Gransnet forums

News & politics

So how do we feel about Sajid Javid telling us not to ‘cower’ from Covid

(218 Posts)
Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:28:59

twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=21

Must be a huge kick in the guts to anyone who has lost someone to covid.

I was pretty purple with rage tbh. Eldest son has not been able to be vaccinated but has severe learning disabilities so is at much higher risk from Covid. He has never cowered from anything in his life - but some caution might be sensible.

Not sure what will happen if their gamble on not creating a vaccine resistant strain while massively introducing transmission doesn’t come off.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:17:55

Here Here Lemongrove there are some folks both on here and in real life who actively look for reasons to be offended , especially if it can be pinned on a Conservative!!!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 11:26:20

People can only use their “common sense” so far. For example they cannot choose whether their workplace environment, or public buildings, shops and restaurants they use are adequately ventilated, because there is. no requirement for this.

JenniferEccles Sun 25-Jul-21 11:27:53

Oh yes the perpetually offended!
They appear to spend their lives hunting for something and then triumphantly turn to social media to share their outrage!

It was just a comment, a throwaway remark.

Absolutely no need to read too much into it.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 11:28:14

I think the traditional Conservative Party has been brought into disrepute by our present government GG.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:28:58

Lemongrove - my son who is in a group with eight times the death rate doesn’t have any choice to be ‘cautious’. He just has to risk it.

I would expect the health secretary to have some insight into people in his position. It is his job.

Not offended - just furious at lack of understanding of the position this government had put people in through their repeated mishandling of the pandemic.

Let’s just hope their gamble re vaccine resistant strains pays off - otherwise plague island is going to be even less popular worldwide (if that is possible).

jaylucy Sun 25-Jul-21 11:32:16

Not the best choice of words, to put it mildly!
Really makes the fact that many peoples mental health has been badly affected seem like he believes the old adage of "pull yourself together" applies.
Why should we have expected anything less from this government?
From BJ's treating the whole thing as if it was a jolly rugger game, with his rather pathetic jokey comments from the start, rather than actually making an impression on how devastating it was likely to be, to several (and no doubt more) members of the cabinet, not forgetting the hanger-on, deciding that they didn't have to stick to the rules, this last comment must really make people feel even worse than they already do!

jaylucy Sun 25-Jul-21 11:32:16

Not the best choice of words, to put it mildly!
Really makes the fact that many peoples mental health has been badly affected seem like he believes the old adage of "pull yourself together" applies.
Why should we have expected anything less from this government?
From BJ's treating the whole thing as if it was a jolly rugger game, with his rather pathetic jokey comments from the start, rather than actually making an impression on how devastating it was likely to be, to several (and no doubt more) members of the cabinet, not forgetting the hanger-on, deciding that they didn't have to stick to the rules, this last comment must really make people feel even worse than they already do!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:36:45

here here should have been hear hear flipping predictive text ?

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:37:03

It gives insight into the way no 10 is thinking. People at risk are expendable.

And before anyone accuses me of cowering I have requested to spend September to December on hospital wards.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 11:37:23

Rather late he has apologised!!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 11:39:27

Similar to the PMs non isolation gaffe.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:43:35

Yeah he apologised once it was picked up by ITV etc. It’s provided an insight into the policy though. They really do want everyone to get it now.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 11:44:15

Has anyone on the thread said that they were 'offended' by the word?

People have said that the attitude behind it is insensitive (and clearly Javid either agrees or is insincere in his apology), but I don't think anyone has taken offence.

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 11:46:22

Nezumi65

Lemongrove - my son who is in a group with eight times the death rate doesn’t have any choice to be ‘cautious’. He just has to risk it.

I would expect the health secretary to have some insight into people in his position. It is his job.

Not offended - just furious at lack of understanding of the position this government had put people in through their repeated mishandling of the pandemic.

Let’s just hope their gamble re vaccine resistant strains pays off - otherwise plague island is going to be even less popular worldwide (if that is possible).

