Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change is officially the cause of the worst heatwave ever recorded

(45 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 16:58:13

American weathermen have said that the devastating heatwave being experienced in Canada at the moment is directly caused by global warming.

There is no longer any doubt.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 19:12:29

It seems that Greta Thunberg was so right in her warnings, unfortunately even sooner than many imagined.

lemongrove Wed 30-Jun-21 19:15:19

I would say that climate experts were saying it before Greta T.

Witzend Wed 30-Jun-21 19:25:06

Yes, they were saying it well before Greta Thunberg was in nappies.

I heard on the World Service the other night that Australia won’t be stopping coal mining any time soon, since not only do they have a lot of climate-change sceptics, but also 90,000 jobs depend on it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 19:28:47

Of course there were but young Greta has captured the imagination of the young who are invested in the future unlike many of the Dinosaurs we hear so much from.

lemongrove Wed 30-Jun-21 19:36:53

Which dinosaurs would they be?

Greta T was basing her worries about the planet on well known scientific research, she may have captured the imagination of young people but let’s give credit where it’s due i.e. the right quarters.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 19:49:48

Just heard from my friend.

Window blinds have melted. Car windows exploded, front doors have shattered.

Animals are being constantly hosed down to try and bring down their core temperature and 200 folk in her area have died.

I do hope the climate crises talks are more effective than previously, but I fear they won’t.

SueDonim Wed 30-Jun-21 20:18:48

Whitewavemark2

Of course there were but young Greta has captured the imagination of the young who are invested in the future unlike many of the Dinosaurs we hear so much from.

That’s a great way to persuade people to change their POV - insult them. hmm

I’d say pretty much everyone I know is on board with concerns about the climate. The only deniers I’ve come across have been on TV.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:20:43

SueDonim

Whitewavemark2

That’s a great way to persuade people to change their POV - insult them. hmm

I’d say pretty much everyone I know is on board with concerns about the climate. The only deniers I’ve come across have been on TV.

Blimey! Who on earth do you think I was talking about?

You sound as if it’s personal.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:28:18

Perhaps if I give a start of a list your sensibility will be mollified.

So a random selection.

Trump
Melanie Philips
Sammy Wilson
David Bellamy
Nigel Lawson

I can go on but you get the drift?

varian Wed 30-Jun-21 21:18:34

49 degrees C in Vacouver!

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 21:28:28

There is no longer any doubt

There hasn't been any doubt for a very long time. The issue, IMO, isn't the deniers but the people who pay lip service to climate change but do nothing tangible about it. So that's pretty much every world leader in the last 25 years.

varian Wed 30-Jun-21 21:37:04

But is it not relevant that the climate change deniers also espouse other anti-scientific anti-evidence right wing causes, such as Nigel Lawson, the Brexit campaigner who lives in France and Donald Trump, who rejects the truth that Joe Biden beat him in the US Presidential election and his bonkers followers who believe his "Big Lie" and regard climate change as a conspiracy?

SueDonim Wed 30-Jun-21 21:43:29

I assumed you were referring to some Gransnetters, from the manner of your post.

As it happens, I’ve been concerned about our world for decades now, having joined campaigning and environmental groups from way back in the 80’s, when voices first began expressing worries.

As for your list, the only one I’ve heard speak of climate is Trump. One of the others I’ve never heard of, another I thought was dead and the others never cross my radar.

Ro60 Wed 30-Jun-21 21:45:45

Yet we're still driving the climate change - we may be aiming for cleaner energy but have so much manufactured in non compliant countries ie: India, China.

vegansrock Wed 30-Jun-21 21:47:06

Trouble is nothing is being done, instead we hurl insults at climate change activists whoever they may be, and our governments are only interested in short term popularity and to hell with long term consequences.

Ro60 Wed 30-Jun-21 21:48:09

And minerals to make our computers sourced from countries which are destroying rainforests.

25Avalon Wed 30-Jun-21 21:52:35

There is still doubt in my mind. They have had such extreme temperatures in the past. If there is another one next year I may be convinced.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Jun-21 21:53:57

Nigel Lawson was selling his French house to return to the UK in 2019…an aside.
I too don’t know of anyone who is a climate change denier, but neither are they ‘famous’ with massive influence.

varian Wed 30-Jun-21 22:00:02

Nigel Lawson's rejection of climate change found to be false.

www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/nigel-lawson-climate-change-sceptics-global-temperatures-fall-false-claim-warming-gwpf-bbc-radio-4-a7894686.html#:~:text=Global%20Warming%20Policy,Ian%20Johnston

varian Wed 30-Jun-21 22:01:45

Leave doesn’t mean leave as Nigel Lawson plans UK return after failing to gain French residency

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/nigel-lawson-to-quit-france-to-return-to-the-uk-41680

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:01:49

25Avalon

There is still doubt in my mind. They have had such extreme temperatures in the past. If there is another one next year I may be convinced.

There is no doubt in the mind of any serious scientist. Can't think of anything else to say, really, that's it.

25Avalon Wed 30-Jun-21 22:05:55

There are other scientists who disagree. I have an open mind.

varian Wed 30-Jun-21 22:09:16

How many scientists disagree? and how many agree that we have caused global warming, *25 Avalon"?

I think there are a small number of people who believe that the earth is flat.

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:10:13

25Avalon

There are other scientists who disagree. I have an open mind.

None that have any credibility.

Whether or not you think it's real, it's real.

This is not a matter of opinion. Hasn't been for a good 25 years.