being investigated.

growstuff Wed 16-Jun-21 16:18:09

It's five years since Jo Cox was murdered. It wouldn't have taken much for one of the idiots harassing Nick Watt to have had a knife. It is not acceptable for people just doing their job to be unsafe on the streets.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 16:27:07

growstuff

It's five years since Jo Cox was murdered. It wouldn't have taken much for one of the idiots harassing Nick Watt to have had a knife. It is not acceptable for people just doing their job to be unsafe on the streets.

That is exactly what I have been thinking.

Those encouraging the cultural divide will be directly responsible if something happens.

Galaxy Wed 16-Jun-21 18:49:27

Some of the most unpleasant mocking of the press I have seen is from the left. I say that as someone on the centre left.

Ilovecheese Wed 16-Jun-21 18:54:06

But Nick Watts wasn't being mocked though was he. He was being threatened.

Galaxy Wed 16-Jun-21 18:56:21

Indeed but whitewave mentioned that this was linked to those encouraging the cultural divide, I am not sure it's that simple, I think there is contempt for journalism from all sides.

growstuff Wed 16-Jun-21 19:45:39

I looked at the Facebook account of the man who has been charged. He's not a stereotypical right-winger. Ideologically, he has much in common with the lot who stormed the Whitehouse. He doesn't believe in society or the common good - a classic libertarian. That kind of thinking doesn't neatly fit into left/right, but does have more in common with the extreme right-wing.

growstuff Wed 16-Jun-21 19:48:03

I do think that the cultural wars which are being encouraged support contempt for any attempt to impose laws and "being woke",which is basically about respecting others, so I think there is a link. (IMO)

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 20:41:12

Galaxy

Indeed but whitewave mentioned that this was linked to those encouraging the cultural divide, I am not sure it's that simple, I think there is contempt for journalism from all sides.

There may be contempt for journalists, in fact they have never been high up on people’s favourite occupation, but it rarely amounts to the sort of behaviour we saw directed at Watts. I have no doubt that the sort of cultural war we are seeing aids and abets the sort of behaviour we are witnessing.

Encouraging division and identifying scapegoats leads to horrors like Joe Cox’s death.

Galaxy Wed 16-Jun-21 21:01:28

I agree and that includes calling the BBC the Brexit broadcasting company, sneering at the daily mail and laughing if an article comes from the guardian. It's all part of encouraging division.

coastalgran Thu 17-Jun-21 12:04:17

There are a lot of professionally organised gangs of so-called protestors whose aim it is to cause trouble and inflict pain and suffering on individuals or groups of people for the sheer thrill of it. Some of them even hold down responsible jobs it's a sort of alter-ego thing. It is more common at sporting events such as football matches. The problem for them now is CCTV and mobile phone camera footage which is much better than it used to be.

railman Thu 17-Jun-21 12:38:08

PippaZ

From twitter: I'm not sure about the reference to "bogus 'solidarity'"

I think James O'Brien may be referring to the "bogus solidarity" of the anti-lockdown, we won't be pushed around by laws and regulations brigade. They have been encouraged to spout their lies and deceit over the past 5 years, and division in society by the actions of establishment extremists.

The past 5 years has kickstarted the rise of more intolerance in society, and until this notion of "populism" and its perceived connection with "solidarity" with the views of all people is broken, it will only get worse.

railman Thu 17-Jun-21 12:44:11

Galaxy

Some of the most unpleasant mocking of the press I have seen is from the left. I say that as someone on the centre left.

Oh I don't know, I think the worst examples would include the likes of 'newspapers' whose front page displayed photos of a number of judges, and described them as "traitors".

Then as far back as 1989, we saw headlines in another pretend newspaper that suggested Liverpool fans were urinating on bodies on the pitch.

Such newspapers deserve and should continue to receive the contempt, mocking and 'unpleasantness' they have earned.

They were a disgrace to journalists everywhere that try to offer accurate and unbiased reportage.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:22:40

Some good posts railman

growstuff Thu 17-Jun-21 13:36:31

railman

PippaZ

From twitter: I'm not sure about the reference to "bogus 'solidarity'"

I think James O'Brien may be referring to the "bogus solidarity" of the anti-lockdown, we won't be pushed around by laws and regulations brigade. They have been encouraged to spout their lies and deceit over the past 5 years, and division in society by the actions of establishment extremists.

The past 5 years has kickstarted the rise of more intolerance in society, and until this notion of "populism" and its perceived connection with "solidarity" with the views of all people is broken, it will only get worse.

I agree with you railman. It seems to me that "populism" has very little to do with solidarity ie acting in a way which is for the common good. Populism seems to be a form of vigilantism. It's all about people out for themselves with those with the loudest voices winning. It's about getting a critical mass of people supporting (usually) single issues. It isn't concerned about society as a concept or about minorities who don't have loud voices.

Ironically, populism turns ideas about being represented on their head and tries to portray individuals as not being heard and being left behind. Hence, so many populists portray themselves as victims fighting for a so-called "just" cause. In reality, they couldn't care less about real minorities or social cohesion. They're only interested in themselves.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:38:09

Populism exists by dividing the population usually identifying an elite or scapegoat.

railman Thu 17-Jun-21 13:44:30

You're right growstuff - populism is vigilantism from single policy fantasy issues like Brexit, and a logical extension might well be economic vigilantism.

As a related issue, I watched an old 1945 film the other day called "The Agitator" - starring William Hartnell. I may be a conspiracy theorist, but the theme of the film in the end appeared to be that the working class hero (Hartnell) couldn't hope to master running a factory.

It's a long story, but I got the idea that it was issued around the time of the 1945 election, when the country was supposed to elect Winston Churchill. The film's message seemed to be suggesting 'Know your place'.

Ah well, you never know - maybe that famed "will of the people" will change eventually.

Galaxy Thu 17-Jun-21 13:48:55

Yes your contempt and disregard is the right kind. Of course.

Ilovecheese Thu 17-Jun-21 14:22:51

I wonder if these protesters included any of the statue protecting mob.

katy1950 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:24:53

Why do these anti vacc and anti lockdown and extinction rebellions all look like they need a good wash

Anniel Thu 17-Jun-21 14:32:26

I saw the video and never thought I would agree with the OP but I do, not only in this case, but in others too where the police took no action to prevent such out of hand thuggery. It happened at the BLM protest (when the police were outnumbered) and in Bristol when Colston’s statue was toppled. Incidentally, this was not by enraged descendants of slavery but by white thugs. I watched the TV programme about the Mayor’s dilemma over that case and he came across as a very thoughtful man trying to do the right thing. I warptchec it on All 4. I am all in favour of protest but it must be peaceful. In this case those attacking Nick Watts were thugs pure and simple. Whatever the rights and wrongs of your convictions it does your case no favours to behave in a very threatening manner. Surely we can all believe in that.