Gransnet forums

News & politics

Putin meets Biden in Geneva

(55 Posts)
Sandycat Wed 16-Jun-21 14:43:47

I wonder how Biden will fare in the 5 hour talks with Putin. He normally has a hard time carrying a sentence so hope his aides are on the ball with his ear piece. No sign of Jill this time.

MaizieD Wed 16-Jun-21 22:55:26

Chewbacca

^Slighty less black too.^

shock Did you really mean to say that kali2? Really?

I thought she was putting the Republican's view of Biden...

Chewbacca Wed 16-Jun-21 23:05:44

Maybe so MaisieD but the post was certainly unclear and, put as baldly as it was, with no explanation, it's offensive.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 23:32:54

Kali2

Slighty less black too.

Possibly he has problems retaining a train of thought.
He didn't seem to have any problems today , Gagajo.
Stammerers may have to speak more slowly then sometimes certain phrases may come out in more of a rush.

Kali there have been many black Republican politicians over the years.
Trump was an anomaly and moderates such as Colin Powell could no longer feel part of the Republican party after what happened earlier this year.
Condoleezza Rice thought Trump should have withdrawn.

I thought she was putting the Republican's view of Biden...

How can Kali2 speak for Republicans in general?

They need to find their way back from the Trumpisation of the party and many want to do so.

Lauren59 Thu 17-Jun-21 00:31:42

I listened to Biden speak and answer questions after the meeting with Putin. He spoke intelligently and there should be no question about his mental capacity.

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 08:19:08

Chewbacca

Maybe so MaisieD but the post was certainly unclear and, put as baldly as it was, with no explanation, it's offensive.

I think she expected the intelligent reader to use their knowledge of the Trump years and work it out for themselves.

Clearly, spotting subtlety is not some people's strong point.

Chewbacca Thu 17-Jun-21 08:25:28

A patronising and unpleasant post as ever MaisieD. You never fail to disappoint.

Alegrias1 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:35:32

What, as bad as saying the President of the US is incapable? Or can't string a sentence together? Or is suffering from dementia?

Kali2's meaning was abundantly clear, not "offensive" hmm.

Chewbacca Thu 17-Jun-21 08:45:21

What, as bad as saying the President of the US is incapable? Or can't string a sentence together? Or is suffering from dementia?

Did I say that Alegrias? Where?

Kali2's meaning was abundantly clear, not "offensive"

Clearly not, otherwise I wouldn't have queried it. And is it really beyond the bounds of capability for both you and MaisieD to express yourselves in anything other than a sneery, patronising and unpleasant manner? hmm

Alegrias1 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:49:13

Is it beyond the bounds of capability for you to get MaizieDs name right?

(Now THAT'S patronising. Pointing out that a reader has missed the true meaning of a post isn't patronising)

Chewbacca Thu 17-Jun-21 08:50:34

Is it beyond the bounds of capability for you to get MaizieDs name right

grin

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 09:05:36

Alegrias1

Is it beyond the bounds of capability for you to get MaizieDs name right?

(Now THAT'S patronising. Pointing out that a reader has missed the true meaning of a post isn't patronising)

I've always assumed that spelling my name wrong was a bit of passive aggression ?

I prefer to go straight for the jugular

MawBe Thu 17-Jun-21 09:10:25

MaizieD

Chewbacca

I think she expected the intelligent reader to use their knowledge of the Trump years and work it out for themselves.

Clearly, spotting subtlety is not some people's strong point.

Yet again MaizieD how reassuring that Kali2 has you to explain one of her impenetrable posts.
Where would she be without you?

Alegrias1 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:16:39

Only impenetrable to some.....

Chewbacca Thu 17-Jun-21 09:39:22

I prefer to go straight for the jugular

Yes, it's been noticed! grin

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 09:53:47

Posters can have perfect mental capacity but it doesn't mean that they know exactly the workings of Kali2's mind.

henetha Thu 17-Jun-21 10:41:58

I disagree, Sandycat. I've watched and listened to President Biden very carefully and think he seems fine.

