Gransnet forums

News & politics

Decent MPs - who do you rate?

(124 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 22-Jul-21 18:14:55

Hi everyone
Just listening to my MP Margaret Beckett speaking on LBC.
I’ve got so much respect for her.
Who do you have time for?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Jul-21 12:33:24

Wes Streeting is now cancer free and back working. Pleased to hear that.

annifrance Tue 27-Jul-21 12:00:32

just caught up! Fast becoming the only votable party. Current lot are a complete shower and losing the country's moral compass. I will probably vote Labour if I get my vote back for the next election. Never thought I would say that.

The MP I would rate is the late Geoffrey Johnson Smith, a Conservative, again never voted for them. I had to approach him regarding my son's education and my home help's housing problems. He acted swiftly and the situations were resolved within two weeks. Both cases were very serious, my home help was about to be made homeless and no-one was doing anything about it. She was rehomed a long way from me so I lost a very good cleaner! But was very pleased for her.

My son needed Special Education and despite being statemented the Education department was doing sweet FA. Geoffrey got him into the school I wanted within two weeks.

He never once asked me about my political affiliations. I wish there were more like him of whatever party.

Florida12 Sun 25-Jul-21 21:19:12

MP for my area Graham Brady

varian Sun 25-Jul-21 18:14:04

Here are some decent MPs.

www.libdems.org.uk/mps

Pedwards Sun 25-Jul-21 16:24:45

Whenever I hear the word Caerphilly, I want some cheese! ?

Bossyrossy Sun 25-Jul-21 14:36:35

Caroline Lucas, Keir Starmer, Rory Stewart - Green, Labour, Tory. Wish I could think of a Liberal but I don't know any of their names,

Blinko Sun 25-Jul-21 14:32:40

varian

It was Jeremy Vine who told the after dinner speeches story.

reaction.life/jeremy-vine-my-boris-story/

shock why am I shocked???

Blinko Sun 25-Jul-21 14:23:33

varian

The "rules" are long out of date. We need new rules which allow an MP to tell the truth and punish MPs who lie blatantly and persistantly to parliament and to the people.

Agree. The whole system was designed to suit the convenience of men of a certain class with the money to stand for election, who lost no time in using the system to further their own ends.

To my mind, the whole shebang needs overhauling and bringing up to date; that includes Parliamentary procedure, the rules, the fraught question of MPs' expenses, FPTP and the existence of a second House.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Jul-21 14:08:02

Thanks varian.

varian Sun 25-Jul-21 13:44:40

It was Jeremy Vine who told the after dinner speeches story.

reaction.life/jeremy-vine-my-boris-story/

MayBee70 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:29:43

Nothing about Johnson is genuine. Even his name isn’t his real first name. He just uses it because it suits his invented persona.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:38:37

It’s sad to see that some are still falling for Johnson’s tired old schtick.
I’m currently reading Peter Oborne’s ‘The Assault of Truth’.
It’s brilliant.
Johnson is a liar and a fraud in every respect

MayBee70 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:31:46

Saetana

MoorlandMooner I think Boris is very charismatic, is not afraid to look silly (remember the zipwire?) and I like the fact he speaks fairly casually instead of in endless soundbites and prepared speeches. As I said though, I don't think he is right for PM or leader of the Conservative Party - but I cannot argue with his success. The dude is teflon - nothing seems to stick to him, as I am sure Keir Starmer is well aware of in PMQs. His popularity seems to remain fairly high, regardless of his latest gaffe.

Can somebody dig out a link to that article by, I think, Matthew Paris that describes Johnson doing an unscripted speech at a dinner party (or something like that) and then doing the very same ‘unscripted’ speech at another one.The writer attended both and it made him realise Johnson’s way of speaking was carefully crafted.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 08:29:33

Fastidious?

Let’s assume that it’s ‘Labour; a party that is fast becoming…’

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 25-Jul-21 07:54:35

Fascinating
Fast…

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Jul-21 22:00:35

fas?

annifrance Sat 24-Jul-21 21:40:38

Looking through the list of MPs that GNs have heralded, the majority seem to Labour, a party that is fas

MoorlandMooner Sat 24-Jul-21 21:31:17

Saetana. Thanks for your answer. I think you must be a better person than me to see beyond his failings and still find the man personally likeable.

varian Sat 24-Jul-21 19:50:20

Johnson owes a great deal of his popularity to the right wing press and their billionaire tax dodging owners. They influence more than 80% of newspaper readers in the UK.

Saetana Sat 24-Jul-21 19:37:33

MoorlandMooner I think Boris is very charismatic, is not afraid to look silly (remember the zipwire?) and I like the fact he speaks fairly casually instead of in endless soundbites and prepared speeches. As I said though, I don't think he is right for PM or leader of the Conservative Party - but I cannot argue with his success. The dude is teflon - nothing seems to stick to him, as I am sure Keir Starmer is well aware of in PMQs. His popularity seems to remain fairly high, regardless of his latest gaffe.

varian Sat 24-Jul-21 19:23:32

The "rules" are long out of date. We need new rules which allow an MP to tell the truth and punish MPs who lie blatantly and persistantly to parliament and to the people.

winterwhite Sat 24-Jul-21 17:49:04

To clarify my earlier post at 11.07, I meant that DB would have lost ground badly if she had apologised for the liar comment or withdrawn it.
She is essentially right of course, but that isn't what this thread is about. I think a good MP (wh is what we were talking about) should play by the rules.

Polarbear2 Sat 24-Jul-21 16:01:00

Alegrias1

I'm quote surprised that anyone thinks Dawn Butler couldn't retract and it was a mistake or an outburst to call him a liar. She broke the rules to draw attention to something we all know already and to try to stop people brushing it under the carpet. Being polite wouldn't have achieved the same aim at all.

She was only made to leave for the rest of the day, she hasn't been stripped of her right to return.

Anyway - the main topic of the thread. Alyn Smith has his faults but he's a very committed MP.

‘Gesture politics’ at its finest?? ?

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Jul-21 12:46:30

quite surprised!!

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Jul-21 12:42:12

I'm quote surprised that anyone thinks Dawn Butler couldn't retract and it was a mistake or an outburst to call him a liar. She broke the rules to draw attention to something we all know already and to try to stop people brushing it under the carpet. Being polite wouldn't have achieved the same aim at all.

She was only made to leave for the rest of the day, she hasn't been stripped of her right to return.

Anyway - the main topic of the thread. Alyn Smith has his faults but he's a very committed MP.