Gransnet forums

News & politics

PMQT Today….

(62 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 07-Jul-21 13:05:10

Does anyone know the names of the two MP’s that Johnson accused of lying today? I know the first was Labour: not sure about the second. I’d like to contact them.

MaizieD Thu 08-Jul-21 08:53:30

MayBee70

Something just occurred to me. If the leader of the opposition can’t say that Johnson is lying about something why was Johnson allowed to say that Bell’s question was a lie ( or whatever term he used to imply that what she’d said was untrue).

I don't think you're allowed to use the actual word 'liar'. You can imply it in many different ways (thus Bryant asking about 'correcting the record') but not say 'lie' or 'liar'.

Bonkers, isn't it?

spabbygirl Thu 08-Jul-21 10:48:44

Denis Skinner used the word liar if you remember, it still makes me laugh even though I've heard it so often, Denis said, 'half of the MPs on the other side of the house are liars,' he was told off and asked to retract, 'ok then, half of the MPs on the other side are not liars!' Seriously though Johnson infuriates me not only for his policies and lies but just the sheer tedium of his replies, someone here said its always 'blah, blah, blah, vaccine,' and thats exactly right. He should really be pulled up from his ad on the side of the bus when he grumbles about NHS costs

Cossy Thu 08-Jul-21 11:00:35

As far as I’m concerned this PM of ours seems to have no professional or personal moral standing and almost everything he says is lies, waffle, piffle, waffle, piffle, lies !!!!

Cossy Thu 08-Jul-21 11:09:16

My MP is a Tory in a VERY VERY safe seat and I write regularly mainly to annoy him and sometimes receive a standard blah blah response, often he just ignores me ! The man is A.Mess hahaha

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 11:29:44

Cossy

My MP is a Tory in a VERY VERY safe seat and I write regularly mainly to annoy him and sometimes receive a standard blah blah response, often he just ignores me ! The man is A.Mess hahaha

Same here! Not only that, but she doesn't even do constituency work. She's only bothered by the pay cheque every month.

JaneJudge Thu 08-Jul-21 11:30:39

growstuff

Cossy

Same here! Not only that, but she doesn't even do constituency work. She's only bothered by the pay cheque every month.

So is mine and she doesn't even live here confused

Cossy Thu 08-Jul-21 11:33:51

growstuff

Cossy
Same here! Not only that, but she doesn't even do constituency work. She's only bothered by the pay cheque every month

Growstuff

I often think they completely (choose to) forget that they are public servants, paid for by us to serve us !! Not feather their own nests and a huge part their job is constituency work . Most of these “safe” seated MPs are complacent and lazy !

Purplecatlover1 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:35:51

JaneJudge

growstuff

Cossy

And mine! He also thinks most of his constituents live in crack dens and brothels but still he gets the votes!

Pippa22 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:51:17

I like PMQ but get so annoyed with Keir Starmer as he just asks the same thing over and over again. I know it is because he doesn’t get a direct answer from Boris but I think KS is often just petty and irritating.
There is so much he could be criticised when he ran the CPS, he did despicable things.

Casdon Thu 08-Jul-21 11:54:46

Perceptions are so different aren’t they! I love watching Keir Starmer on Question Time, because he exposes Boris so effectively, he leaves him like a goldfish with his mouth open - which is absolutely the role of the leader of the opposition, to call the Government of the day to account. It’s often uncomfortable viewing but that is exactly as it should be.

JaneJudge Thu 08-Jul-21 12:14:01

I agree Casdon. I like Ian Blackford too

MaizieD Thu 08-Jul-21 12:16:16

Pippa22

I like PMQ but get so annoyed with Keir Starmer as he just asks the same thing over and over again. I know it is because he doesn’t get a direct answer from Boris but I think KS is often just petty and irritating.
There is so much he could be criticised when he ran the CPS, he did despicable things.

Oh dear. Are we going to get Jimmy Saville and the Asian grooming gangs again?