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 14:09:36

It's part of the fake news circulating on the dark web, henetha.

I'm surprised this thread is still here.

Sandycat Thu 17-Jun-21 15:17:22

So anyone who sees things differently from you all is just wrong and should be cancelled?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 15:20:16

Sandycat

So anyone who sees things differently from you all is just wrong and should be cancelled?

No not cancelled. That is the talk of the far right.

We are however quite entitled to disagree. You can chunter on all you like won’t make it different as we can see with our own eyes the truth.

Stormystar Thu 17-Jun-21 21:26:45

I’m of the same opinion as Sandycat, Sky News Australia - not under the thrall ofChina or the US are showing countless incidents in un -redacted clips of Biden acting in a very confused manner and speaking gobbledygook. Time will reveal all.

Casdon Thu 17-Jun-21 22:16:23

Stormystar . Sky News Australia is not an unbiased media source.
www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/24/sky-news-australia-is-tapping-into-the-global-conspiracy-set-and-its-paying-off

Stormystar Fri 18-Jun-21 07:14:50

Are any media sources unbiased. Sky News. Australia show another perspective revealing the many many incidences of Biden appearing cognitively confused. Simply take a look.

MawBe Fri 18-Jun-21 08:24:49

Agreeing to this summit was a mistake by the White House. It is hard to see what the conceivable benefit would have been for the United States. Putin is not a pragmatist like Mikhail Gorbachev, the Cold War leader who worked with Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher to bring an end to the Soviet Empire. He is a cold-blooded killer, schooled in the murderous and uncompromising mindset of the KGB, and should never have been granted a meeting with the US president while there are still Russian troops in Georgia and Ukraine.
In contrast, President Biden already looks out of his depth on the international stage, and both Moscow and Beijing have grown more assertive since he entered the Oval Office. Biden did not have a good G7 summit, and at times looked confused, struggling to make points coherently and mixing up countries such as Syria and Libya.
A principled and liberal man , Biden’s statesmanlike demeanour needs to include a core of steel and the determination to play hardball with leaders like Putin who will take any advantage of perceived weakness.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 08:44:50

MawBe

Agreeing to this summit was a mistake by the White House. It is hard to see what the conceivable benefit would have been for the United States. Putin is not a pragmatist like Mikhail Gorbachev, the Cold War leader who worked with Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher to bring an end to the Soviet Empire. He is a cold-blooded killer, schooled in the murderous and uncompromising mindset of the KGB, and should never have been granted a meeting with the US president while there are still Russian troops in Georgia and Ukraine.
In contrast, President Biden already looks out of his depth on the international stage, and both Moscow and Beijing have grown more assertive since he entered the Oval Office. Biden did not have a good G7 summit, and at times looked confused, struggling to make points coherently and mixing up countries such as Syria and Libya.
A principled and liberal man , Biden’s statesmanlike demeanour needs to include a core of steel and the determination to play hardball with leaders like Putin who will take any advantage of perceived weakness.

I couldn’t disagree more with your summary.

After Trump it was essential that the USA provided a strong balance to China and Russia, and is seen as the leader of the democratic world. China and Russia became more assertive since Trump took office, not Biden.

Anybody who follows world politics is more than aware of Putins character, and Biden has been following Russian politics far longer than most.

Biden does not become confused (how many times does this have to be repeated?) Biden stutters
This may result in him appearing hesitant or confused, but he isn’t.

Biden’s principles have remain true his entire life, and from which he has never wavered.
He is not a man of flamboyance or playing to the gallery but certainly has a quiet determination. Do not underestimate him.

henetha Fri 18-Jun-21 11:37:35

Thank you Callistemon. smile. I have vaguely heard of the dark web but know little about it. I imagine it's full of conspiracy theories and the like.
I don't know why people seem to want to undermine Biden when he seems like a breath of fresh air compared to Trump.
I have had an American pen pal for many years and she knows the Bidens personally and says that they are genuinely good people.