My DGS too, come to that and yes, life is unfair for some.They will have to do all they can to stay safe...that’s a given.
We have to remember that millions are not the same though and must start to live life as normally as they can.
If javid had sent your DS a personal message saying that he shouldn't cower from Covid then that would be quite different.

Parsley3 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:47:02

Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living. The unexamined government is not worth having. I am not offended by the cowering remark, I am angry and reserve the right to be. A ‘nothing to see here, folks,’ attitude is quite dangerous and I would be alarmed if such posts were in the majority on this thread.

JaneJudge Sun 25-Jul-21 11:47:34

People seem rather offended that people might be offended grin and we can't be having that!

GagaJo Sun 25-Jul-21 11:48:27

JenniferEccles

Oh yes the perpetually offended!
They appear to spend their lives hunting for something and then triumphantly turn to social media to share their outrage!

It was just a comment, a throwaway remark.

Absolutely no need to read too much into it.

So we're in agreement. Ignore the health secretary.

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 11:48:29

Greeneyedgirl

Rather late he has apologised!!

Oh yes, they all have to constantly ‘apologise’ now for just about everything ....it’s meaningless and done to pacify.
I wish they would have more backbone at times.

MaizieD Sun 25-Jul-21 11:50:44

I'm not even sure that much offence has been expressed. I've seen a lot of anger, too.

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 11:59:46

JaneJudge

People seem rather offended that people might be offended grin and we can't be having that!

Perplexed is the word.
Not about just this particular subject ( the word cower) but anyone who reads any social media site threads will notice all the perpetually offended/ angry posts about any subject at all.
Nobody takes a step back to really examine things ( talking of the unexamined life)... but dives in boots first.
Javid was saying that we as a nation ( not you Mrs Bloggs of
10 Coronation St Harrogate) shouldn't cower from life.
The vaccinations have made a huge difference to hospitalisations and deaths, and yes you can still catch Covid,
Which is where taking personal responsibility helps, we are all different and have different approaches to life.
We can’t all stay in our houses forever, nor should we, as a nation.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:59:56

Lemongrove there are millions of people of all ages who are at higher risk of Covid. Many do not have the choice to protect themselves. My son doesn’t - he needs 24 hour 2:1 care and cannot be vaccinated. There are many others in similar situations to him. Some are at higher risk due to their job, some due to their health. Others are fearful of bringing it home & killing a more vulnerable member of their family.

This government has made a choice to increase the risk to these people (& incidentally the rest of us by increasing the risk of vaccine resistant strains). They are putting businesses under increased pressure by the sheer number of people who are off work. They have made a choice to infect as many people as possible before the autumn.

IMO this is not offensive. It is morally bankrupt. It is ‘I’m alright jack-ism’ at its worse. It’s also reckless for everyone, but I find that less morally problematic than not giving a stuff about the millions this puts at risk.

There was a middle road available between the two extremes of full lockdown and full opening up.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 12:00:39

Lemongrove do you understand why increasing transmission increases the risk of new variants?

MawBe Sun 25-Jul-21 12:06:39

As our friends across the Pond might say, “He miss-spoke” and I believe he has now retracted the comment.
Honestly, surely people in the public eye are aware that they have to engage their brain before their mouth?

But, without wishing to introduce “thread about a thread” - the last thread I ave just read did suggest exactly this attitude of “cowering” instead of facing up to a danger and taking sensible precautions.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jul-21 12:08:49

Nezumi65

Lemongrove do you understand why increasing transmission increases the risk of new variants?

Are you aware that the number of positive tests has fallen over the last four days, yesterday’s numbers were 20,000 less than last Saturdays.

If this continues it can only be a good thing for all, as less chance of a U.K. variant.

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 12:09:58

Nezumi
I won’t get into mixing it with you, suffice to say I don’t think using a word ( cower ) warrants the outrage on the thread ( or in RL)
There is a line to walk between protecting people and worrying about the economy, and that’s what government has to do.
I understand your personal anxieties of course.