Did you know that is absolutely not true?

Of course Starmer asks the same thing over and over again. He wants an answer. Have you ever heard Johnson give an answer that is in any way relevant to the question being asked?

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:17:01

Pippa22

Despicable? Such as?

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:19:24

Purplecatlover1

JaneJudge

growstuff

Cossy

And mine! He also thinks most of his constituents live in crack dens and brothels but still he gets the votes!

So why oh why do people vote for them?

I sometimes think I chose the wrong career. Just be a bit smarmy to a selection panel and say the right (wrong) things at a couple of dinners and you're in ... and have job for life.

MaizieD Thu 08-Jul-21 12:20:27

Dinahmo

JaneJudge

is this it Dinahmo?

Your link led me to the interview on GMB but I still have found Stevanovic's video. But thank you.

It's more difficult to find now because of all the GMB clips, but if you 'do' twitter, Dinamoh, here it is:

twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1410709231209271297

chattykathy Thu 08-Jul-21 13:12:08

youtu.be/KmGDWnbbcBQ
Here's the YouTube version

Bennydian Thu 08-Jul-21 14:23:21

twitter.com/i/status/1410709231209271297

PippaZ Thu 08-Jul-21 14:24:24

I found it hard to find any obvious facts coming from the PM; he just continued to ask KS what he would have done. I am sure KS would be willing to take over and show him. It was also the case that Jonathon Ashworth (Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care) did, at the appropriate time, outline Labour's plan - there is another option available.

I do feel we should be more aware of what the Conservatives are calling the Electoral Integrity Bill. Ian Blackford's questioning was good on what many see as the Electoral "Suppression" Bill designed to stop people - generally the poorest - from voting. Interestingly Johnson seems to have moved from saying it will stop voter fraud - he now seems to accept there is so little of it this will have no effect - but that it will tackle the "suspicion of fraud". Now I wonder where people got the idea they should be suspicious from?

MayBee70 Thu 08-Jul-21 14:37:32

When Johnson was asked by that committee later in the day about reducing universal credit which would throw more people into property, he said the answer was to get more people back working and also said something about getting them into better jobs. Not understanding that some people have struggled academically at school and wouldn’t be able to do such work. He has no comprehension of the real world. It reminds me of his assumption that teaching Latin in schools would benefit the population as a whole.

JaneJudge Thu 08-Jul-21 15:16:17

throw people into poverty

The real problems are that those that have money are making money out of those that don't mainly through property and some of these landlords are getting money for their property directly from the benefits system. Why would they want to build social housing, affordable housing, tax those with BTL when they benefit directly from it. People like Rishi

PippaZ Thu 08-Jul-21 15:28:31

It has always been the case that you can make more money out of money than you can make out of working JaneJudge. It's bad and getting worse. I wish someone could tell me another way, rather than taxing all income, from investments or working, at exactly the same rates with no tax avoidance offered, that would change this.

Dinahmo Thu 08-Jul-21 16:02:26

PippaZ Perhaps we ought to bring back an investment income surcharge. I quite like that idea.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Jul-21 16:11:30

JaneJudge

Tim Loughton MP
Conservative, East Worthing and Shoreham
Human rights in Tibet, diplomatic boycott of Beijing Olympics
PM says we have led the world in sanctions, instinctively again sporting boycotts

I met Loughton in the HoC. Not the most well mannered person in the world. Both my sister and I were very underwhelmed.

4allweknow Thu 08-Jul-21 16:49:51

MayBee if the MP mentioned by JaneJudge represents Cowdenbeath it will be Kirkcaldy not Kilkardy. I appreciate a minor matter

MayBee70 Thu 08-Jul-21 16:52:48

4allweknow

MayBee if the MP mentioned by JaneJudge represents Cowdenbeath it will be Kirkcaldy not Kilkardy. I appreciate a minor matter

Thanks. I’ve emailed Bell and make just concentrate on his comments about her.