Gransnet forums

News & politics

What does an increase of 0.01% of GDP get us?

(34 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 07:41:45

Being hailed as a new dawn by Johnson, it seems from the little that has been put into the public forum, Australia has gained far more than the U.K. from this deal.

It is centred almost entirely on goods with the intention of eliminating tariffs over the next 15 years.

It will save each U.K. consumer 52p per year.

Under 35s can extend their holiday visa without having to work in Australia.

Farms will be protected by a cap on tariff free imports for 15 years.

Nothing has been said about the importation of hormone fed beef or animal welfare.
More than 30 active substances are allowed for example on sugar cane that are illegal in the U.K. e.g. paraquat
Antibiotics are used as growth promoter. Banned in U.K. 16 times more in use for poultry and triple in pogs.

Tariffs on wine will be eliminated saving 7-8p a bottle .

No vote on deal by parliament. But deal will be scrutinised once done.
Democracy seems to have a different meaning in the U.K. to how it is generally understood.

For Australian farmers it is a big win.
For U.K. farmers it is a big lose. It is expected that many farmers will go to the wall.

All for the sake of adulterated meat.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 11:08:43

Casdon

There’s quite a demand for British goods in Australia to be fair, not least from the 1million+ Brits who have emigrated there.

Yes, there is.

Not every piece of beef on a supermarket shelf in Australia is adulterated - in fact most is not.
There is no reason to suppose that any that comes into the UK will be either.

I do wish people would stop scaremongering about Australian food.

If anyone eats tofu or drinks soy milk they would ingest more hormones than from eating hormone fed beef anyway.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 11:13:00

Kali2

I will admit I have not done the calculations myself- but it is claimed that you would need 40 OZ deals to cover the loss of EU market.

The whole thing is just madness.

Well, that's very good news in one way, then Kali2 - it means that there is absolutely no need for British farmers to be fearful of Australian imports because the impact will be minimal in comparison.

MaizieD Wed 16-Jun-21 11:18:09

If anyone eats tofu or drinks soy milk they would ingest more hormones than from eating hormone fed beef anyway.

Interesting.

Can you explain why, Callistemon?

Welshwife Wed 16-Jun-21 11:19:00

I think the point is that the British farmers and fishermen had a good European export market on the doorstep. It will be far more difficult to export the same quantity and the same products to OZ .

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 11:23:55

Welshwife

I think the point is that the British farmers and fishermen had a good European export market on the doorstep. It will be far more difficult to export the same quantity and the same products to OZ .

Not forgetting the increased emissions.

Bloody madness.

JaneJudge Wed 16-Jun-21 11:25:20

farmers in my true blue agricultural country have even taken to local facebook to air their fury shock

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Jun-21 12:15:50

The EU has said that the Australian deal has reinforced its intention over the NI protocol.

It does not want adulterated food entering the SM.

vegansrock Wed 16-Jun-21 12:26:56

This is a much better deal for Australia than it is for us. We are accepting lower standard- enjoy.
Australia allows battery hens, hormone injected beef, animals to be transported in intense heat for 48 hours with no water or food, mulesing, no cctv in abattoirs , ALL of which are illegal in the U.K. , but we don’t mind because we are so desperate for any trade deals with anyone we are prepared to throw our farmers under the Brexit bus.