Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris .. having a named Police Officer for crime

(77 Posts)
Bea65 Tue 27-Jul-21 12:17:08

Not sure what Police Federation will make of Boris suggestion..

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Jul-21 14:38:04

We haven’t had a named officer in my area for over 15 years.

A good idea to reinstate this countrywide.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 15:23:09

Well I find that odd GrannyGravy.
Have you checked?
I've picked some random places and they all have them. You just scroll down to "your team"..
I checked six, here are 3 of them they all have exactly the same basic format.
Where are you?

www.gmp.police.uk/a/your-area/greater-manchester/bolton/bolton-town-centre/

www.leics.police.uk/a/your-area/leicestershire/charnwood/charnwood-east/

www.essex.police.uk/a/your-area/essex/southend-on-sea/southend-central/

Elleee Tue 27-Jul-21 15:23:33

Every crime recorded has an Officer in the Case. It always has done, so no, this isn't a new initiative, just more headline grabbing fake news
The lack of Community Officers was caused by the loss of 20,000 police officers due to budget cuts
I worked for the Police for over thirty years

growstuff Tue 27-Jul-21 16:07:19

NotSpaghetti Essex Police has them for all its areas.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 16:11:53

Yes. I wasn't disputing it growstuff
As far as I know, everywhere does.
I just looked at some places "randomly" A village in Leicestershire, a village in Cumbria, town in Essex, a town in Greater Manchester, my own town and where I once lived.

I just posted 3 as they all seem to have the same format.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Jul-21 16:23:46

I have just had a very quick look on the Essex Police site, put in named police officer for my area no results came up.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 16:35:07

GillT57

Lemon there are already 'named officers' as you describe, not just for victims of crime. The ex police officer on BBC news this morning explained that. Has been on place since 2013 I think, but I will check. Nobody is arguing about what has been proposed, so no need to keep defending your beloved Boris! The thing is that it is yet another ill thought out sound bite to appeal to the tabloid readers without being clear that this is already in place, and without either consulting Police Chiefs as to how they will be able to implement this while numbers of officers are very low. But this will likely be like the pay rises for nurses announcement; a load of hot air, triumph and applause from some of the public and desperation from the people left to do the grown up work of making the latest hair brained scheme work on reduced funding.

do you have to be sarky in every answer to me Gill ...there really is no need you know.
my DSIL is pleased about this and hopes to be part of it.
there hasn't been a countrywide effort like this before, and as I said in an earlier post Andy Burnham is very glad that Manchester is doing it.
extra police officers have already been recruited and although more are needed hopefully there will be.
interest in joining the police force and the NHS has soared since the pandemic.

May7 Tue 27-Jul-21 16:44:28

Will this named officer be a bit like Dixon of Dock Green then ? .....just saying

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 16:44:31

If you are Essex Granny Gravy
try this:
1. Google "Essex police" and click onto the homepage.
2. Then a box will open to "find your area" - type in your area.
3. A new page opens with an overview ... scroll down beyond the charts etc and there's a section about your community team.
It says "About us", "Meeting and Events", "Nearest Station" and "Your Team". This last one gives you the names and roles of all staff in your patch.

I looked up Southend as I'm not very good at places in Essex.
Obviously a lot of named people in that particular team.

Some other places I looked up have small teams.
I found two PCSOs, two Constables, an Inspector, and a Sergeant in a place I used to live for example.

Hope that works!

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 16:46:48

By the way... regarding Andy Burnham... Greater Manchester already have named officers.

Maybe he wants to divide up the central team a bit?
Maybe he just didn't look?

growstuff Tue 27-Jul-21 16:50:43

NotSpaghetti

Yes. I wasn't disputing it growstuff
As far as I know, everywhere does.
I just looked at some places "randomly" A village in Leicestershire, a village in Cumbria, town in Essex, a town in Greater Manchester, my own town and where I once lived.

I just posted 3 as they all seem to have the same format.

I didn't think you were. I was confirming what you had written. I looked up my own district and could put faces to at least two of the names.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 16:55:27

Oh, apologies growstuff.
I too know one officer in my area.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 17:00:16

Manchester got them a few months ago, and Burnham is full of praise for them.They didn't have them before.
so a good idea for everywhere to have them.

trisher Tue 27-Jul-21 17:01:03

When I was teaching we had a Community officer who came into the school regularly, and my mum's sheltered housing used to get one who came to their coffee mornings. I think they had names. This is just another Tory scam. Cut the funding for something and then bring it back, pretending it's all your own work.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 17:03:43

May7

Will this named officer be a bit like Dixon of Dock Green then ? .....just saying

grin
in a way, I suppose as somebody that you can get to know and who has knowledge, of you, the crime and your area.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 17:07:53

trisher it's really not like community work, giving talks on crime and how to help yourself etc. to schools and care homes.
nor is it a Tory scam.
look at Manchester and what Burnham says about it.
politics shouldn't colour what we think of this idea.There are many rural areas that will really benefit as well as busy places.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 17:10:36

GrannyGravy13

We haven’t had a named officer in my area for over 15 years.

A good idea to reinstate this countrywide.

good job that people in real life are not so negative as the threads on GN.

JaneJudge Tue 27-Jul-21 19:57:33

If you are on facebook they usually have a <your towns name> community police or safety officer team page. Or if you look on your county police page, they'll have links to it.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 19:57:44

This isn't a negative thread though lemon.

We are just chatting.

JaneJudge Tue 27-Jul-21 19:58:53

lemongrove

trisher it's really not like community work, giving talks on crime and how to help yourself etc. to schools and care homes.
nor is it a Tory scam.
look at Manchester and what Burnham says about it.
politics shouldn't colour what we think of this idea.There are many rural areas that will really benefit as well as busy places.

we are rural, we have a very active community policing team

grannyactivist Tue 27-Jul-21 20:16:05

We have a Neighbourhood Beat Officer whose number is on speed dial on my phone, this is not a new initiative. However, the local police station was closed to callers years ago and with barely any police officers available to respond to crimes I’m not sure what the advantage of knowing a police officers name actually is.

In addition to having a very close professional working relationship with my local force we have a Chief Inspector, a detective and a PC in the family, so I have an informed view of policing in my area. There are simply not enough officers - and ‘naming’ the ones there are won’t alter that.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 20:21:24

If you don’t think that this is something new......why is Keir Starmer railing against it?
It is not about a local beat officer for goodness sake, or simply knowing an officers name.Jeezy peeps as another poster sometimes says.?

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 20:29:47

lemongrove

Manchester got them a few months ago, and Burnham is full of praise for them.They didn't have them before.
so a good idea for everywhere to have them.

I'm sure they've had them much longer than that to be honest.
They've had them for years everywhere I've lived/worked for sure.
Not enough of them certainly!

JaneJudge Tue 27-Jul-21 20:39:40

I haven't found anything else when 'looking it up myself' lemongrove, maybe your son in law could come and explain to us then

JaneJudge Tue 27-Jul-21 20:40:18

we have no on the beat officers fwiw