Gransnet forums

News & politics

Good Friday Agreement

(3 Posts)
GillT57 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:40:26

the country was lied to and many chose to believe what they were told is the simple, but true answer. As I understand it; one of the principles of the GFA was free movement over borders on the Island of Ireland, thus satisfying separatists who wanted a United Ireland, and satisfying Loyalists who wanted to be considered part of the UK. The problem is now that Eire is in EU, Northern Ireland is out with the rest and will not accept anything which means they are in any way different from mainland UK ie sea borders, land borders. I think I have got the gist but I know there are people on Gn who are more knowledgeable than I am about this gordian knot of politics. Those who raised concerns, such as people who actually sat down with terrorists and murderers on both sides of the divide, warned about the difficulties, but of course, we all know what the Brexiteers think about experts. Like most things this bloody government handles, it is an absolute disaster of ignorance and mismanagement. Even Lord Brexit who is in charge of it all was looking rather panicked last night on the news.

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Jul-21 16:39:03

I read that if we keep to EU standards regarding food quality they will agree to the transport of foods from the mainland. It's about preserving the quality of imports.

Of course we don't want to do that as we obviously want to lower standards to get "deals".

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:28:36

Can someone explain to me why the Good Friday Agreement seems to be a stumbling block regarding brexit which I thought was oven ready and all sorts of things. And what can be done to resolve it.