Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory government wants to make exposure of their corruption illegal

(42 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 22-Jul-21 21:30:43

This government is becoming more like a dictatorship everyday. Truth is not allowed now, if it exposes the government's corruption.

So journalists can be imprisoned for writing the truth about a corrupt government.

MPs are thrown out of Parliament for speaking the truth (Dawn Butler thrown out for pointing out Boris has lied repeatedly).

Kali2 Fri 23-Jul-21 20:22:05

Dinahmo

Kali2 I think that Dawn Butler is the first to actually use the word liar. I've heard Ian Blackford a few times but he uses other words. It would be a good idea if one MP from the other parties referred to Johnson as a liar each day and gets thrown out.

No doubt they would be attacked by some people. It's funny how the messenger is attacked, rather than the message.

Yes, he was very careful how he used his words, every time- but he has called Johnson on his lies again and again. He got around to not using the word by saying Parliament rules would not allow him to tell the House Johnson is a liar- so he said..

...'so may I ask a question. Are you a liar, Prime Minister?'

Grany Fri 23-Jul-21 20:28:05

Hardeep Matharu argues that Labour MP Dawn Butler’s removal from the House of Commons after calling Boris Johnson a ‘liar’ finally exposed the structural failings at the heart of the British state

bylinetimes.com/2021/07/23/good-chaps-left-the-building-a-while-ago-britain-its-time-to-wake-up/?fbclid=IwAR2Fkfa3bMqBDmsQ0nDIAY9FJhLSXe9WFVWPu_2-_Kg3Cc26gtjKXD5SgF4

varian Sun 25-Jul-21 13:35:29

Today is the first day of Parliament’s summer recess, but the next few weeks will be vital in our fight to defend our democracy.
These might all sound fairly innocent -
•Elections Bill
•Judicial Review and Courts Bill
•Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Bill
•Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill
But when you join the dots, a clear picture emerges.
Put together, they make up a huge power grab by the Government and a concerted attempt to stop anyone from holding them to account.

unlockdemocracy.org.uk/

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 09:49:27

Stuff like this?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 11:08:50

The Tories have received £280000 from Russian Donors!

MaizieD Sat 31-Jul-21 12:22:01

What is surprising me about this tory donors 'thing' is that people are so surprised by it.

I remember searching the Conservative website some time around 2017 and there it was, details of the Conservative Donor's Club. It gave details of different levels of donations and what each level 'bought' the donor in terms of access to members of the government, Top donations bought you, at least, seats next to the PM or Chancellor at special dinners.. IIRC

I even posted on here about it being openly corrupt (but I'd never find the post again sad )

Needless to say, that page has disappeared from the tory website...

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:23:56

Fancy paying to sit next to Johnson?.

Most would pay not to sit next to any of them I would have thought

trisher Sat 31-Jul-21 12:26:53

Didn't someone pay an awful lot to play tennis with him?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:36:54

Yes a Russian.

The Tories are very friendly with the Russians

Dinahmo Sat 31-Jul-21 12:37:32

According to 38 Degrees Johnson is arguing with Patel over her plans to change the Official Secrets Act as he thinks it important that journalists are able to report on issues which are in the public interest.

For the first time I can applaud Johnson for saying the right thing. Whether he can prevent the increase the prison term from 2 years to 14 years is another matter.

varian Sat 31-Jul-21 19:32:26

trisher

Didn't someone pay an awful lot to play tennis with him?

If I remember rightly the Russian lady who paid a lot to plat tennis with Johnson never actually got to play tennis with him. I wonder whether she got some other type of favour?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 20:16:09

Oh god don’t tell me tell me that there is a Russian baby! ?. He seems entirely incontinent.

trisher Sun 01-Aug-21 17:51:01

Oh no a real Boris for Boris!!!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 20:36:05

trisher

Oh no a real Boris for Boris!!!

??

Grany Sun 01-Aug-21 21:37:45

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=418212759661229&id=100044175262126

The Corporate Media

Owen Jones.

Alternative news outlets holding power to account.

Grany Sun 01-Aug-21 23:36:56

Gary Neville a former supporter of Jeremy Corbyn says we need a quiet revolution. Wow

He's been in talks with Kier Starmer well that's the end of that then.