Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nick Watts

(54 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 11:23:14

The video showing him being pursued and harangued by a mob of anti- lockdown ears is an utter disgrace.

On line radicalisation is to blame, and what happens when critics are trashed, lies are believed and scapegoating is widespread.

This can’t continue.

Imo the police who watched it taking place need to rethink their strategy.

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 15:49:19

It's entirely possible that the 'White thugs' you deplore, Anniel, were descendants of slaves. I'm one myself but you would never know to look at me as I'm as 'white' as the next person.
Of course, disliking a slave trader is not the sole province of slave descendants either.
'White does not equal 'thug'.

PippaZ Thu 17-Jun-21 16:46:56

Thank you railman [Thu 17-Jun-21 12:38:08] et al. That certainly makes sense.

Many of these groups (at either extreme over time) do feel they are not listened to but don't seem to take that through to the fact that they are minorities. Occasionally we get a clever b...er who manages to pull enough small, disenchanted minorities together by telling them something that sounds like what they want to hear but means nothing - but the win makes them feel powerful and not a minority. We all know where that can lead - how many were watching the storming of the American Capitol with their heart in their mouth.

I wish I knew how we could change our voting system. I'm sure that if, rather than people thinking they had clumped together with the like-minded, and producing the subsequent surprises of the Russian Revolution, 1940s Germany, Trump and Brexit, each person's vote counted toward the number of representatives they have in parliament we would not end up in such extremes although the extremes would have a say relative to those who believe that it the way forward.

It is so sad to see our country in this state.

Anniel Fri 18-Jun-21 02:48:17

MaizieD I had no idea that there were white slaves. There are Australians descended from people who were deported for very minor crimes who served sentences in that country. Can you tell us what happened to your family member who was a slave. Was the person sent overseas or did they remain in England? I am genuinely interested.