Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change is officially the cause of the worst heatwave ever recorded

(46 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 16:58:13

American weathermen have said that the devastating heatwave being experienced in Canada at the moment is directly caused by global warming.

There is no longer any doubt.

25Avalon Wed 30-Jun-21 22:13:37

They are saying it could be, not that it is.

25Avalon Wed 30-Jun-21 22:16:07

I don’t agree that we have caused global warming. Climate change is something that has been happening probably since time began.

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:22:22

Nope.

Ascribing any individual event to climate change is not a valid thing to do.

Ascribing the trends in global temperatures and associated extreme events to climate change is beyond doubt.

Unless you've got a couple of decades experience in climatology 25Avalon, what you agree with doesn't really matter. This is man made climate change.

Gwyneth Thu 01-Jul-21 08:14:41

Yes Greta has done a lot to bring climate change to the forefront but so has Sir David Attenborough who has been warning of the devastation of climate change for years.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Jul-21 08:20:29

Gwyneth

Yes Greta has done a lot to bring climate change to the forefront but so has Sir David Attenborough who has been warning of the devastation of climate change for years.

Absolutely, we can’t have too many who remind us of the crises.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 08:45:43

Take a look at climatechange.procon.org It is by no means certain climate change is man made. Banning all CO2 could be compared to Canute trying to stop the sea.

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 09:14:47

I took a look at the procon site, I'd not seen it before so thank you for the link.

I see that a large proportion of the "cons" regarding anthropogenic climate change refer to research by an organisation called Heartland Institute, who refer to themselves as one of the world’s leading free-market think tanks. ... Its mission since its founding in 1984 is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems.

The Pro side is advocated by the US National Academy of Sciences, NASA, the IPCC and the United Nations.

The thing about science is that not all sides are created equal; some people have ulterior motives or don't really understand the science. So, which should we go with? 4 internationally-renowned scientific organisations, or a free market organisation that feels it necessary on their front page that they have been libelled by liberal advocacy groups, and who have organised "America First" Climate Change Conferences?

This is good: www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-myths-what-science-really-says/

It is certain beyond all reasonable doubt that current climate changes are man made. Its not the climate scientists who are trying to hold back a tide, its the deniers who will not accept the truth because they think it will cost money to fix it. Its going to cost a lot more money not to fix it.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 09:25:01

I don’t think we can fix it by reducing CO2 emissions. I think it is natural so like Canute and the sea. Are we really kidding ourselves?

What concerns me is we are ruining the planet by using up finite resources and often for what I regard as trivial things. Do we really need special fabric granules to make clothes smell nice, all sold in a plastic bottle? On a more serious note how many are going to give up flying on aeroplanes to go on holiday? The holiday and air industries certainly aren’t going to encourage it.

Caleo Thu 01-Jul-21 09:28:38

Only stupid people believe climate change is not happening. However it is a political advantage for the right wing to persuade people climate change is not urgent.

If their political supporters believe the situation is not urgent the very rich class will be able to continue to make money from fossil fuels and weapons of war, so they can afford air conditioning, leafy habitats, and to hell with the poor.

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 09:31:19

The only thing we can do is reduce carbon emissions. Take a look at point 2 in the cbs link.

I do agree very much with your second paragraph. The holiday and air industries are going to have to get real, I'm afraid. This is what I meant above by the people in power paying lip service but doing nothing about it. This isn't trivial. Its life or death.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Jul-21 09:44:24

Imagine a third world country suffering intense heat for such a long period. Their crops and animals will die leading to mass starvation.

Then there will mass migration as any rational being would do.

Then resistance and possibly violence etc etc. Doesn’t take much thought to understand the implication of it all.

nanna8 Thu 01-Jul-21 09:50:00

It is certainly shifting around as it has always done. How much is man made is a moot point but the conservative thing is to assume we do have some slight affect on it. It is actually getting colder here not warmer but we are not allowed to say so. The cooler countries certainly seem to be becoming warmer. There used to be a lot higher sea levels than we have now and perhaps this is shifting round again. Go to many Tasmanian beaches and look at the fossil shell level high up on the cliffs, it is quite obvious.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 09:51:01

Caleo I think you misunderstand. You say only stupid people believe climate change is not happening.” That’s a very silly statement. It’s not that climate change isn’t happening but whether it’s man made that is the question.

Alegrias does read up on the subject as do I and I hope we respect each other.

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 09:58:56

We do 25Avalon.

I'm hoping by reading scientific articles rather than economic and political ones, you'll come to the right conclusion wink

Caleo Thu 01-Jul-21 10:13:12

Alegrias, I accept your gloss on what I said. I should have said "man made climate change".

Caleo Thu 01-Jul-21 10:14:28

Sorry! I mean 25Avalon,

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 10:53:43

According to environmentalists who have produced a map a large proportion of Somerset will be underwater in the next 50 years. If their projections are correct in 70 years Hinckley Point will be 10ft underwater and not easily accessible. So why are we building a nuclear power station there? Why are the authorities permitting it? Because it brings loads of jobs? Not much use if it’s flooded and not good for those to the East to where the wind blows.

So what gets me is why has no one mentioned this?

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 11:02:23

25Avalon

According to environmentalists who have produced a map a large proportion of Somerset will be underwater in the next 50 years. If their projections are correct in 70 years Hinckley Point will be 10ft underwater and not easily accessible. So why are we building a nuclear power station there? Why are the authorities permitting it? Because it brings loads of jobs? Not much use if it’s flooded and not good for those to the East to where the wind blows.

So what gets me is why has no one mentioned this?

What I said last night: The issue, IMO, isn't the deniers but the people who pay lip service to climate change but do nothing tangible about it. So that's pretty much every world leader in the last 25 years.

Vegansrock last night: Trouble is nothing is being done, instead we hurl insults at climate change activists whoever they may be, and our governments are only interested in short term popularity and to hell with long term consequences.

IMO, nuclear power stations are an abomination anyway.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 11:28:33

Alegrias quite agree nuclear power stations are an abomination.

Making us cut back on carbon is easy. If we really take the planet seriously we need to cut back on air flight, pollution, plastics, chemicals particularly pesticides etc. I don’t see very much being done about this. Big business is the problem. Do we need all the different products being manufactured? Money rules.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 11:31:38

Native Americans set a good example. Nothing was wasted. They lived a sustainable way of life, and cared for the earth which they knew they did not own but looked after for future generations.