Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yet another cause for National Shame.

(50 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:15:42

I am referring to the disgraceful situation whereby Afghan nationals who were working as interpretors and other such roles during the conflict are now being refused sanctuary here. I know that some have already, but the news is of several hundred who have been refused or are still waiting. Several major military figures from all forces are trying to get this sorted and have spoken of their shame at the situation. The Taliban do not hold a trial, if you are considered to have 'collaborated' then you and your family are likely to be executed. Presumably this is a Home Office matter, namely the kindhearted and understanding Ms Patel?

Alegrias1 Thu 29-Jul-21 09:00:25

That was full of grammatical errors but I'm so annoyed I typed too fast!!

25Avalon Thu 29-Jul-21 09:03:56

Joe Biden has pulled out the American troops and this has left the opportunity for the Taliban to take over again with devastating results. Today I read the Taliban are in talks with China who offering support.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 11:11:19

Alegrias
Many in the Forces over very many years have been annoyed and aghast at some of the decisions made by those they term 'the penpushers' at the MOD.

Pammie1 Thu 29-Jul-21 11:14:29

“National Shame’ isn’t correct. I agree, it is a matter that shames us, but we’re not the only country doing it.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Jul-21 11:18:54

What will the excuse be when the Taliban start executing them, as they surely will?

We have a chance to save 4000 souls.

GillT57 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:21:07

Lincslass

I read some of them committed crimes which would have resulted in imprisonment in the UK. They were dismissed and have no rights to come to Britain. We have enough criminals already here, don’t need anymore, do we.

Pathetic. Give facts and figures, not rumours please.

GillT57 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:25:51

Whitewavemark2

What will the excuse be when the Taliban start executing them, as they surely will?

We have a chance to save 4000 souls.

Ah, but they are 'others' aren't they? Just like the ones the RNLI are supposed to leave to drown. I don't know what disgusts me more, the politicians who make these statements and decisions or the people who support them and think it is acceptable. Actually, I do know, it is the government's apologists, how some people sleep at night is beyond me. So much for what we are told is a Christian country.

Alegrias1 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:34:53

GillT57 ???

westendgirl Thu 29-Jul-21 13:18:41

Well said GillT57.
It is a matter of real shame that we are not rushing to get these families to safety. I believe that the US are in a hurry to get them out . We aren't , why ?

MaizieD Thu 29-Jul-21 13:59:08

Alegrias1

GillT57 ???

Hear, hear!

Lincslass Thu 29-Jul-21 15:06:49

GillT57

Lincslass

I read some of them committed crimes which would have resulted in imprisonment in the UK. They were dismissed and have no rights to come to Britain. We have enough criminals already here, don’t need anymore, do we.

As I said to another poster, you’d better check with the MOD, this was taken from the report by BBC.

Sarnia Thu 29-Jul-21 15:07:16

I read that interpreters families were being left behind in Afghanistan. Surely they don't expect these men to come here on their own? What price safety for their wives and children left behind to face the understanding and compassion of the Taliban. These men took huge risks to help our servicemen and this is the thanks they get.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:02:45

Lincslass

GillT57

Lincslass

As I said to another poster, you’d better check with the MOD, this was taken from the report by BBC.

I am sorry to read your posts. I’m sure you don’t intend for them to appear so heartless.

GillT57 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:21:16

Lincslass

GillT57

Lincslass

I first heard about this continuing shame on BBC when several senior military personnel were talking about it.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:37:29

The BBC news channel had an item on this subject this morning.

2,000 + Afghan Nationals have been relocated by the U.K.

I would like to see the reasoning behind the denying the few (100) relocation before jumping to conclusions.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Jul-21 13:34:31

westendgirl

Well said GillT57.
It is a matter of real shame that we are not rushing to get these families to safety. I believe that the US are in a hurry to get them out . We aren't , why ?

They are at last trying to get them out.
They have not been in a hurry previously.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Jul-21 13:35:13

And yes, I believe it IS a total disgrace

lemongrove Sat 31-Jul-21 13:52:17

GrannyGravy13

The BBC news channel had an item on this subject this morning.

2,000 + Afghan Nationals have been relocated by the U.K.

I would like to see the reasoning behind the denying the few (100) relocation before jumping to conclusions.

.... but GG13 jumping to conclusions and using emotional language about any subject is what some posters do all the time on this forum.
Since a large number of Afghan interpreters are already settled here successfully there must be a reason that there is a delay now in settling others.

Dinahmo Sat 31-Jul-21 14:37:32

Lemongrove Perhaps it's all the antagonism to refugees (some of which is on here) that is the reason for delaying bringing more over.

GillT57 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:48:45

but GG13 jumping to conclusions and using emotional language about any subject is what some posters do all the time on this forum

And blindly accepting everything the Government tell you is what others do all the time, so that makes things well balanced I think.

Cherrytree59 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:14:48

Heated throw (amazon or argos)
I use a hot water bottle whenever I feel cold.
Have been known to walk around with one tucked under my arm.

I remember one very cold day a few years ago, out with my sister doing a supermarket shop, I actually purchased a hot oven-ready chicken just to carry around in my hands.?
It also tasted very nice for tea.

Cherrytree59 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:16:31

Erm this isn't the hot or cold thread is it?????

lemongrove Sat 31-Jul-21 17:02:14

Cherry ? well, posters do blow hot and cold at times.

lemongrove Sat 31-Jul-21 17:05:29

Perhaps when the facts are clear about the delay in the processing/vetting of the Afghan workers who want to come and live here, we can usefully talk about it.Until then it’s just
Speculation.
If we have taken in nearly 2,000 already it’s highly unlikely to have anything to do with antagonism to refugees.